Rebuilding a bike

Old January 29th 10, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Cummins[_3_]

Default Rebuilding a bike

In article ,
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk (Phil W Lee) wrote:

Also bear in mind that bulbs suitable for the lower power are not as
readily available now, and using the modern 2.4w (or even worse, 3w)
bulbs with low power input will give even less light.

The idea of a hub dynamo is that it will charge a battery all the time,
which means I can then put the lights on at night without extra drag, and
since they are running from a battery, I can use, for example, a Metal
Halide bulb front light if required.

After all, if I'm pootling along at up to 15mph using the motor, I need
to be able to see (and be seen) like a moped.

There is some logic in this, trust me.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Old January 30th 10, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly Polly

Paul Cummins wrote:
In article ,
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk (Phil W Lee) wrote:

Also bear in mind that bulbs suitable for the lower power are not as
readily available now, and using the modern 2.4w (or even worse, 3w)
bulbs with low power input will give even less light.

The idea of a hub dynamo is that it will charge a battery all the time,
which means I can then put the lights on at night without extra drag, and
since they are running from a battery, I can use, for example, a Metal
Halide bulb front light if required.

After all, if I'm pootling along at up to 15mph using the motor, I need
to be able to see (and be seen) like a moped.

There is some logic in this, trust me.

Wow, I had no idea that Metal halide lamps were available in such low
voltages and small enough for use on a bicycle - I don't ride at night
Old January 30th 10, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:22:04 +0000, Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

snip

You may find it useful that 1m/s = 2.23693629mph.

Surely it's 2.23693628 isn't it?

Old January 30th 10, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Paul Cummins" wrote in message
p.net...
In article ,
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk (Phil W Lee) wrote:

Also bear in mind that bulbs suitable for the lower power are not as
readily available now, and using the modern 2.4w (or even worse, 3w)
bulbs with low power input will give even less light.

The idea of a hub dynamo is that it will charge a battery all the time,
which means I can then put the lights on at night without extra drag, and
since they are running from a battery, I can use, for example, a Metal
Halide bulb front light if required.

There's a good reason why LEDs have taken over from metal halide lamps as
the retina-burners of choice. You might not want to follow the crowd, but it
would be churlish to ignore the lessons everybody else has learned.

After all, if I'm pootling along at up to 15mph using the motor, I need
to be able to see (and be seen) like a moped.

15mph isn't fast for a cyclist. 30mph is, and that is modern moped
territory, but you can't use electrics to get there legally without
paperwork, helmets.

There is some logic in this, trust me.

Might not be as much as you hope.

You need to look at the numbers involved - and the various losses. You'll
then discover more of what is and isn't feasible.

Old February 1st 10, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington[_3_]

In ,
Jolly Polly tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
Paul Cummins wrote:
In article ,
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk (Phil W Lee) wrote:

Also bear in mind that bulbs suitable for the lower power are not as
readily available now, and using the modern 2.4w (or even worse, 3w)
bulbs with low power input will give even less light.

The idea of a hub dynamo is that it will charge a battery all the
time, which means I can then put the lights on at night without
extra drag, and since they are running from a battery, I can use,
for example, a Metal Halide bulb front light if required.

After all, if I'm pootling along at up to 15mph using the motor, I
need to be able to see (and be seen) like a moped.

There is some logic in this, trust me.

Wow, I had no idea that Metal halide lamps were available in such low
voltages and small enough for use on a bicycle - I don't ride at night

http://www.lumicycle.com/product/100...-700-lumen.htm

But cheap they ain't...

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old April 4th 10, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Williams

"Clive George" writes:

However if you use the motor as a regenerative dynamo, you might stand
a greater chance of working.

Pardon my ignorance, but are electric bike motors (and associated
electronics) capable of charging the battery? If so; do they do it
efficiently?

--
Mark

Rebuilding Pedals Bob C Australia 3 September 12th 07 07:55 AM
Wheel rebuilding? Alan Hoyle Techniques 2 October 10th 06 08:59 PM
Worth rebuilding bike Mark Techniques 1 September 24th 06 08:49 PM
rebuilding 105 sti shifters Dan Lenski Techniques 20 June 9th 05 06:50 PM
rebuilding my wheel U-Turn Unicycling 16 September 5th 03 01:16 AM