Cycling on pavements

Old May 25th 09, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Default Cycling on pavements

Mr. Benn wrote:

Typical. The posted speed limit is the maximum legal speed, not the
maximum safe speed which is determined by driving conditions and your
choice of vehicle. In your case, a light-framed bit of metal and rubber
with no protection apart from your helmet (if you bother to wear one).

Now go over to the motorcycling ng and say that ;-)

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 25th 09, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn

Keith T wrote in
:

Mr. Benn wrote:

Typical. The posted speed limit is the maximum legal speed, not the
maximum safe speed which is determined by driving conditions and your
choice of vehicle. In your case, a light-framed bit of metal and
rubber with no protection apart from your helmet (if you bother to
wear one).

Now go over to the motorcycling ng and say that ;-)

They have leathers and high-spec helmets.
Old May 25th 09, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

NM wrote:
On 25 May, 09:28, spindrift wrote:

Plus, if you really do hug the kerb, you have NO ROOM to manoever
should a vehicle pass too close.

You're riding dangerously.

If you were riding where you were supposed to be then vehicles would
not pass "too close" it's your positioning at fault.

Back to primary position again - oh sorry, it doesn't exist, does it?

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 25th 09, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

NM wrote:
On 25 May, 11:23, "mileburner" wrote:
"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote in message

Slow down then or fit tyres suitable for the road surface.

25mph is not generally considered too fast when the posted speed limit is
higher. My tyres are fine for the road surface.

How can that be if they can't cope with the speed you want to maintain
and the track you should be required to keep to, obviously you are
inadequately equipped.

Hmm, skinny tyres - good for at least 40 mph.
Lumpy knobblies on an MTB - slow.
Could always go for MTB slicks, fast and grippy on tarmac.
My tyres are fine at 35mph and they are nothing special -
Nimbus Ex 700 x 38 @80lbs

These are proper tyres you know, not run-flat or the 60kmh emergency
spares for cars.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 25th 09, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Default common sense was Cycling on pavements

Roger Thorpe wrote:

I can see why "common sense" might make you think this, but experience
shows it is not the case.

I wonder why people refer to 'common sense' when everyone seems to have
a diferent idea what it is. Sure ain't 'common', the only thing common
is it's a common misconception used to get others to adjust thier way of
thinking.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 25th 09, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly Polly

Bod wrote:
spindrift wrote:
On May 25, 9:05 am, Bod wrote:
spindrift wrote:
On May 25, 7:52 am, Bod wrote:
Being a cyclist myself,I'm amazed at the number of people who
deliberately ride on the footpath,even though there is a cycle lane.
They expect pedestrians to move out of their way as well,they seem
to make the rules up as they go along,they are totally out of order.
Bod
Which cycle lane do you mean Bod?
The road type.

Bod

You mean it's not segregated?

Where is this cycle lane please, we can't be expected to evaluate the
efficacy or otherwise of a lane you refuse to describe...

There are circumstances where the pavement can be safer than cycle
lanes that force cyclists to yield at junctions, share with children
on bikes and old ladies with shopping bags and telephone boxes and bus
stops etc etc.

Which cycle lane are you referring to specifically Bod?

Or are you unable to say because you're trolling?

The one in Langley Park Rd,Langley,Bucks.

Bod

I can't see a cycle lane there, not until you get to Station Road and
then only little one at the lights. Could be out of date of course.

http://tinyurl.com/q9gk5o
Old May 25th 09, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote in message
"mileburner" wrote in
:

"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote in message

Slow down then or fit tyres suitable for the road surface.

25mph is not generally considered too fast when the posted speed limit
is higher. My tyres are fine for the road surface.

Typical. The posted speed limit is the maximum legal speed, not the
maximum safe speed which is determined by driving conditions and your
choice of vehicle. In your case, a light-framed bit of metal and rubber
with no protection apart from your helmet (if you bother to wear one).

It's fine, really it is. My road bike is quite safe on the road at 25 even
35 mph. It is not safe at those speeds either in the gutter, or on shared
cycle/footways.

Old May 25th 09, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote in message

The "posted speed limit" applies to motor vehicles and is irrelevant
to a cyclists (Except for a few Royal Parks).

A bit like the rest of the Highway Code then.

The posted speed limits only apply to motor vehicles but it would be unwise
to exceed those limits on a pedal cycle.

Old May 25th 09, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

Jolly Polly wrote:
Bod wrote:
spindrift wrote:
On May 25, 9:05 am, Bod wrote:
spindrift wrote:
On May 25, 7:52 am, Bod wrote:
[...]

Yes,it's out of date.Next time I go past,I'll check where it starts.
It does go through to Langley village though.

Bod

Old May 25th 09, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 25 May 2009 12:18:33 +0100 someone who may be Bod
wrote this:-

Which are written by the Driving Standards Agency, whose level of Clue
in respect of cycling is adequately indicated by their name. Try
Cyclecraft, it's vastly more specific to cycling, for obvious reasons,
and does not give generic one size fits all "rules" which may be the
precise opposite of safe behaviour in some circumstances (e.g.
roundabouts).

If you choose to break the rules of the H/Code,that's your prerogative.

Nice try. However, with regard to road positioning Cyclecraft
doesn't advocate breaking any rules in the Highway Code, it merely
provides more information on correct positioning.

You have read Cyclecraft I take it? Or are you just making
assertions about something you know little about?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Motorists who park on pavements bob UK 15 March 11th 08 01:12 PM
why cycling on pavements shouldnt be allowed thrawn UK 9 September 18th 06 03:11 PM
pavements and vehicles james UK 8 June 9th 04 01:09 PM
Cycling on Pavements Tony Raven UK 12 February 11th 04 12:37 AM
Cycling on Pavements?? Beany UK 110 January 23rd 04 08:36 PM