Rebuilding a bike

Old January 27th 10, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Cummins[_3_]

Default Rebuilding a bike

I've been given an old Apollo Mountain Bike.

I want to turn it into a reasonable city-style electro-bike without too
much cost or complexity, but I also want it to be as normal looking as
possible. So silly things like city tyres, mudguards, proper lights (not
LED) and tidy battery.

However, I also want to move to Hub gears with a rear hub-based dynamo,
and hub-motor front. I guess that disc brakes might be appropriate too.

Money not a big issue - I want a decent home-made thing more than I want
to save costs.

Any recommendations for suppliers?

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Old January 27th 10, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Paul Cummins" wrote in message
p.net...
I've been given an old Apollo Mountain Bike.

Hmm, not a great start. Ok, you'll be tossing the wheels and drivetrain, but
the frame on those is ****. Probably worth 50 quid.

I want to turn it into a reasonable city-style electro-bike without too
much cost or complexity, but I also want it to be as normal looking as
possible. So silly things like city tyres, mudguards, proper lights (not
LED) and tidy battery.

LEDs are better for both brightness and reliability - best choice by far.
Just remember the difference between crap ones and decent ones.

However, I also want to move to Hub gears with a rear hub-based dynamo,
and hub-motor front. I guess that disc brakes might be appropriate too.

Most hub dynamos are front. But if you're carrying a battery, surely using
that is most appropriate?

If you're going hub gears, need to make sure your frame is suitable -
horizontal dropouts or eccentric bottom bracket.

Money not a big issue - I want a decent home-made thing more than I want
to save costs.

Still need to ask. How much would it be before money became an issue?

Any recommendations for suppliers?

May be worth reading Velovision, where they discuss this sort of thing.
There's also rather more info in places other than usenet - somebody will be
along in a while to mention it.

Old January 27th 10, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Paul Cummins wrote:

proper lights (not LED)

So, are you thinking an oil lamp, or going for high-tech - carbide?

I also want to move to Hub gears with a rear hub-based dynamo,

I don't know of a hub gear incorporating a hub dynamo.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old January 27th 10, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday[_3_]

On 27/01/2010 19:21, Paul Cummins wrote:
I've been given an old Apollo Mountain Bike.

Seriously, I'd pass it on and buy another. Second hand you can get
something more than decent for a ton or less. Doing-up the Apollo is
simply a waste of time and money.

Happi
Old January 27th 10, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bill

"Ian Smith" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Paul Cummins wrote:

I also want to move to Hub gears with a rear hub-based dynamo,

I don't know of a hub gear incorporating a hub dynamo.

regards, Ian SMith

I agree with not throwing good money after bad on an Apollo frame, but on
the topic of dynohubs and just for interest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmey-Archer

read all the way down.

Bill

Old January 27th 10, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:07:57 -0000, Bill wrote:

"Ian Smith" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Paul Cummins wrote:

I also want to move to Hub gears with a rear hub-based dynamo,

I don't know of a hub gear incorporating a hub dynamo.

I agree with not throwing good money after bad on an Apollo frame, but on
the topic of dynohubs and just for interest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmey-Archer

Hmm, I didn't know that.
Sheldon has pictures: http://sheldonbrown.com/dynohubs.html

I'll have to modify my statement:

I don't know of a hub gear with a hub dynamo that's been available
within the last 30 years or so.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old January 27th 10, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Ian Smith" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:07:57 -0000, Bill wrote:

"Ian Smith" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Paul Cummins wrote:

I also want to move to Hub gears with a rear hub-based dynamo,

I don't know of a hub gear incorporating a hub dynamo.

I agree with not throwing good money after bad on an Apollo frame, but
on
the topic of dynohubs and just for interest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmey-Archer

Hmm, I didn't know that.
Sheldon has pictures: http://sheldonbrown.com/dynohubs.html

I'll have to modify my statement:

I don't know of a hub gear with a hub dynamo that's been available
within the last 30 years or so.

And has the same output as modern dynamos - the SA one was weaker than what
we get these days.

Old January 27th 10, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:20:42 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Paul Cummins wrote:

proper lights (not LED)

So, are you thinking an oil lamp, or going for high-tech - carbide?

I also want to move to Hub gears with a rear hub-based dynamo,

I don't know of a hub gear incorporating a hub dynamo.

regards, Ian SMith

Raleigh Trent Tourist circa 1960

I had one - my sister had same model which had the hub dynamo on the
front wheel.

This enabled my cycle to have two dynamos for increased power
production.

Old January 27th 10, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Paul Cummins wrote:
I've been given an old Apollo Mountain Bike.

Never mind, throw it in the skip & buy a car.

--
Dave - the small piece of 14th century armour used to protect the armpit.

Rebuilding Pedals Bob C Australia 3 September 12th 07 07:55 AM
Wheel rebuilding? Alan Hoyle Techniques 2 October 10th 06 08:59 PM
Worth rebuilding bike Mark Techniques 1 September 24th 06 08:49 PM
rebuilding 105 sti shifters Dan Lenski Techniques 20 June 9th 05 06:50 PM
rebuilding my wheel U-Turn Unicycling 16 September 5th 03 01:16 AM