Recumbent Bicycle made from a Tree Trunk Pic

Old May 18th 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Default Recumbent Bicycle made from a Tree Trunk Pic

Copenhagen (I assume you mean Danmark) is one of the safest cycling cities
on the planets. We're talking about a city where all the taxi cabs have bike
racks. We're talking about a country that does not have a domestically
produced car and that (as of 1992) had a 100% import duty on automobiles.

If I had no roots in the US, I'd be living in Danmark tomorrow. I know the
winter are long but it is a great country full of great people and I've
spent enough time there to know. You can't compare the safety of cycling in
Danmark to White Plains, NY where I live. Everyone in Danmark is used to a
high volume of bike traffic. The whole structure of the roads is designed to
support the high volume of bike traffic.

You are seen because the motorists expect you to be there. Please don't
expect to be seen in New York.

Jeff
"Jon Bendtsen" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom_Sherman" wrote in message
[...]

The visibility issue is minor to non-existent; I consistently get more
room from motor vehicles when riding a recumbent. Except for a few
lowracers, visibility and being seen is a non-issue (unless you believe
driving a normal sedan is also unsafe).

Jeff Grippe would disagree with you about the visibility issue in dense
urban traffic situations.

i drive my Cruzbike Freerider in dense urban traffic situations.
While i live in Copenhagen and most roads does have a seperate
bike path along the side, there are roads that does not have a bike
path. I see fine and i believe i am seen.

Old May 18th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Sandlin

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom_Sherman" wrote in message
[...]

The visibility issue is minor to non-existent; I consistently get more
room from motor vehicles when riding a recumbent. Except for a few
lowracers, visibility and being seen is a non-issue (unless you believe
driving a normal sedan is also unsafe).

Jeff Grippe would disagree with you about the visibility issue in dense
urban traffic situations.
[...]

Cagers miss seeing upright cyclists all the time.

Chances are that if Jeff had been on an upright instead of a low to the
ground recumbent trike, that he would have been seen and not run into.
Dense urban traffic situations are very dangerous for recumbents. It is best
to avoid these conditions altogether unless you have a shoulder to ride on.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Question:

Ok, guys, how does he steer the thing?
Old May 18th 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604

Sandlin writes:

Question:

Ok, guys, how does he steer the thing?

It's not very obvious in the photo, but there are low handlebars,
apparently attached to the front fork.

I had to look twice to find them.
73, doug
Old May 19th 09, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
m...

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Well speaking for Jeff Grippe,

I was on a Tricruiser which is quite a high trike. I had a very bright
blinky light and it wasn't dark. I was right in the middle of the lane and
not off to the side as there was no shoulder at that point.

The car that hit me wasn't paying attention. It was a combination of bad
judgement and high vulnerability.

In most places, cyclists aren't safe. Car drivers aren't trained to share
the road. There are far too many car drivers and far too few cyclists.
When the ratio is a bit more balanced then riding will be safer. It has
nothing to do with the design of the bike and everything to do with the
design of motorists.

You are not nearly so free to maneuver on a recumbent as you are on an
upright. If a motorist is bound and determined to hit you, there is not much
you can do about it, but it is easier to maneuver out of the way of trouble
on an upright than it is on a recumbent, many of which are quite awkward. We
are basically potted plants on a recumbent.
[...]

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

What Is A Recumbent Bicycle? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 15 July 31st 08 08:46 AM
The Bicycle Tree Don Whybrow UK 4 May 21st 07 10:59 PM
FA: THULE TRUNK/HATCH MOUNTED bicycle rack, cheap Bologna Sandwich Marketplace 0 November 5th 05 11:27 PM
FS Thule Trunk Mounted Bicycle Rack [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 26th 05 08:53 AM
Home made unicycle for long distance: Making a uni from a bicycle. Mike McDermott Unicycling 15 December 5th 03 12:24 PM