Cycling on pavements

Old May 25th 09, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly Polly

Default Cycling on pavements

Adam Lea wrote:
Bod wrote:
Kerbside cycle lane are brilliant IMHO.I've never felt safer than when
I'm riding in them.I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Really?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me.../March2005.htm

guess that sort of thing doesn't go in Langley,Bucks - lucky folk
Old May 25th 09, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Mr. Benn wrote:
Keith T wrote in
:

Mr. Benn wrote:

Typical. The posted speed limit is the maximum legal speed, not the
maximum safe speed which is determined by driving conditions and your
choice of vehicle. In your case, a light-framed bit of metal and
rubber with no protection apart from your helmet (if you bother to
wear one).

Now go over to the motorcycling ng and say that ;-)

They have leathers and high-spec helmets.

The buzzing hordes of pizza deliverers don't usually appear to be garbed
in the latest gear.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 25th 09, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 25 May 2009 13:36:45 +0100 someone who may be Bod
wrote this:-

But I have none of these perceived problems that you seem to have.

Any problems, perceived or not, I may or may not have are not part
of the discussion.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old May 25th 09, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Mon, 25 May 2009 11:52:40 +0100, "Nigel Cliffe"
wrote:

Mr. Benn wrote:
"mileburner" wrote in
:

"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote in message

Slow down then or fit tyres suitable for the road surface.

25mph is not generally considered too fast when the posted speed
limit is higher. My tyres are fine for the road surface.

Typical. The posted speed limit is the maximum legal speed,

The "posted speed limit" applies to motor vehicles and is irrelevant to a
cyclists (Except for a few Royal Parks).

Here we go again.

When the legislation was introduced there was probably no
consideration for speed limits to be considered for cycles as they
were not considered vehicles which traveled at "speed" ; therefore
they were not specifically included.

However - I am a cyclist - I am selfish - I will totally ignore the
maximum speed limit because there is a legal loop-hole which allows me
to.

As you say the limit is "irrelevant to a cyclists" - sums it up quite
nicely - thanks.

Another good one is that you can overtake on a pedestrian crossing and
its approaches - they are also "irrelevant to a cyclists"

--
Posts from IP Address: 80.254.146.36 to URC over 6 years = 7

Guy Chapman : 5
Lou Knee: 2

Coincidence or nym shift?

(Guy does not deny all 7 were from him)

Old May 25th 09, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Mon, 25 May 2009 13:28:03 +0100, "mileburner"
wrote:

"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote in message
"mileburner" wrote in
:

"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote in message

Slow down then or fit tyres suitable for the road surface.

25mph is not generally considered too fast when the posted speed limit
is higher. My tyres are fine for the road surface.

Typical. The posted speed limit is the maximum legal speed, not the
maximum safe speed which is determined by driving conditions and your
choice of vehicle. In your case, a light-framed bit of metal and rubber
with no protection apart from your helmet (if you bother to wear one).

It's fine, really it is. My road bike is quite safe on the road at 25 even
35 mph. It is not safe at those speeds either in the gutter, or on shared
cycle/footways.

Stopping distance?

Old May 25th 09, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote in message
Keith T wrote in
:

Mr. Benn wrote:

Typical. The posted speed limit is the maximum legal speed, not the
maximum safe speed which is determined by driving conditions and your
choice of vehicle. In your case, a light-framed bit of metal and
rubber with no protection apart from your helmet (if you bother to
wear one).

Now go over to the motorcycling ng and say that ;-)

They have leathers and high-spec helmets.

The majority of states in the USA don't have a helmet law and it is not
uncommon to see helmetless riders doing 75 mph on the freeways.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old May 25th 09, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Mon, 25 May 2009 12:07:39 +0100, Roger Thorpe
wrote:

NM wrote:
On 25 May, 09:28, spindrift wrote:

Plus, if you really do hug the kerb, you have NO ROOM to manoever
should a vehicle pass too close.

You're riding dangerously.

If you were riding where you were supposed to be then vehicles would
not pass "too close" it's your positioning at fault.

I can see why "common sense" might make you think this, but experience
shows it is not the case.

Roger Thorpe

A study published in the March 2007 issue of Accident Analysis &
Prevention showed that :

"The closer a driver is to the cyclist, the greater chance of a
collision."
"Drivers passed closer to the rider the further out into the road he
was."

Well what a surprise .

Old May 25th 09, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe

wrote:

NM wrote:
On 25 May, 09:28, spindrift wrote:

Plus, if you really do hug the kerb, you have NO ROOM to manoever
should a vehicle pass too close.

You're riding dangerously.
If you were riding where you were supposed to be then vehicles would
not pass "too close" it's your positioning at fault.

I can see why "common sense" might make you think this, but experience
shows it is not the case.

Roger Thorpe

A study published in the March 2007 issue of Accident Analysis &
Prevention showed that :

"The closer a driver is to the cyclist, the greater chance of a
collision."
"Drivers passed closer to the rider the further out into the road he
was."

Was that the average clearance or the minimum?

Sitting in the gutter will affect the minimum clearance given.
Old May 25th 09, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Mon, 25 May 2009 12:05:48 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Mon, 25 May 2009 10:43:16 +0100, Nick wrote:

I think it will depend on where you ride. In London the main function
of on-road cycle lanes these days is apparently to allow scooter
drivers to jump the queue at traffic lights.

And cyclists, very useful they are too.

Dunno, every time I try to use one it's "corked" by scooter drivers.

Guy

I suppose you use them when you are having one of your periodic races
on the streets of London?

Old May 25th 09, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Mon, 25 May 2009 01:10:46 -0700 (PDT), spindrift
wrote:

On May 25, 9:05*am, Bod wrote:
spindrift wrote:
On May 25, 7:52 am, Bod wrote:
Being a cyclist myself,I'm amazed at the number of people who
deliberately ride on the footpath,even though there is a cycle lane.
They expect pedestrians to move out of their way as well,they seem
to make the rules up as they go along,they are totally out of order.

Bod

Which cycle lane do you mean Bod?

The road type.

Bod

You mean it's not segregated?

Where is this cycle lane please, we can't be expected to evaluate the
efficacy or otherwise of a lane you refuse to describe...

There are circumstances where the pavement can be safer than cycle
lanes that force cyclists to yield at junctions, share with children
on bikes and old ladies with shopping bags and telephone boxes and bus
stops etc etc.

Which cycle lane are you referring to specifically Bod?

Or are you unable to say because you're trolling?

Wicked - asking too many difficult questions:

Must be a troll.

--
Posts from IP Address: 80.254.146.36 to URC over 6 years = 7

Guy Chapman : 5
Lou Knee: 2

Coincidence or nym shift?

(Guy does not deny all 7 were from him)

Motorists who park on pavements bob UK 15 March 11th 08 01:12 PM
why cycling on pavements shouldnt be allowed thrawn UK 9 September 18th 06 03:11 PM
pavements and vehicles james UK 8 June 9th 04 01:09 PM
Cycling on Pavements Tony Raven UK 12 February 11th 04 12:37 AM
Cycling on Pavements?? Beany UK 110 January 23rd 04 08:36 PM