Peripheral Neuropathy: Any Riders Dealing With It Successfully?

Old March 6th 13, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default Peripheral Neuropathy: Any Riders Dealing With It Successfully?

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...w=1152&bih=610
Old March 6th 13, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/6/2013 9:51 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 6, 8:59 am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Frank Krygowski:

I'm not familiar with the syndrome. It sounds like you've lost sense
of touch in your feet, is that correct?

Yes. Little or no useful information comes back from them. Plenty
other info... just nothing useful.

It also sounds like you're riding with flat pedals and no toe clips or
other retention devices. While others have disparaged my choice, I
really like platform pedals with toe clips and slightly loose straps.
I wonder if they would work for you.

That's where I am right now on my SS - and it has been working for quite
a few years. Went down three times in two days last week, but never
before over all those years - and I suspect it was because of a
mis-adjusted strap. Because of my size fifteens, I have to do unnatural
things to the toe clips (padding them forward...) but, all-in-all it
works.

Unless somebody comes up with something better, I'll probably convert my
other bikes. I just wasn't in love with having to slip that foot into
the strap every time I started out from a stop. Maybe it's time to get
*really* good at track strands.... -)

I've talked about the fact that the Lyotard Mod. 23 pedals are so very
easy to enter. There are now (better) clones on the market, for
example
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=53437
although I'm not sure how they'd do for really large feet.

But another option: On one of my bikes, I've got a much more
conventional pedal fitted with toe clips. Those pedals have a rear
face that's square and vertical, the kind of thing that's not very
easy to slip into.

But I added accessories I bought many years ago. I think they were
called "toe flips." They're made of thin galvanized sheet steel, they
bolt onto the back of the pedal in the same way toe clips bolt onto
the front, and they protrude somewhat like the "funnel" tab on the
pedals I linked above (or the Mod. 23 Lyotards).

The ones I have actually protrude both at the top and the bottom. But
they make it very easy to flip the pedal upright, and to guide my foot
into the toe clip. Hard to describe the shape, but I'll try.

It's as if you took a 2" wide by 1.7" high piece of 20 gauge steel
sheet (0.035" thick), drilled two holes and bolted it to the back of
the pedal so it protruded both upwards and downwards, then bent the
protrusions so they both angled downward and back when the pedal was
in its normal horizontal position. Vaguely like this, in the ASCII
art side view:

|----\

|-----\

There are refinements to the shape - little curls and cutouts that
increase their effectiveness. But overall, they're pretty simple
devices that probably sold for less than five bucks. And I can slip
into those pedals as easily as into my Lyotards.

My real point is, you can take some suitable metal and tin snips and
make something to improve your situation. (And if your large feet
need more platform than the pedals in the photo provide, you might be
able to extend their platform size, using some aluminum alloy plate.)

Good luck!

- Frank Krygowski

Thousand words, picture, etc:

http://www.wigglestatic.com/images/m...=350&h=350&a=7

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 6th 13, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Mar 6, 12:16*pm, datakoll wrote:
TRY SWIMMING

STRETCHING

SLEEP WITH FEET ELEVATED

stop cycling

any of these may help but possibly the simplest, is to go for a walk,
of around 1 to 2 miles, of an evening then return to a warm bath
before getting into a warm bed.
The stretching of which I mentioned previously is not that of
muscle but of lymph vessels, think what a ballet dancer does when
pointing toes. I forgot to mention before that the stretch requires
holding usually for at least 20 seconds and sometimes up to 30 seconds
to get the muscles to trigger and drive the lymph.
Old March 6th 13, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 6, 12:22*pm, AMuzi wrote:

Thousand words, picture, etc:

http://www.wigglestatic.com/images/m...pg?w=350&h=350....

That's not the same product that are on mine (mine are more
complicated in shape), but it's the same idea.

Before doing all that typing, I searched Yellow Jersey (etc.) looking
for such things, but struck out.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 6th 13, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/6/2013 2:22 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 6, 12:22 pm, AMuzi wrote:

Thousand words, picture, etc:

http://www.wigglestatic.com/images/m...pg?w=350&h=350...

That's not the same product that are on mine (mine are more
complicated in shape), but it's the same idea.

Before doing all that typing, I searched Yellow Jersey (etc.) looking
for such things, but struck out.

- Frank Krygowski

We stock them but not on web pages.
Somewhere in the realm of esoterica...

Old March 7th 13, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

FOR US platform users, the pictured gizmo does what ?
Old March 7th 13, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

have you tried a recumbent ?

we all grow old. my skinned knees no longer heal in 2 weeks. Now healing takes 3 months.

I ran on Florida's beaches curing a not diagnosed lung infection. Maybe 9000 miles worth.

Stopped eating red meat when I ran into a barrier of sore n stiff joints at 9 miles. I'm paranormal so my guess was prescient and LO ! without red meat in a month the distance was 12-13 miles at a marathon clip n no sore joints.

One wonders abt attention deficit syndromes. Deficit to Gauss ? or Joe Dimaggio ?

At 50, general opinion is nerve impulses have slowed so the hands of a ranked racing car driver can no longer keep speed. Not mentioning the hand/eye coordination prob.

For awhile one may force the issue n overcome the deficit but on the horizon lies a point where forcing becomes a hit or miss action.
Old March 7th 13, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/6/2013 5:31 PM, datakoll wrote:
FOR US platform users, the pictured gizmo does what ?

It's a bolt-on piece to make you pedal look like this on the
back side:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/LY23_RIP.JPG

Old March 7th 13, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/6/2013 5:41 PM, datakoll wrote:
have you tried a recumbent ?

we all grow old. my skinned knees no longer heal in 2 weeks. Now healing takes 3 months.

I ran on Florida's beaches curing a not diagnosed lung infection. Maybe 9000 miles worth.

Stopped eating red meat when I ran into a barrier of sore n stiff joints at 9 miles. I'm paranormal so my guess was prescient and LO ! without red meat in a month the distance was 12-13 miles at a marathon clip n no sore joints.

One wonders abt attention deficit syndromes. Deficit to Gauss ? or Joe Dimaggio ?

At 50, general opinion is nerve impulses have slowed so the hands of a ranked racing car driver can no longer keep speed. Not mentioning the hand/eye coordination prob.

For awhile one may force the issue n overcome the deficit but on the horizon lies a point where forcing becomes a hit or miss action.

Tom Sherman rides one for us, so we don't have to.

Old March 7th 13, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Mar 5, 9:24*pm, Peter Gordon petergoATnetspace.net.au wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote :

I've got something called "Insidiously-progressive ideopathic

peripheral
neuropathy" - which seems to be medical terminology for "Your sensory
nerves are slowly dying, we have no clue why, there's nothing to be

done
about it... that will be $150.00, and you can pay the receptionist on
the way out."

I have never heard of your disease before so don't know if this helps.
I use half clips when touring. *They allow the use of a non-clipless
shoes which are far better for walking and is one less thing to break
and ruin a tour.
Amazons have them, beware of a broken line:http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Bicycle-.../dp/B000FSQQMS
If that link does not work use:
"Amazons Delta Bicycle Strapless Toe Clips" as the search phrase in
Google.

Another type, which I have not tried:http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...alf-clips.html

Zefal used to sell them and may still do. *I've used Zefal Half
Clips and found them good. *The Delta ones are also quite good.

I think this would be an appropriate compromise for Pete -- some of
the MKS urban pedals with the Delta strapless clips -- shimmed out to
accommodate his giant feet. I used something along those lines when
I was riding in an orthopedic boot after breaking my leg(s). The
plastic is somewhat forgiving, so toe/shoe smash is lessened (and why
I would not get the chromed half-clips). Olde-tyme touring shoe with
ridges also help stabilize the foot without trapping it. It looks
like peripheral neuropathy can cause weak ankles, so easy exit will be
important, and notwithstanding my love for SPDs, they do require some
ankle strength and flexibility.

-- Jay Beattie.