SS Question 4

Old April 18th 05, 06:47 AM
DaveB

Default SS Question 4

Ahaa there is no question 4, my new SS is on the road. Actually new is a
joke seeing there is not a single new part on it. My problem with the
chain slipping seems to have been a bit too much wear in the sprocket
for the chain to cope with. Went down to pickup a new freewheel from
peter Moore and they had an almost new 18T for $8. BARGAIN! Just what I
wanted as the 18T may be a little kinder on my knees with all the hills
around here. So just been for a test ride around the block with no chain
slipping and everything appears to be okay. WooHoo!

Now I just need to keep an eye out on ebay for some new brakes, the old
ones suck, I'd forgotten how bad they were. At least I won't be capable
of too much speed.

DaveB "now with no excuses to not finish a damned assignment and then
enjoy my holidays"
Old April 18th 05, 07:20 AM
SteveA

DaveB Wrote:
Ahaa there is no question 4, my new SS is on the road. Actually new is
joke seeing there is not a single new part on it. My problem with th
chain slipping seems to have been a bit too much wear in the sprocke
for the chain to cope with. Went down to pickup a new freewheel fro
peter Moore and they had an almost new 18T for $8. BARGAIN! Just what
wanted as the 18T may be a little kinder on my knees with all the hill
around here. So just been for a test ride around the block with n
chai
slipping and everything appears to be okay. WooHoo

Now I just need to keep an eye out on ebay for some new brakes, the ol
ones suck, I'd forgotten how bad they were. At least I won't be capabl
of too much speed

DaveB "now with no excuses to not finish a damned assignment and the
enjoy my holidays"

Congrats on getting the SS done. I'm envious

Mine is still spread across three frames which have various bits o
them which were all scrounged out of skips, out of rubbish collections
etc

I have just come off 6 years of part time study so I have a hous
renovation to finish before I'm allowed to start building bikes.
think I have all the bits bar the wheels, a chainwheel and the rear co
and spacers. I might go to the Police lost property auction (Perth) o
the 27th to see what I can pick up cheaply

The 18T sounds attractive. What size chainwheel are you running wit
it

Steve(starts study again in July, uhh)

--
SteveA

Old April 18th 05, 11:47 AM
Gags

"DaveB" wrote in message
Ahaa there is no question 4, my new SS is on the road. Actually new is a
joke seeing there is not a single new part on it. My problem with the
chain slipping seems to have been a bit too much wear in the sprocket
for the chain to cope with. Went down to pickup a new freewheel from
peter Moore and they had an almost new 18T for $8. BARGAIN! Just what I
wanted as the 18T may be a little kinder on my knees with all the hills
around here. So just been for a test ride around the block with no chain
slipping and everything appears to be okay. WooHoo!

Now I just need to keep an eye out on ebay for some new brakes, the old
ones suck, I'd forgotten how bad they were. At least I won't be capable
of too much speed.

DaveB "now with no excuses to not finish a damned assignment and then
enjoy my holidays"

Dave....I have a pair of Deore front V brakes that you can have for $10. I
got them from Hippy for $15 a while back but that was without cables, little
bendy thingo, and cartridge brake pads. I might even be able to fix you up
with a set for the back too. I currently have a set of Tektro brakes that
are actually pretty good on the back of my SS that I am considering
replacing with the Shimano LX rear brake from my 27 spd bike (it now has LX
discs). Too bad you weren't at BR on Sunday.....you could have come over
and scored brakes, lights, and browsed the rest of my stockpile.

Feel free to hit me up with an email if you want to arrange to come over and
shop at Gags's Bike Barn Emporium......"I'm Crrrraaaazzyyy!!!!"

Ride On,

Gags

Old April 18th 05, 12:21 PM
DaveB

Gags wrote:

Feel free to hit me up with an email if you want to arrange to come over and
shop at Gags's Bike Barn Emporium......"I'm Crrrraaaazzyyy!!!!"

Ride On,

Gags

Given it seems BR this week will be held at Glenvale crits I'll have a
chat to you then.

DaveB
Old April 19th 05, 03:48 PM
hippy

Gags
Dave....I have a pair of Deore front V brakes that you can have
for $10. I got them from Hippy for $15 a while back but that was
without cables, little bendy thingo, and cartridge brake pads.

might
even be able to fix you up with a set for the back too. I currentl

have
a set of Tektro brakes that are actually pretty good on the back of m

SS that I am considering replacing with the Shimano LX rear brake fro

my 27 spd bike (it now has LX discs).

I'm turning my SS into my tourer and in the process upgrading the Deor

Vee brakes to LX vees (is there an actual difference other than
colour?) so I will have a spare set of Deore vees kicking around
think.

hipp

--
hippy