Death roundabout gets a makeover.

Old September 30th 10, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Death roundabout gets a makeover.

Good to see that the planners in London have actually acted on a
cycling death trap and redesigned it. Up here in Hull we have had
dozens of lorries capsizing on every one of our 5 docks road
roundabouts, one recently killing a cyclist. The Highways Agency is
looking at the problem and hopefully we will see something similar.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-a-redesign.do

--
Simon Mason
Old September 30th 10, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-blackspot-rou...

--
Simon Mason

By sheer coincidence.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/local...iew.6558585.jp

--
Simon Mason
Old September 30th 10, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 04:05:04 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Good to see that the planners in London have actually acted on a
cycling death trap and redesigned it. Up here in Hull we have had
dozens of lorries capsizing on every one of our 5 docks road
roundabouts, one recently killing a cyclist. The Highways Agency is
looking at the problem and hopefully we will see something similar.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-a-redesign.do

What's the point of wasting money on cycle lanes when ****wit cyclists
refuse to use them?

--

Per billion passenger kilometres

Car KSI 18
Cycle KSI 541
Pedestrian 358

(KSI : Killed or Seriously Injured)
Dft 2008 FIgures

Who says cycling is safer than walking?
Old September 30th 10, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

wrote:

Good to see that the planners in London have actually acted on a
cycling death trap and redesigned it. Up here in Hull we have had
dozens of lorries capsizing on every one of our 5 docks road
roundabouts, one recently killing a cyclist. The Highways Agency is
looking at the problem and hopefully we will see something similar.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-a-redesign.do

What's the point of wasting money on cycle lanes when ****wit cyclists
refuse to use them?

The reported comments of interested parties seem confused and incompatible.

"The new design will see traffic lights installed at the southern roundabout."

So far, so good, some might think (especially if they have no idea of how a
roundabout is supposed to work - an ignorance which unfortunately does seem
to have spread to many traffic engineers who ought to know better).

"Barry Mason, of pressure group Southwark Cyclists, said: “We've been widely
consulted and they've taken on board a lot of comments. It will make it look
and feel safer for cyclists."

Not 'BE' safer, you will note. Just 'look and feel safer'.

“The lanes will be much clearer and it should cut the speed of vehicles".

Ah...

“When the traffic lights go, everyone jockeys for position. If you're a bike
trying to get in, it's scary and I wouldn't recommend it for novices.”

But the authorities are appartently installing *more* traffic lights (albeit
in compliance with the modern traffic engineer's commitment to stopping
traffic as much as possible).

Old September 30th 10, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"JNugent" wrote in message

But the authorities are appartently installing *more* traffic lights
(albeit in compliance with the modern traffic engineer's commitment to
stopping traffic as much as possible).

On the occasion a cyclist was crushed by a lorry in Hull which had shed its
load by cornering on a roundabout too fast, the police shut the road for 7
hours causing city gridlock. On each occasion a lorry capsizes, the road is
shut for anything from 3-5 hours and city gridlock is the result. These
instances are very common and due to HGVs taking the roundabouts too fast.
The engineers are doing motorists a favour, a few seconds at some lights as
opposed to many hours stuck in a gridlocked city costing the local economy
millions in lost time due to speeding HGVs going over.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old September 30th 10, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

In , Simon Mason
said:
"JNugent" wrote in message

But the authorities are appartently installing *more* traffic lights
(albeit in compliance with the modern traffic engineer's commitment
to stopping traffic as much as possible).

On the occasion a cyclist was crushed by a lorry in Hull which had
shed its load by cornering on a roundabout too fast, the police shut
the road for 7 hours causing city gridlock. On each occasion a lorry
capsizes, the road is shut for anything from 3-5 hours and city
gridlock is the result. These instances are very common and due to
HGVs taking the roundabouts too fast. The engineers are doing
motorists a favour, a few seconds at some lights as opposed to many
hours stuck in a gridlocked city costing the local economy millions
in lost time due to speeding HGVs going over.

It appears to me that rather than change traffic flow, HGV drivers ought to
made more aware of the particular problems in the area.

--
Paul - xxx

mobile ...

Old September 30th 10, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

In article 843f909b-b0eb-49a3-94a8-
, says...

Good to see that the planners in London have actually acted on a
cycling death trap and redesigned it. Up here in Hull we have had
dozens of lorries capsizing on every one of our 5 docks road
roundabouts, one recently killing a cyclist. The Highways Agency is
looking at the problem and hopefully we will see something similar.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-a-redesign.do

Great news. As ever with these things, the top priority should be to
cause congestion for motorists, even if that temporarily results in an
increase in accidents; eventually, the selfish cagers will get so fed up
with it that they'll stop driving, and then KSIs will undoubtedly go
down (for every motorist who stops driving, KSIs drop by an average of
5.3 over their lifetime).

I'm glad that TfL have clearly got the message that needlessly
obstructing motorists is the way to cure all ills.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/
The usenet price promise: all opinions offered in newsgroups are
Old September 30th 10, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 30/09/2010 17:43, Simon Mason wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message

But the authorities are appartently installing *more* traffic lights
(albeit in compliance with the modern traffic engineer's commitment to
stopping traffic as much as possible).

On the occasion a cyclist was crushed by a lorry in Hull which had shed its
load by cornering on a roundabout too fast, the police shut the road for 7
hours causing city gridlock. On each occasion a lorry capsizes, the road is
shut for anything from 3-5 hours and city gridlock is the result. These
instances are very common and due to HGVs taking the roundabouts too fast.
The engineers are doing motorists a favour, a few seconds at some lights as
opposed to many hours stuck in a gridlocked city costing the local economy
millions in lost time due to speeding HGVs going over.

Why are you telling me this?

You surely don't think I am in favour either of cyclists being killed/injured
or of gridlock, do you?
Old September 30th 10, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_4_]

wrote:

Good to see that the planners in London have actually acted on a
cycling death trap and redesigned it. Up here in Hull we have had
dozens of lorries capsizing on every one of our 5 docks road
roundabouts, one recently killing a cyclist. The Highways Agency is
looking at the problem and hopefully we will see something similar.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-a-redesign.do

What's the point of wasting money on cycle lanes when ****wit cyclists
refuse to use them?

Experienced cyclists find is quicker to use the road, and they are
less likely to suffer a puncture or be knocked off their bike by a
slow moving vehicle turning into them or emerging from a side road.

Inexperienced cyclists prefer to use cycle lanes and motor traffic
free cycle routes. Once they have gained experience the progress to
the road. Thus cycle lanes are a good, but expensive way to get more
people cycling more often.

A far cheaper alternative exists. Give every child of primary age
cycle training as part of the curriculum. Give all older children
quality cycle training on real roads in real traffic conditions. Thus
within a generation or two everyone using the roads will know how to
use them properly and there will be no need for cycle lanes.
Old September 30th 10, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:43:23 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message

But the authorities are appartently installing *more* traffic lights
(albeit in compliance with the modern traffic engineer's commitment to
stopping traffic as much as possible).

On the occasion a cyclist was crushed by a lorry in Hull which had shed its
load by cornering on a roundabout too fast, the police shut the road for 7
hours causing city gridlock.

It is a pity that there aren't more cycle paths in order to segregate
the traffic.

Oh - I forgot - you perhaps don't use them in case you get dog **** on
your tyres, do you?

Old Street roundabout Junction Of Death. spindrift UK 0 July 30th 08 03:32 PM
Old Street roundabout Junction Of Death. spindrift UK 6 July 30th 08 03:30 PM
OT - Time for an Extreme Makeover? Michael Baldwin Racing 12 March 5th 08 01:23 AM
ANyone fail cast tender eye, death be to you, death come quickly whoreBanger Australia 0 June 3rd 06 11:47 AM
Hawthorn 'Bumpadrome' getting a makeover flyingdutch Australia 9 February 28th 06 11:32 PM