A Parting Word

Old February 10th 05, 05:43 AM
Edward Dolan

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
Subject: A Parting Word
Newsgroup: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
= = wrote:

This was in response to your question ... "You're not very good at
reading headers, are you?" Read what Ed Dolan wrote below ant then go
back and read the post...

Right, and I asked you, "what - EMAIL - headers"? Get it now?

Ed Gin's Email Impersonation Circus - analysis of the forged headers

I read it. Less than brilliant analysis, but you convinced Ed Dolan.

What I was actually referring to, however, was the practice of ensuring
obscurity by establishing an account with a Usenet news proxy server
for the purpose of annonymous sniping, which is a related in
intention, but different in terms of execution from the practice email
header forgery. Both, however, go hand in had to serve the coward well
who prefers to remain faceless in the face of battle.

The only reason I jumped in is because you seemed to accuse Nget of the
same
thing as Ed Gin. Nothing can be farther from the truth. Nget posts
through
cyclingforums.com, which uses usenetserver.com for it's NNTP provider.
Just
because he does not list his name and an email address does not make him
'sniper'.

I am in agreement with you on the jerk that posts from newsfeeds.com and
uses
other's names.

Nget is OK with me too as he is RESPONSIVE, which is all I ever require of a
correspondent. I am not really interested in who is who and where they are
posting from as long as they are responsive. Ed Gin is a parrot who just
spews garbage and trash.

This newsgroup is finally learning what a troll is. I was never a troll. I
was merely a bit contentious and argumentative. Too bad the group had to
learn all of this the hard way.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 10th 05, 06:44 AM

Graham,

Perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully. I'm not
accusing nget of doing the same thing as Ed Gin. Nget does not forge
email headers. A quick look at both newsfeeds.com and usenetserver.com
websites seemed to indicate that one could set up accounts with either
service and obscure one's identity. I did fail to notice that nget
posts from cyclingforums.com that uses usenetserver.com as its NNTP
provider and stand corrected in that respect. As concerns the analysis
of Ed Gin's email headers, a more thorough analysis was already done in
the past. My intention was merely to specifically identify the email
header forgery elements employed by Ed Gin for impersonation and the
Usenet news proxy server that Ed has his account with. I thought that
more than sufficient for my intended purpose. One could argue back an
forth regarding the use of the term sniper, but a sniper is one who
shoots at someone from a concealed place and concealment comes in
various flavors. Granted, Ed's and nget's methods of concealment
are entirely different in terms of form and execution. Nget does not
forge email headers with the intention of impersonating someone else as
Ed Gin does. It is just that when one takes pot shots at another and
does so without revealing their name or real email address this is akin
to shooting at another from concealed place which is the nature of what
a sniper does and hence the term sniping. Now, I perfectly understand
the need to conceal ones identity, if for no better reason than to
minimize the amount of junk email that one can get from posting in a
public forum due to email harvesting spambots. On the other hand, I
also understand the frustration of those who are up front about who
they really are but find themselves in the heat of a flame war with
what is for all practical purposes a faceless enemy so to speak. Just
so that there is no confusion, I never said nor meant that nget was
anything like Ed Gin. I know few people that are and we can all be
thankful for that. I hope that clears the air.

Jim McNamara

= = wrote:

This was in response to your question ... "You're not very good at
reading headers, are you?" Read what Ed Dolan wrote below ant then

go
back and read the post...

Right, and I asked you, "what - EMAIL - headers"? Get it now?

Ed Gin's Email Impersonation Circus - analysis of the forged headers

I read it. Less than brilliant analysis, but you convinced Ed Dolan.

What I was actually referring to, however, was the practice of

ensuring
obscurity by establishing an account with a Usenet news proxy

server
for the purpose of annonymous sniping, which is a related in
intention, but different in terms of execution from the practice

email
header forgery. Both, however, go hand in hand to serve the coward

well
who prefers to remain faceless in the face of battle.

The only reason I jumped in is because you seemed to accuse Nget of

the same
thing as Ed Gin. Nothing can be farther from the truth. Nget posts

through
cyclingforums.com, which uses usenetserver.com for it's NNTP

provider. Just
because he does not list his name and an email address does not make

him a

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Old February 10th 05, 07:10 AM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Excellent post Jim. I am learning more from you via your posts to this group
that I have ever learned from reading manuals on Usenet. I think if I were
ever to start over on Usenet I would choose a user name rather my real name,
but I never suspected that such low life as Ed Gin existed. Well, live and
learn I guess.

Forging email headers with the intention of impersonating someone else is
nothing short of criminal. I wonder when the hell this group is going to get
their heads screwed on straight as to what Ed Gin is doing and what a
******* he is. However it may be that recumbent cyclists are just plain
stupid and can never understand what is happening here on ARBR due to Ed
Gin. Mr. Sherman of course knows what is going on but he has taken the
coward's way out - lie low and maybe all of this will blow over.

Anyone who equates Jim and I with this ******* Ed Gin is going to get a
blast from Hell from me!

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 10th 05, 07:33 AM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
oups.com...
Readership,

Ed Gin relishes exhausting his opposition ... discouraging his
adversary from making further posts. When someone becomes glutted from
Ed Gin's bull**** and concludes that enough is enough, adds Ed to a
kill file and refrains from responding, Ed regards this as an act of
surrender ... an adversary vanquished ... a victory to be celebrated.
The only reason that I've not yet terminated this squabble is because
I'd rather not give Ed even that small shred of satisfaction. On the
other hand, it is the readership that pays the price. They are the
victims here. I feel that it would be selfish of me to pursue this any
longer and subject the readership to any further suffering. One thing
that I learned from past skirmishes with Ed is that responding to him
only serves to encourage him. He feeds off of responses much like a
parasite feeds off of a host organism. Someone has to be the bigger
person if this is to end. It may as well be me. Unfortunately, the
readership will not entirely be spared, as Ed will undoubtedly select
another victim. This is the nature of a parasite, in this case an
ungoverned, unscrupulous, slimy, bottom feeding troll ... an oozing
festering, canker on the hide of Internet forums.

I suspect that there are those that consider Ed Gin, Ed Dolan and
myself to be whackos. I suspect that there are those who respect me
for taking Ed Gin on. I suspect that there are also those who will
respect me for calling it quits. Unlike Ed, I've better things to do
with my time, so he's all yours folks. I'm out of here. Gee, Ed ... I
miss you already ... N O T !!!

Jim McNamara

Screw it Jim! Let us take down the newsgroup since no one else here gives a
damn. Hey, if Mr. Sherman who has been posting here for 5 years does not
care, why should any of the rest of us. Screw ARBR all the way to hell and
back. Unless and until I see some others here besides you and me intent on
defending this group, then let it die and good riddance. ARBR does not
deserve to exist if it is so gutless that it will not defend itself against
a criminal troll like Ed Gin.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 10th 05, 07:55 AM
nget

G. Morgan Wrote:
Newsgroup: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
= Edward Dolan = wrote:

Graham, examine the header of any of the posts by Ed Gin under his

many sock
puppets.

snip

I'm well aware of how to read USENET headers. I'm asking Columbo (Jim)
what
EMAIL headers.

He accuses Nget of posting anonymously, but how is his style any
better? Would
Columbo be satisfied if Nget were to post a email address from a free
service
like Yahoo or Gmail too? I can tell exactly what city and state Nget
is
posting from and his ISP, hardly anonymous or trying to cover up his
tracks as
Jim claims.

I have my newsreader set to display full headers above each message.
When
dealing with a scumbag like Robert L. Bass in another newsgroup, one
has to be
sharp.

Here Nget, (and anyone else) have a Gmail account so no one can accuse
you of
hiding.

http://s92464059.onlinehome.us/gmail/

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Now that you know where I live why not stop by for a beer sometime?When
you get in the area just ask anyone where the guy lives who rides the
funny bikes. You can test ride my trike.Btw did anybody notice the
front door to this place is wide open.Anyone can just come right in the
house and **** on the floor if they want to.But its all about freedom of
speech right?

--
nget

Old February 10th 05, 08:26 AM
Edward Dolan

"nget" wrote in message
[...]
Btw did anybody notice the
front door to this place is wide open.Anyone can just come right in the
house and **** on the floor if they want to.But its all about freedom of
speech right?

--
nget

Right you are Nget. That is what Ed Gin does every time he posts to this
group, but with him it has nothing to do with freedom of speech. It has to
do with abuse of free speech. He is nothing but a criminal and he ****s on
this group every time he posts. Care to find me a single post of his which
is otherwise?

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 10th 05, 04:40 PM
nget

Edward Dolan Wrote:
"nget" wrote in message
[...]
Btw did anybody notice the
front door to this place is wide open.Anyone can just come right in

the
house and **** on the floor if they want to.But its all about freedom

of
speech right?

--
nget

Right you are Nget. That is what Ed Gin does every time he posts to
this
group, but with him it has nothing to do with freedom of speech. It has
do with abuse of free speech. He is nothing but a criminal and he ****s
on
this group every time he posts. Care to find me a single post of his
which
is otherwise?

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

I was not really referring to Gins freedom of speech,but rather yours
and mine.There has always been a price to pay for those who cherish
freedom.I know at this time there are those who are willing to pay a
much higher price than you and I were asked.Suck it up baby.

--
nget

Old February 10th 05, 08:23 PM

Ed,

Taking down the newsgroup would be a daunting and an implausible task
and it wouldn't be in anyone's best interest. When not monopolized by
a troll like Ed Gin, the newsgroup serves a worthwhile purpose. Now,
purging it of a troll like Ed Gin is entirely another matter. That's
an objective worth pursuing and achieving. The unfortunate thing
though, as you now realize, with the vociferous exchange of rhetoric
required, you and I have been mistaken for trolls ourselves, but that
is the risk one faces when engaging a troll. The readership
understandably gets upset with both sides of the opposition when a
flame war erupts and the newsgroup degenerates into an arena for a
****ing match. This very scenario is played out on a daily basis in
most of the newsgroups in cyberspace. It is part and parcel of the
design, meaning an unmoderated public forum with a multitude of
participants with differing opinions who inevitably butt heads. As
naturally happens, more members enter into the ongoing battle and
things are totally up for grabs as toes are stepped on and alliances
are forged. This very thing happened between nget and me. In the heat
of battle, we misunderstood each other intentions, over-reacted, sniped
at one another and buy the time I tried to unravel things and make
peace with the guy; he was hearing none of it. I had hoped that there
would be no hard feelings. I have nothing against him, but apparently
he just doesn't feel the same ... a shame really, but there isn't
anything I can do about it. I posted this before in another form, but
for the benefit of the readership, here is my take on forums. I think
you will find it to be a fairly accurate description of a process of
evolution that I like to refer to as ... an insight into the life and
phases of a mailing list ... A Perspective:

Like it or not, mailing lists commonly undergo an evolutionary process
regardless of whether they are moderated forums forums or unmoderated
newsgroups. The natural life cycle of a mailing list, with its various
phases, might be summed best as follows:

1. Declaration of Enthusiasm ... Subscribers introduce themselves
and gush over how wonderful it is to have encountered kindred spirits.

2. Birth of Evangelism ... Participants moan about how the mailing
list consists of far too few members and brainstorming ensues to
initiate recruitment strategies.

3. Expansion of Community ... An ever increasing number of
interested parties subscribe and contribute to the mailing list.
Lengthy threads develop (some more relevant than others).

4. Emergence of Camaraderie ... Information and advice is exchanged
(some empirically founded ... some just anecdotal nonsense).
Friendships are forged. Members rib one another, but all in good
fun. New subscribers are welcomed and veterans are patient with
newbies. Both newcomers and old-timers alike are comfortable asking
questions, providing answers, and sharing experiences.

5. Ascent of Disenchantment ... The volume of postings increases
dramatically. Not all threads are of interest to all participants.
Some participants pitch a bitch about signal-to-noise ratio,
off-topic
threads, me too posts, forwarding of private emails, and other
violations of mailing list netiquette. Member #1 threatens to
unsubscribe if things don't change for the better. Member #2 aligns
himself with Member #1. Member #3 disagrees with both Members #1 and
#2. Member #4 suggests that Members #1, #2, and #3 should lighten
up. Flame wars erupt and adversaries emerge. Bandwidth is sacrificed
as an abundance of postings proliferate in an effort to resolve
differences and restore some semblance of order. During this
particular phase, many a delete key gets more than its share of
abuse.

6. Stagnancy of Growth ... The purists castigate members who ask
an old question or respond humorously to a serious post. Newcomers
are rebuffed and discouraged. Traffic volume subsides considerably
and is generally confined to minor topics. Many relevant issues are
communicated via private emails. Some members turn in their
membership cards in a huff and the remaining members continue to
participate in phases #4 and/or #5 above.

7. Someone like me pounds away at the keyboard composing a posting
such as this one in an effort to stir the juices of those members who
find themselves entrenched in the quagmire of phase #4 and/or #5
above ;-) Well, at least this posting should prove to be a thought
provoking departure from the norm and hopefully sheds some light on
the nature of the beast we have come to love and hate ... the mailing
list.

Jim McNamara

P.S. I will likely mak this a seaprate (new topic) post as wel

Old February 10th 05, 10:08 PM
Edward Dolan

"nget" wrote in message

Edward Dolan Wrote:
"nget" wrote in message
[...]
[...]

The fact remains that Ed Gin is a scoundrel and no one has ever done what he
has done on ARBR. Not everything should be sucked up.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

The word is out: It's over. packfiller Racing 3 October 15th 04 06:22 PM
What's wrong with using the word "helmet" wheelsgoround UK 131 September 6th 04 08:51 PM
tdf word of the day purphekt General 9 July 16th 04 10:33 PM
Unicycling - Not a word? fluffinator007 Unicycling 13 March 13th 04 12:57 PM
The Word of the Day for July 9 is... Tom Schulenburg Racing 1 July 9th 03 09:15 PM