Evening Standard cycle incident article

Old May 6th 09, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

Default Evening Standard cycle incident article

http://tinyurl.com/d94lrl

Several interesting aspects in this Toby Young article. Some quotes:-
"I thought the driver had fled the scene but he hadn't. He parked
across the street and asked me if I was all right. "Sorry, mate, I
just didn't see you," he said. He jotted down his details but I was
too dazed to write down his registration number."
(Cars have them. Apparently it makes them drive responsibly.)

"If I'd been wearing a helmet I probably could have cycled home. It
really wasn't my fault - but I still feel like an idiot. I called the
number given to me by the guy who knocked me off and, needless to say,
it's false."

How quickly the motorist's mind got back into normal gear. "Dodge the
column" is the imperative.

So much for "Boris's bikers must not rule the roads." Huh! We know who
rules, and they are tyrants.
Old May 6th 09, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn

"Squashme" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/d94lrl

Several interesting aspects in this Toby Young article. Some quotes:-
"I thought the driver had fled the scene but he hadn't. He parked
across the street and asked me if I was all right. "Sorry, mate, I
just didn't see you," he said. He jotted down his details but I was
too dazed to write down his registration number."
(Cars have them. Apparently it makes them drive responsibly.)

"If I'd been wearing a helmet I probably could have cycled home. It
really wasn't my fault - but I still feel like an idiot. I called the
number given to me by the guy who knocked me off and, needless to say,
it's false."

Or else the cyclist wrote down the wrong number.

Old May 6th 09, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 6 May, 09:16, "Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote:
"Squashme" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/d94lrl

Several interesting aspects in this Toby Young article. Some quotes:-
"I thought the driver had fled the scene but he hadn't. He parked
across the street and asked me if I was all right. "Sorry, mate, I
just didn't see you," he said. He jotted down his details but I was
too dazed to write down his registration number."
(Cars have them. Apparently it makes them drive responsibly.)

"If I'd been wearing a helmet I probably could have cycled home. It
really wasn't my fault - but I still feel like an idiot. I called the
number given to me by the guy who knocked me off and, needless to say,
it's false."

Or else the cyclist wrote down the wrong number.

Oh yes, of course, that is more likely, especially when Toby Young
writes:-
"Sorry, mate, I just didn't see you," he said. He jotted down his
details but I was too dazed to write down his registration number."

"HE jotted." I expect that the driver must have been in shock. That'll
be it.
Old May 6th 09, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn

wrote in message

writes:-
"Sorry, mate, I just didn't see you," he said. He jotted down his
details but I was too dazed to write down his registration number."

"HE jotted." I expect that the driver must have been in shock. That'll
be it.

How do you know the driver wasn't in shock?

Old May 6th 09, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Wed, 6 May 2009 00:54:06 -0700 (PDT), Squashme
wrote:

[...]

Excellent article.

"There's a simple moral to this story: if you're going to cycle in
London, wear a helmet."

Now let's wait for Chapman to tell us why not to.

--
you can either promote cycling or promote helmets,the two are
incompatible. (Guy Chapman)

Old May 6th 09, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Mr Benn wrote:
wrote in message

writes:-
"Sorry, mate, I just didn't see you," he said. He jotted down his
details but I was too dazed to write down his registration number."

"HE jotted." I expect that the driver must have been in shock. That'll
be it.

How do you know the driver wasn't in shock?

He probably was, I have lost count how many times I have read

" X killed in accident, lorry driver treated for shock"
Shock at being caught!
Old May 6th 09, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Wed, 6 May 2009 00:54:06 -0700 (PDT), Squashme
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/d94lrl

So a helmet can protect against cuts and abrasions caused by low speed
collisions. Nothing new there!
Old May 7th 09, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly Polly

Squashme wrote:
[...]

Another quote, this time from a respondent

"The evidence is that helmet-wearing makes collisions more likely,
partly because drivers take more risks around you."

Evening Standard bum gravy. spindrift UK 64 May 8th 09 03:47 AM
Positive Evening Standard article about cycling. spindrift UK 21 August 2nd 08 07:51 PM
Evening Standard Poll dkahn400 UK 4 May 27th 08 11:34 PM
Evening Standard Tony Raven[_2_] UK 4 May 1st 07 08:52 AM
Evening Standard Article David Martin UK 11 March 25th 05 08:01 PM