Cycling on pavements

Old May 25th 09, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

Default Cycling on pavements

Being a cyclist myself,I'm amazed at the number of people who
deliberately ride on the footpath,even though there is a cycle lane.
They expect pedestrians to move out of their way as well,they seem
to make the rules up as they go along,they are totally out of order.

Bod
Old May 25th 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jerry J

Bod wrote:
Being a cyclist myself,I'm amazed at the number of people who
deliberately ride on the footpath,even though there is a cycle lane.
They expect pedestrians to move out of their way as well,they seem
to make the rules up as they go along,they are totally out of order.

Bod

And I'm amazed at the amount of pedestrians walking in cycle lanes. In
my opinion, ALL cycle lanes should be on the roadway and NOT on the
pathway - the latter type are dangerous in the extreme, to both cyclists
and pedestrians. I never use them.

Old May 25th 09, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

Jerry J wrote:
Bod wrote:
Being a cyclist myself,I'm amazed at the number of people who
deliberately ride on the footpath,even though there is a cycle lane.
They expect pedestrians to move out of their way as well,they seem
to make the rules up as they go along,they are totally out of order.

Bod

And I'm amazed at the amount of pedestrians walking in cycle lanes. In
my opinion, ALL cycle lanes should be on the roadway and NOT on the
pathway - the latter type are dangerous in the extreme, to both cyclists
and pedestrians. I never use them.

Agreed but I was talking specifically about cyclists ignoring the road
cycle lanes (sorry,I should have made that clearer).

Bod
Old May 25th 09, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On May 25, 7:52*am, Bod wrote:
Being a cyclist myself,I'm amazed at the number of people who
deliberately ride on the footpath,even though there is a cycle lane.
They expect pedestrians to move out of their way as well,they seem
to make the rules up as they go along,they are totally out of order.

Bod

Which cycle lane do you mean Bod?
Old May 25th 09, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

spindrift wrote:
On May 25, 7:52 am, Bod wrote:
Being a cyclist myself,I'm amazed at the number of people who
deliberately ride on the footpath,even though there is a cycle lane.
They expect pedestrians to move out of their way as well,they seem
to make the rules up as they go along,they are totally out of order.

Bod

Which cycle lane do you mean Bod?

The cycle lanes in the road.

Bod

Old May 25th 09, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Bod" wrote in message
Being a cyclist myself,I'm amazed at the number of people who
deliberately ride on the footpath,even though there is a cycle lane.
They expect pedestrians to move out of their way as well,they seem
to make the rules up as they go along,they are totally out of order.

Being a cyclist myself, I am amazed at the number of people who deliberately
ride on the footpath even though there is a road available.

Even worse, a number of cyclists have been seen to use those danger areas on
the roadside which are painted red.

Old May 25th 09, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Jerry J" wrote in message ...

And I'm amazed at the amount of pedestrians walking in cycle lanes. In my
opinion, ALL cycle lanes should be on the roadway and NOT on the pathway -
the latter type are dangerous in the extreme, to both cyclists and
pedestrians. I never use them.

Agreed entirely. Far more peds use the footpath cycle paths than cyclists
do. Cyclists should use the road and only use these off road cycle paths of
there is a very good reason not to use the road.

Old May 25th 09, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On May 25, 9:05*am, Bod wrote:
spindrift wrote:
On May 25, 7:52 am, Bod wrote:
Being a cyclist myself,I'm amazed at the number of people who
deliberately ride on the footpath,even though there is a cycle lane.
They expect pedestrians to move out of their way as well,they seem
to make the rules up as they go along,they are totally out of order.

Bod

Which cycle lane do you mean Bod?

The road type.

Bod

You mean it's not segregated?

Where is this cycle lane please, we can't be expected to evaluate the
efficacy or otherwise of a lane you refuse to describe...

There are circumstances where the pavement can be safer than cycle
lanes that force cyclists to yield at junctions, share with children
on bikes and old ladies with shopping bags and telephone boxes and bus
stops etc etc.

Which cycle lane are you referring to specifically Bod?

Or are you unable to say because you're trolling?
Old May 25th 09, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Bod" wrote in message

Agreed but I was talking specifically about cyclists ignoring the road
cycle lanes (sorry,I should have made that clearer).

Too right. Road cycle lanes are painted in the wrong place often making them
dangerous to use. It is generally better to ride about 0.5 metres to the
right of the kerbside cycle-lane-cum-danger-zone.

Motorists who park on pavements bob UK 15 March 11th 08 01:12 PM
why cycling on pavements shouldnt be allowed thrawn UK 9 September 18th 06 03:11 PM
pavements and vehicles james UK 8 June 9th 04 01:09 PM
Cycling on Pavements Tony Raven UK 12 February 11th 04 12:37 AM
Cycling on Pavements?? Beany UK 110 January 23rd 04 08:36 PM