Habanero Ti

Old March 19th 17, 09:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Habanero Ti

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:53:21 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/18/2017 3:45 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 2:18:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:

At the age of that bike you probably won't have any worries but many ti bikes are built with improper welds that will crack. I said this to people several times and they have told me I'm FOS.

But two years ago one of our fast riders showed up with a Linskey and I told him about that and the whole group made a joke of me on the entire ride.

The following week I pointed out a crack on his downtube. Luckily with a new bike he could get a replacement frame.

So you are saying Lynskey, and Litespeed back when Lynskey started the company, don't know how to weld titanium? I have a Litespeed Tuscany, made before Lynskey sold the company, and I have not noticed any cracks or defects. But then I don't inspect the frame with a magnifying glass before and after every ride. I just ride the bike, and it rides fine every time. Many, many thousands of miles on the frame. Can't say whether your story is true or not. But I suspect every manufacturer has a defect every once in awhile. Even Rolls Royces and Rolexes need warranty work once in awhile. Its not like an anvil, where essentially nothing can break.

But someday, when we have carbon fiber anvils...

:-) Actually anvils do break from time to time :-) Almost any
blacksmithing group will have some wild stories about repairing anvils
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 19th 17, 10:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

On 3/18/2017 3:45 PM, wrote:
[...]

You can repair anvils!? I'd have left it out back and waited for a
meteorite strike...

Old March 19th 17, 01:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 8:18:28 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 5:39:24 PM UTC-7, wrote:
So I bought one today road bike Team issue 58 cm. Riding carbon last 8 years and steel before that. I am hoping to catch the steel road ride that is an upgrade. The carbon bike is fine but seems 2 carbons are same thing, so give the TI a ride.

Anyone think this could be nuts? I do but hey.....

Deacon Mark

At the age of that bike you probably won't have any worries but many ti bikes are built with improper welds that will crack. I said this to people several times and they have told me I'm FOS.

But two years ago one of our fast riders showed up with a Linskey and I told him about that and the whole group made a joke of me on the entire ride.

Mmm, a buddy shows up with a new bike and this is the first thing you come up with? You are a fun guy to talk to....

The following week I pointed out a crack on his downtube. Luckily with a new bike he could get a replacement frame.

I better stay away from you ;-)

Lou
Old March 19th 17, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 12:45:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Are you a dumbass? Do you think that you can see overhardening because of welding? Do you think that you can detect it except AFTER the failure? The crack I pointed out was a couple of inches long. This occurs very rapidly and not in some slow motion like some asshole trying to protect his reputation wants to pretend. If your bike hasn't broken in a year or so it probably won't but Ti bikes are famous for cracking longitudinally from welds. Even my Colnago BiTitan cracked along one of it's downtubes. And since I had bought it new I was just SOL. These cracks are rarely dangerous as far as I've seen but they would grow to be dangerous if you continued riding them.
Old March 19th 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 5:15:14 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Lou, so you think he should have gone unwarned? Do you think that I shouldn't have showed that crack to him and let him ride a 40 mph downhill with us as well?
Old March 20th 17, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

On 3/18/2017 3:45 PM, wrote:
[...]

Ah, but you are just exposing your ignorance of the subject. You see,
to a blacksmith an anvil is a very, one might almost say essential,
part of his equipment, much the same as, say wheels, to a bicyclist.

So yes, re-facing an anvil, for example, is a common subject in the
blacksmithing world.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 20th 17, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 10:47:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Even my Colnago BiTitan cracked along one of it's downtubes. And since I had bought it new I was just SOL. These cracks are rarely dangerous as far as I've seen but they would grow to be dangerous if you continued riding them.

??? I'll assume SOL means "Sh-t Out of Luck". Right? Anyway, if you bought the Colnago bike NEW, as you state, why couldn't you get warranty work on it? Most warranties are for the original owner. And extend for years/forever if its a manufacturing defect. Why didn't you just take your bought NEW bike back to the shop and say give me a warranty replacement? It sounds like truth and your stories don't add up correctly.
Old March 20th 17, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

So on this Ti do I need anti seize instead of grease and should I do a yearly pull of crank and BB. I don't do it with my bikes now but Ti can cause galv corrosion with Al. I don't think these is any al on the bike as such.

Habanero? Doug Landau Techniques 22 January 25th 17 07:18 PM
Habanero ? kolldata Techniques 7 February 7th 11 01:07 AM
Built the Habanero [email protected] General 15 October 5th 07 08:36 AM
Help me fix Habanero mt bike? [email protected] Techniques 50 September 9th 04 07:32 AM
Help me fix Habanero mt bike? [email protected] Mountain Biking 10 August 27th 04 08:09 PM