approaching horses

Old December 29th 04, 12:41 PM
sean

Default approaching horses

How do horseriders like to be made away that you are approaching them
from behind?

I usually whistle a couple of notes with a doppler-shift feel.......

I have asked people who I have passed if they 'felt' me approaching
before they heard me and often they said yes........how do we (people)
do that?
Sean.
Old December 29th 04, 02:20 PM
pk

sean wrote:
How do horseriders like to be made away that you are approaching them
from behind?

I usually whistle a couple of notes with a doppler-shift feel.......

I have asked people who I have passed if they 'felt' me approaching
before they heard me and often they said yes........how do we (people)
do that?
Sean.

the horse would be aware and the rider aware of the horse's unease.

i do a signle ping on my bell when a long way back to let the rider know i
am alert to them

pk

Old December 29th 04, 02:22 PM
Tony W

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
How do horseriders like to be made away that you are approaching them
from behind?

A not too loud and distinctly friendly-toned "cyclist coming up behind"

will do
the trick. Also talk to the horse & rider as you carefully cycle by.

Many years ago I was told (by a very experienced horsewoman who was on the
verge of the British Olympic team) that, as fair distance back, I should
pull out so the horse could see me (horses can look backwards) and make a
'gentle' noise. Ringing a bell was OK but a horn was not.

The trick, apparently, is to make the horse aware of your presence while
still far enough away that you are not an immediate attack threat. The
horse can then keep an eye on you but won't (probably, they are terminally
stupid animals) bolt.

Once closer a friendly hello or a ring of the bell to alert the rider will
then cause the horse less panic.

However, another horse riding friend nearly hit me when I did this -- she
thought ringing a bell would cause the stupid animal to bolt.

I also find that giving them a wide berth and coasting (not pedalling) past
them helps.

Old December 29th 04, 02:45 PM
bob watkinson

"sean" wrote in message
om...
How do horseriders like to be made away that you are approaching them
from behind?

I usually whistle a couple of notes with a doppler-shift feel.......

I have asked people who I have passed if they 'felt' me approaching
before they heard me and often they said yes........how do we (people)
do that?
Sean.

might be an idea to post this to a horsey type group to get a wider
consensus, then report the result back here.

Old December 29th 04, 02:51 PM
elyob

"pk" wrote in message
sean wrote:
How do horseriders like to be made away that you are approaching them
from behind?

I usually whistle a couple of notes with a doppler-shift feel.......

I have asked people who I have passed if they 'felt' me approaching
before they heard me and often they said yes........how do we (people)
do that?
Sean.

the horse would be aware and the rider aware of the horse's unease.

i do a signle ping on my bell when a long way back to let the rider know i
am alert to them

It's a shame the Sunday strolling peds can't hear a bell. I've done a
trackstand right behind people and still pinging my bell. They really are
oblivious sometimes.

Old December 29th 04, 04:09 PM
Tony W

"elyob" wrote in message
.. .

It's a shame the Sunday strolling peds can't hear a bell. I've done a
trackstand right behind people and still pinging my bell. They really are
oblivious sometimes.

Some can't see you when you are right in front of them.

I had to stop and literally shout at this dopey woman two yards in front of
me yesterday who was walking along in a group chattering away with brain
switched off.

Grrr. Even more terminally stupid than a horse.

Old December 29th 04, 04:24 PM
Tony B

Some can't see you when you are right in front of them.

my ride today took me through the very centre of Stockport, through a
ped zone that has a cyclepath through the middle. Christ, that was hard
work - like the old video game "Defender". It was such fun I did it on
the way back too ;-)

bfn,

Tony B
Old December 29th 04, 04:59 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Tony B wrote:

my ride today took me through the very centre of Stockport, through a
ped zone that has a cyclepath through the middle. Christ, that was hard
work - like the old video game "Defender". It was such fun I did it on
the way back too ;-)

Bet you missed the "smart bomb" button to clear the whole field of peds ;-)
Old December 29th 04, 06:15 PM
Danny Colyer

elyob wrote:
It's a shame the Sunday strolling peds can't hear a bell. I've done a
trackstand right behind people and still pinging my bell. They really are
oblivious sometimes.

I remember many years ago coming up behind a group of peds on a towpath
and ringing my bell a number of times. Eventually I slowly made my way
past on the edge of the path, to hear the sound of a voice behind me
asking: "Why didn't he ring his bell?"

Then there was the chap last year who, having had a clear view of me for
some distance while walking towards me, jumped out of his skin when I
passed him and had a go at me for not ringing my bell. Personally I
tend to reserve the bell for when I'm coming up behind someone, I'd
consider it rather bad manners to ring the bell when someone couldn't
reasonably be expected not to have seen me.

I wouldn't use a bell when approaching a horse. I'll stick to using a
reassuring voice instead.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old December 29th 04, 07:48 PM
Mike Causer

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 04:41:47 -0800, sean wrote:

How do horseriders like to be made away that you are approaching them from
behind?

About 50m behind I call out "Cyclist behind you". A voice just might be
more reassuring to dobbin than ringing a bell.

I have asked people who I have passed if they 'felt' me approaching before
they heard me and often they said yes........how do we (people) do that?

You are Undead, and ICMFP.

Mike