accident help

Old June 13th 09, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Shumit

Default accident help

Someone pulled out in front of me and I went over the handle bars when
braking and didnt hit the car - probably one of hundreds in London
yesterday. Two things I wanted to know are would it have been better
if I had actually hit the car - for me I mean - and do I sue for
personal injury? happily no broken bones but several loose teeth that
may require a lot of work.

thanks,Shumit
Old June 13th 09, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 13 June, 14:11, Shumit wrote:
Someone pulled out in front of me and I went over the handle bars when
braking and didnt hit the car - probably one of hundreds in London
yesterday. Two things I wanted to know are would it have been better
if I had actually hit the car - for me I mean - and do I sue for
personal injury? happily no broken bones but several loose teeth that
may require a lot of work.

thanks,Shumit

I broke a rib last year this way. A ped crossed the road against a red
man holding a mobile against her ear- on my side. She didn't respond
to my bell and carried on so I jammed on the brakes and the bars
twisted.

She walked off, two chaps helped my up and collected the bust front
light.

I would report your accident, I didn't report mine although I pondered
the likelihood of my injuries being less had I collided with her...

Old June 13th 09, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

On 13 June, 14:11, Shumit wrote:
Someone pulled out in front of me and I went over the handle bars when
braking and didnt hit the car - probably one of hundreds in London
yesterday. Two things I wanted to know are would it have been better
if I had actually hit the car - for me I mean - and do I sue for
personal injury? happily no broken bones but several loose teeth that
may require a lot of work.

thanks,Shumit

It was better not to hit the car, but better still if you had not gone
over the bars. Hitting moving cars can lead to all sorts of injury,
especially if part of you ends up going under the wheels; also there's
a heck of a lot more legal hassle if you had actually hit.

Seriously, you need to learn braking technique. When a rider brakes
sharply they tend to be thrown forward on the bike, and this greatly
increases the likelihood of going over the bars. To avoid this, when
you brake you should at least brace your arms to avoid being thrown
forward. You can increase the effect by getting out of the saddle and
pushing your backside out over the back wheel; this moves the centre
of gravity of the bike backwards and will enable you to use much more
braking force without being thrown over the bars.

Practice braking increasingly hard in a quiet place away from traffic.
Remember, if you lock your wheels, you are not braking effectively.
Learn by practice just how much braking force you can effectively use.
Experiment with shifting your weight backwards, and learn how much
benefit this offers.
Old June 13th 09, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 06:11:06 -0700 (PDT), Shumit
wrote:

Someone pulled out in front of me and I went over the handle bars when
braking and didnt hit the car - probably one of hundreds in London
yesterday. Two things I wanted to know are would it have been better
if I had actually hit the car - for me I mean - and do I sue for
personal injury? happily no broken bones but several loose teeth that
may require a lot of work.

thanks,Shumit

Sounds like you were travelling too fast to stop in the distance that
you knew to be clear, something that the residents of this newsgroup
find to be totally abhorrent. You should be ashamed of yourself and
count yourself incredibly lucky that you were not charged with an
offence.

Oh, hang on, you were riding a bike, weren't you? Sorry, wipe that
then, none of it applies...
Old June 13th 09, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

On Jun 13, 2:23*pm, spindrift wrote:
On 13 June, 14:11, Shumit wrote:

[...]

You should have been prepared to stop in a controlled manner, you know
you must be able to stop if a pedestrian steps out without looking.
You therefore must be to blame.

Francis
Old June 13th 09, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

On Jun 13, 3:03*pm, Simon Brooke wrote:
On 13 June, 14:11, Shumit wrote:

[...]

There you go, victim blaming.

Francis

Old June 13th 09, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox[_8_]

There you go, victim blaming.
Rubbish. It is called learning from experience.

It is better to help yourself than rely on others.

It is better to be prepared than caught unawares.

It is better to practice avoidance than medicine.

Thanks for the reminder Simon. When I'm out this evening
I'll spend a couple of minutes doing emergency stops

--
Peter 'Prof' Fox
Multitude of things for beer, cycling, Morris and curiosities at

Old June 13th 09, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Peter Fox wrote:
There you go, victim blaming.

Rubbish. It is called learning from experience.

It is better to help yourself than rely on others.

It is better to be prepared than caught unawares.

It is better to practice avoidance than medicine.

Thanks for the reminder Simon. When I'm out this evening
I'll spend a couple of minutes doing emergency stops

I think you may find that Francis was just reminding people about what
was said in a recent thread.

--

Tony Dragon
Old June 13th 09, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_7_]

Simon Brooke wrote:

Seriously, you need to learn braking technique. When a rider brakes
sharply they tend to be thrown forward on the bike, and this greatly
increases the likelihood of going over the bars. To avoid this, when
you brake you should at least brace your arms to avoid being thrown
forward. You can increase the effect by getting out of the saddle and
pushing your backside out over the back wheel; this moves the centre
of gravity of the bike backwards and will enable you to use much more
braking force without being thrown over the bars.

Can't see this myself. Once your arse is off the saddle the centre of
gravity moves forwards and the bike is far likelier to rotate. In fact I
would have thought getting out of the saddle was the major reason for an
arse over tit experience.

Just another accident. Tony Raven[_2_] UK 16 November 20th 07 10:46 PM
Another Accident dannyfrankszzz UK 13 December 3rd 06 06:43 PM
Bad Accident [email protected] Racing 9 July 20th 05 06:14 PM
Car Accident MN Australia 184 September 19th 03 04:19 AM
What to do when in an accident? Adrian Boliston UK 19 September 3rd 03 04:24 PM