Chain lubricant

Old July 1st 09, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jim[_9_]

Default Chain lubricant

I bought a new chain yesterday - I think it's an SRAM chain, with one of
those great links in that allow you to connect it up without tools.

On getting it out of the packet, the chain had some kind of grease /
lubricant on it. It feels a lot heavier than the light GT85 lubricant that
sprays onto chains, and not as heavy as the yellow think grease that I spead
liberally onto pedal threads before putting them on.

I wondered if anyone knew what kind of lubricant this is likely to be, and
if it can be purchased by mere novices like me, and if it's any good?

Thanks

Old July 1st 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"jim" wrote in message
o.uk...
I bought a new chain yesterday - I think it's an SRAM chain, with one of
those great links in that allow you to connect it up without tools.

On getting it out of the packet, the chain had some kind of grease /
lubricant on it. It feels a lot heavier than the light GT85 lubricant that
sprays onto chains, and not as heavy as the yellow think grease that I
spead liberally onto pedal threads before putting them on.

I wondered if anyone knew what kind of lubricant this is likely to be, and
if it can be purchased by mere novices like me, and if it's any good?

I think it's some grease beginning with F - I knew two years ago, but have
forgotton. I've got some, it works as well as anything else, but is messy.

Old July 1st 09, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
citizen142[_3_]

Jim it is a chain. It has grease on it. It will last a long time. You
are not going to ride the TdF. Ride it and when it is shagged buy a
new one (and of course a new block). In between put any oil you can
get yer hands on. Or perhaps use Outer Mongolian Yak's Grease.
Expensive but - well probably useless.

Old July 1st 09, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

On 1 July, 19:09, "jim" wrote:
I bought a new chain yesterday - I think it's an SRAM chain, with one of
those great links in that allow you to connect it up without tools.

On getting it out of the packet, the chain had some kind of grease /
lubricant on it. It feels a lot heavier than the light GT85 lubricant that
sprays onto chains, and not as heavy as the yellow think grease that I spead
liberally onto pedal threads before putting them on.

I wondered if anyone knew what kind of lubricant this is likely to be, and
if it can be purchased by mere novices like me, and if it's any good?

The lubricant that's on the chain when you buy it is applied at high
temperature and with high pressure. You can never get it as well
lubricated again, so whatever you do don't clean it off with solvent
(all aerosol chain lubes contain solvent). Obviously, keeping the
outside of the chain free of sticky grease will help prevent grit
sticking to it and thus reduce wear, but the best solution is to run
it through a dry cloth or kitchen towel. When you do relube, use a non-
aerosol lubricant. Precisely which one depends on the conditions
you're using the chain in, but I use

race bike: white lightning
commuter/cross bike: white lightning epic
mountain bike: finish line cross country

All of these are expensive per cc, but as you use them very sparingly
they aren't expensive in real terms; and given the improvement that
decent chain care gives in chain life, they pay for themselves several
times over.

Mountain bike chains really do have to be thoroughly cleaned quite
often (in wet conditions, after every ride) but if it's a road bike
chain leave it as long as you reasonably can between thorough cleans.
Obviously keep it clean by wiping any dirt off the outside of the
chain with a clean dry cloth regularly.

Black gungy chains are not a good idea. A transmission you could eat
your tea off will last an awful lot longer than a dirty one.

Old July 2nd 09, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
On 1 July, 19:09, "jim" wrote:
[...]

This contradicts what I have always been told. What I understood is that the
oil that the chain is delivered in is not a particularly good lubricant as
it is too sticky. Its prime function is to protect the chain in transit and
storage. I was told that this should be stripped off and the chain should be
relubricated with a specific chain lubricant. I can't say that I've always
followed this advice, humans being lazy and all, and I can't say that it has
had any particularly bad side effects.

I've just looked at the instruction booklet for Campag Ultra Narrow chains,
and it says nothing about cleaning off the original lubricant. As they
wouldn't want to face products wearing out excessively quickly, I think I'd
trust them to recomment best practice. I think I'll be following Simon's
advice from now.

Guess you'll just have to suck it and see. Then you will be able to write
back with the definative answer.

race bike: white lightning
commuter/cross bike: white lightning epic
mountain bike: finish line cross country

I'd second Finish Line. I'd recommend that you don't use Ice Wax.

Black gungy chains are not a good idea. A transmission you could eat
your tea off will last an awful lot longer than a dirty one.

I'm with you there.

David

Old July 2nd 09, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

The lubricant that's on the chain when you buy it is applied at high
temperature and with high pressure. You can never get it as well
lubricated again, so whatever you do don't clean it off with solvent

This contradicts what I have always been told... [but] I think I'll be following Simon's

advice from now.

Sheldon agrees http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#factory

"This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after
the fact. Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing
this superior lubricant. Don't do this!"

I like this advice as it is also the lazy option. When the chain
starts to squeak or go rusty the a bit of Green Oil will sort it out
and make it smell nice too.

Old July 2nd 09, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd

"POHB" wrote in message
The lubricant that's on the chain when you buy it is applied at high
temperature and with high pressure. You can never get it as well
lubricated again, so whatever you do don't clean it off with solvent

This contradicts what I have always been told... [but] I think I'll be
following Simon's

advice from now.

Sheldon agrees http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#factory

"This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after
the fact. Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing
this superior lubricant. Don't do this!"

I like this advice as it is also the lazy option. When the chain
starts to squeak or go rusty the a bit of Green Oil will sort it out
and make it smell nice too.

All glory be to Sheldon,
May his website remain in place.

Old July 2nd 09, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Horton

jim wrote:
I bought a new chain yesterday - I think it's an SRAM chain, with one of
those great links in that allow you to connect it up without tools.

On getting it out of the packet, the chain had some kind of grease /
lubricant on it. It feels a lot heavier than the light GT85 lubricant that
sprays onto chains, and not as heavy as the yellow think grease that I spead
liberally onto pedal threads before putting them on.

I wondered if anyone knew what kind of lubricant this is likely to be, and
if it can be purchased by mere novices like me, and if it's any good?

Thanks

SRAM use Gleitmo 582

http://www.fuchs-lubritech.com/cms/s...produkt=29 93
Old July 3rd 09, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly Polly

Rob Horton wrote:
jim wrote:
I bought a new chain yesterday - I think it's an SRAM chain, with one
of those great links in that allow you to connect it up without tools.

On getting it out of the packet, the chain had some kind of grease /
lubricant on it. It feels a lot heavier than the light GT85 lubricant
that sprays onto chains, and not as heavy as the yellow think grease
that I spead liberally onto pedal threads before putting them on.

I wondered if anyone knew what kind of lubricant this is likely to be,
and if it can be purchased by mere novices like me, and if it's any good?

Thanks

SRAM use Gleitmo 582

http://www.fuchs-lubritech.com/cms/s...produkt=29 93

That looks good to me

But if can't get hold of any when you need it, I would suggest using
motorcycle chain lube in an aerosol. This is similar to the above in the
respect that it contains a solvent. So when applied it flows like petrol
into all the nooks and crannies, after half an hour the solvent has
evaporated leaving very sticky grease behind. It lasts of ages too.
Old July 3rd 09, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Eddie[_2_]

Jolly Polly wrote:

But if can't get hold of any when you need it, I would suggest using
motorcycle chain lube in an aerosol.

Ooooh, I wouldn't. *Way* too sticky and heavy for bicycle chains.

--
Eddie

Chain Lubricant? Saxman UK 34 May 29th 06 10:08 PM
Chainsaw oil as a chain lubricant Zog The Undeniable UK 15 May 18th 05 04:25 AM
Transmission fluid as a chain lubricant? [email protected] General 3 January 16th 05 03:07 AM
Birdy Chain Lubricant pebble UK 7 December 4th 04 10:26 AM
Chain Lubricant Options Jay Richolson Techniques 136 November 14th 04 09:04 PM