New Ohio law: Drivers leave 3-foot gap to pass bicyclists

Old March 21st 17, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default New French Law Fights 15cm Thigh Gap

On 3/21/2017 3:21 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 8:08:07 AM UTC-7, Garrison Hilliard wrote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A new Ohio law requires drivers to allow at
least 3 feet of space when passing bicyclists on the road, though some
cyclists say it's tough to enforce and not a strong enough deterrent
to cars zipping past too closely.

Enough, already!

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...-gap-1.3020909

I see a blank page but a web search led to some interesting
images, mostly NSFW. Thanks!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 21st 17, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry Beams

Default New Ohio law: Drivers leave 3-foot gap to pass bicyclists

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 8:08:07 AM UTC-7, Garrison Hilliard wrote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A new Ohio law requires drivers to allow at
least 3 feet of space when passing bicyclists on the road, though some
cyclists say it's tough to enforce and not a strong enough deterrent
to cars zipping past too closely.

Some Ohio cities, including Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus,
already had similar requirements.

The measure that took effect Tuesday is among 17 bills that Republican
Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) signed late last year. It adds the
specific 3-foot passing provision to Ohio law, which previously
required allowing a generic "safe distance."

The Plain Dealer reports Ohio joins more than half the states in the
country in setting that specification as part of law to help protect
bicyclists.

http://www.fox19.com/story/34960657/...ass-bicyclists

Problem with these laws is that the wording fails toe specify what point three feet is measured from. Three feet from the centerline of the bike frame? three feet from the end of the handlebar? Never as it should be stated, as three feet from the furthest most outward point of the bicyclist + bicycle assembly, typically the bicyclist's left hip, shoulder or elbow.

Old March 21st 17, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:36:41 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 3/21/2017 8:21 AM, wrote:
[...]

You will probably have the same effect as California - they will give you room for about three months and then forget about it unless there's a cop present.

Wrong. They give me lots of room. But I have taken measures that
encourage this to occur. Yes, it's nerdy, but it works amazingly well.

I use a a much shorter flag than the one being sold by the company
below, but it is still very effective. http://takeyourlane.com/

Now I just have to wait for my check from them.

All it needs is a nice carbide scriber on the tip - - -
Old March 21st 17, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi writes:

On 3/21/2017 3:21 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 8:08:07 AM UTC-7, Garrison Hilliard wrote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A new Ohio law requires drivers to allow at
least 3 feet of space when passing bicyclists on the road, though some
cyclists say it's tough to enforce and not a strong enough deterrent
to cars zipping past too closely.

Enough, already!

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...-gap-1.3020909

I see a blank page but a web search led to some interesting images,
mostly NSFW. Thanks!

I was able to read the text, which talked about a French modeling
requirement for a 15 cm thigh gap. 15 cm (almost 6 inches) seems
incredible to me, surely they mean 15 mm. SI incompetence in a Canadian
publication?

ObBicycle: What sort of saddle would suit such an unusual person?

Old March 21st 17, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 2:59:41 PM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
AMuzi writes:

On 3/21/2017 3:21 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 8:08:07 AM UTC-7, Garrison Hilliard wrote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A new Ohio law requires drivers to allow at
least 3 feet of space when passing bicyclists on the road, though some
cyclists say it's tough to enforce and not a strong enough deterrent
to cars zipping past too closely.

Enough, already!

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...-gap-1.3020909

I see a blank page but a web search led to some interesting images,
mostly NSFW. Thanks!

I was able to read the text, which talked about a French modeling
requirement for a 15 cm thigh gap. 15 cm (almost 6 inches) seems
incredible to me, surely they mean 15 mm. SI incompetence in a Canadian
publication?

ObBicycle: What sort of saddle would suit such an unusual person?

Funny you should ask I have just the thing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byk...ew?usp=sharing
Old March 21st 17, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry Beams

[...]

Problem with these laws is that the wording fails toe specify what point three feet is measured from. Three feet from the centerline of the bike frame? three feet from the end of the handlebar? three feet from the furthest most outward point of the bicyclist + bicycle assembly, typically the bicyclist's left hip, shoulder or elbow.
Old March 22nd 17, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Barry Beams
wrote:

[...]

3 feet of "clearance" - it's pretty obvious it is from thepart of the
bike or rider closest to the center-line.
Old March 22nd 17, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

says the man who is not a defense attorney.

No matter how illogical, cases are won on ridiculous
interpretations of seemingly clear English words.

Old March 22nd 17, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 8:36:48 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 3/21/2017 8:21 AM, wrote:
[...]

If I get to a place where I'm subject to close passes on a routine basis, I take the lane. Seems to work. In fact, I was experimenting this morning going over the bridges, and the Frank theory proved true: ride close in, get close passes. Ride out, no passes. That isn't always the case. Some people give me plenty of room when I'm AFRAP and some pass closely even when I'm in the middle of the lane. I can legally take the lane, so I'm not flaunting the law. He https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgYXYtzbv0w That's the first bridge. The second bridge is more of the same.

Much of it has to do with car size. The Minis and Prius squeeze by dangerously -- many with the dopey bicycle license plates. They're the worst. Like that video shows, the big cars usually, but not always, hang back. What I hate is getting out into traffic at the hip in the road and having cars that want to keep me from getting on to the bridge so they don't get inconvenienced. We have super-duper flashers now that help somewhat, but the induction loops are too close to the bridges and put riders too far right (to hit the loops)before they have to get into traffic. http://tinyurl.com/lt4jxfn Maybe a flag would help some place where I don't want to take the lane, but it's far too dopey. Sorry.

-- Jay Beattie.