Motorbike (etc.) morons on bridleways

Old August 15th 04, 11:27 PM
Chris Bardell

Default Motorbike (etc.) morons on bridleways

Today, Marriott's Way (part of NCN1) between Drayton & Costessey (w. of
Norwich). Technically a bridleway.

Idiot-boyz (c.16yo) screaming about on a trike-type thing (like a quad-
bike but with three wheels). Families with kids having leisure rides or
walking dogs, etc. At least 3 back-and-forth flat-out burns along about a
mile-long stretch, that I saw. Very dangerous.

At one point one of them rode the thing up behind me, so I slowed down to
a crawl to block his way & p!ss him off. When he got past me & met up
with another moron further ahead to go back again, I stopped & confronted
them - didn't tw@t him one, didn't even swear, just had a strong verbal
go at him for endangering people & that he shouldn't be on the track. Got
some weedy response back about 'we didn't know that we weren't allowed on
here'. They then screamed off at top speed again.

I've previously seen other brain-dead/bored teen types burning up & down
this stretch on motorbikes. What am I supposed to do? Today's lot were
flying up & down the track, with no regard for anyone's safety. A quad-
type thing hitting a littl'un at 30mph+ doesn't bear thinking about. I
wouldn't imagine the police could/would do much, as the track runs along
an old railway line & as such, has no road access for Jam Sandwiches. No
cycle-cops that I know of round here. So, worth phoning the coppers? Has
anyone here had a similar problem & gotten a result? If so, how?

Thanks.

--
Chris Bardell
[Remove favourite mode of transport from email address]
Old August 15th 04, 11:38 PM
Sandy Morton

In article , Chris Bardell
wrote:
Has anyone here had a similar problem & gotten a result? If so,
how?

I haven't had this problem but two answers come to mind. A packet of
inch carpet tacks might help. If the local plod aren't around a
spade is a very necessary household implement to take with you into
the country.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old August 16th 04, 12:08 AM
Kevin Stone

"Sandy Morton" wrote:

a spade is a very necessary household implement to take with you into the

country.

Especially if you also take a metal detector [1], or perhaps a single fossil
[2] in your pocket to demonstrate our true activity

[1] common, but large
[2] small, but rarer

--
Kev

Old August 16th 04, 01:10 AM
Whingin' Pom

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:38:51 +0100, Sandy Morton
() wrote:

In article , Chris Bardell
wrote:
Has anyone here had a similar problem & gotten a result? If so,
how?

I haven't had this problem but two answers come to mind. A packet of
inch carpet tacks might help. If the local plod aren't around a
spade is a very necessary household implement to take with you into
the country.

Carpet tacks may well injure animals, cyclists u.s.w. Make sure the
spade is a nice, long handled job and...

SPANG!

digdigdigdigdigdig

heaveeuurgghthaflump

tamptamptamptamptamp

your problem is solved. You may even get a reward for "finding" the
"abandoned" quad bike.

--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ
Old August 16th 04, 01:51 AM
Andy Dingley

On 15 Aug 2004 22:27:12 GMT, Chris Bardell
wrote:

Idiot-boyz (c.16yo) screaming about on a trike-type thing (like a quad-
bike but with three wheels).

He's quite probably dead by now. Those three wheelers are _seriously_
dangerous (tendency to roll over). They're now sufficiently banned
that you can't even sell the things, let alone use them on any public
land. Ask any farmer how many people they know who had accidents with
them, before the four-wheelers took over.

Forget the calthrops though - the tread on those tyres is thick
enough you'd never reach through it.

Old August 16th 04, 02:01 AM
Chris Bardell

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

He's quite probably dead by now. Those three wheelers are _seriously_
dangerous (tendency to roll over). They're now sufficiently banned
that you can't even sell the things, let alone use them on any public
land.

Yeah, I'm almost certain he is. I forgot to mention that the back axle of
the tri-bike was definitely bent, and the wheel on that side was wobbling
around in a mad, eccentric way as they bombed along.

They must have a deathwish. Still, as long as it's them & not some poor sod
walking or cycling along...
Old August 16th 04, 04:05 AM
Graeme

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

He's quite probably dead by now. Those three wheelers are _seriously_
dangerous (tendency to roll over). They're now sufficiently banned
that you can't even sell the things, let alone use them on any public
land. Ask any farmer how many people they know who had accidents with
them, before the four-wheelers took over.

I was flicking channels on Saturday night and caught a brief snippet of one
of the Police Academy movies (not brief enough, mind you). The scene was
one where one of these trikes was chasing a ute along the beach. It
reminded me of just how lethal these things are as the trike looked close
to flipping on several occasions.

Graeme
Old August 16th 04, 07:34 AM
Paul - xxx

Sandy Morton vaguely muttered something like ...
In article , Chris Bardell
wrote:
Has anyone here had a similar problem & gotten a result? If so,
how?

I haven't had this problem but two answers come to mind. A packet of
inch carpet tacks might help.

On a bridle way ? .. You're a fool if you do this, unless you mean you also
take _all_ of them home again ..

If the local plod aren't around a
spade is a very necessary household implement to take with you into
the country.

What would you use a spade for on a bridleway ?

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Old August 16th 04, 08:14 AM
Tony B

I've previously seen other brain-dead/bored teen types burning up & down
this stretch on motorbikes. What am I supposed to do?

Call the police, it's an offence. They are paid to sort this sort of thing
out. Ultimately they will take the "vehicle" off them. You could also try
calling the council and asking them what they do to allow bored teens to get
involved with motorsports legally, without causing problems for others,
hmm... maybe I know the answer to that already.....

As for tacks, spades etc - you all do yourselves a disservice with such
nonsense. I have been on the other end of that sort of thing, and it's not
nice. Simply replace "motorbike" with "MTB" and consider the result.

Or maybe you all think an appropriate response to kids breaking the law is
instant break-yer-face justice, dished out by whoever appears to have the
higher moral goround??

Thought not...

bfn,

Tony B

Old August 16th 04, 09:34 AM
Mark Thompson

Or maybe you all think an appropriate response to kids breaking the
law is instant break-yer-face justice, dished out by whoever appears
to have the higher moral goround??

It depends on how much lip you get from 'em - they'll thank you later :-)

Letters to VeloNews about Hamilton -- a lot of morons John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 1 October 2nd 04 07:04 PM
Bridleways and going up hills Doki UK 29 April 5th 04 03:09 PM
left turn law. What morons made this law? Brink General 26 November 18th 03 03:06 PM