Snap, topple and pop

Old January 28th 10, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

Default Snap, topple and pop

JNugent wrote:
mileburner wrote:
"Matt B" wrote in message
Jolly Polly wrote:
mileburner wrote:
"Tom Crispin" wrote in
message ...
The relevance - for those who missed it - was that there was a large
vehicle tight behind me, almost certainly illegally positioned, as I
toppled.
Bad place to be Tom. For safety's sake you should be behind, or
well ahead of, any large vehicle, even if that means crossing the
line illegally.

Many drivers stop in (or beyond) the ASL to block cyclists from
getting ahead and to beat them away from the lights. Let them go,
it's better than ending up dead, (even if that would please Medway).
The coach may have got stuck in that position because the traffic
lights
changed from green to red whilst waiting from a vehicle in from to turn
right/left. This has happened to me, your then left stuck in no-mans
land looking like you don't know the rules of the road, egg on face etc
until the lights change again.
There is nothing in the "rules of the road" against stopping in the
ASL box; indeed you MUST if the lights changed too late to stop
before it.

In slowish traffic it is more likely than not that a vehicle will be
legally obliged to stop in the box on each and every cycle of the
lights.

This is so, if the traffic is too close to each other.

If you adopt the principle that if you cannot see the second line
clear, don't cross the first line, it us unlikely you will get stuck
in the ASL box.

True.

But since no-one is obliged to follow that "principle", it's of limited
value as an observation.

It's about as valuable as saying "If you never go out in your car and
just leave it in your garage permanently, it is unlikely you will get
stuck in an ASL box".

But the OP mentioned it was a coach in the box, in which case you could
be a passenger on the coach which is in the box. :-P

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old January 28th 10, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly Polly

Jim A wrote:
JNugent wrote:
mileburner wrote:
"Matt B" wrote in message
Jolly Polly wrote:
mileburner wrote:
[...]

I've just spent a very pleasant hour or so watching cycling videos via
your sig Jim A[www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride] thanks
sorry to go off topic

Oh Snap vanpaun Unicycling 5 February 17th 08 05:12 AM
Oh snap, it's me!! Unitik908 Unicycling 8 October 14th 06 12:39 AM
Snap Into A Slim Jim Joe King Racing 4 July 9th 06 02:45 AM
Why did my crank snap? spindrift UK 10 April 3rd 06 12:22 AM
Can't 'snap' chain! MSA Techniques 23 November 9th 04 12:45 AM