proposal to put number plates on bicycles

Old August 2nd 06, 05:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John38

Default proposal to put number plates on bicycles

John38
Old August 2nd 06, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 04:06:42 +0000, John38 wrote:

Last Updated: Friday, 28 July 2006, 17:09 GMT 18:09 UK

Old news.

Mike
Old August 2nd 06, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx

John38 came up with the following;:

'twould appear John38 doesn't bother reading the newsgroup before posting,
or he/she/it would have seen this already being discussed.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old August 2nd 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , John38
') wrote:

Yes, we know. It's stupid, and it won't happen. We'll have to waste time
opposing it, however. Yawn.

;; If Python is executable pseudocode,
;; then Perl is executable line noise
-- seen on Slashdot.
Old August 2nd 06, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Weaver

Mike Causer wrote:
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 04:06:42 +0000, John38 wrote:

Last Updated: Friday, 28 July 2006, 17:09 GMT 18:09 UK

Old news.

True, but at least now we have someone to vote for instead:

http://news.independent.co.uk/people...cle1209723.ece
The campaign to persuade the petrolhead to stand for the Tories as London Mayor -
against the "newt-keeping lunatic" Ken Livingstone (his words) - faces opposition from
his friend and Top Gear colleague Richard Hammond.

"If he stood he would win it," Hammond tells me. "But can you bloody imagine it? He'd be
scary. He would roar around London in a Lamborghini with a huge mayoral flagpole,
shooting cyclists. I hope he doesn't go for it."

If clarkson got in, the city would grind to a halt with the extra
traffic on the road, and cyclists would have a free reign. The large
flagpole would allow us to see him and take an alternative route

Old August 2nd 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Paul Weaver wrote on 02/08/2006 09:46 +0100:

If clarkson got in, the city would grind to a halt with the extra
traffic on the road, and cyclists would have a free reign. The large
flagpole would allow us to see him and take an alternative route

But even the BBC says you can't take the WHW seriously

"The Committee believed that the majority of the Top Gear audience would
have been aware that Jeremy Clarkson often uses the most exaggerated
stereotypes to support or defend his opinions and would not have taken
his comments seriously..... However, the Committee did not believe that,
when looking at the audience as a whole, they would have felt that the
comments were anything more than Jeremy Clarkson using outrageous
behaviour to amuse his audience"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/text...2006_text.html

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old August 2nd 06, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John38

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:31:54 +0100, Paul - xxx
wrote:
John38 came up with the following;:

'twould appear John38 doesn't bother reading the newsgroup before posting,
or he/she/it would have seen this already being discussed.

umm, (he) *does* read the newsgroup before posting, just not every
flipping thread. The thread marked "Ken being a berk" is not immidiately
salient to the subject (especially if one doesn't live in London). As
you have gathered, I didn't read that thread, so, please accept my
humble apologies for putting your nose out of joint.

--
John38
Old August 2nd 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

John38 said the following on 02/08/2006 10:58:

umm, (he) *does* read the newsgroup before posting, just not every
flipping thread. The thread marked "Ken being a berk" is not immidiately
salient to the subject (especially if one doesn't live in London).

You've made a basic mistake - London is the centre of the universe, and
things that happen there are representative of the rest of the country.
The rest of the country in turn is expected to know who "Ken" is
simply on hearing his first name uttered.

The above is all false, because everyone really knows that Somerset is
where it's all at :-) Must remember to brush the straw out of smock
before going to visit "the city" (Wells!!!)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 2nd 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

"Paul Boyd" wrote in message
John38 said the following on 02/08/2006 10:58:

umm, (he) *does* read the newsgroup before posting, just not every
flipping thread. The thread marked "Ken being a berk" is not immidiately
salient to the subject (especially if one doesn't live in London).

You've made a basic mistake - London is the centre of the universe, and
things that happen there are representative of the rest of the country.
The rest of the country in turn is expected to know who "Ken" is simply on
hearing his first name uttered.

And which Londoner posted the thread "Ken's being a berk"?

Old August 2nd 06, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sue White

Simon Brooke whizzed past me shouting
in message , John38
') wrote:

Yes, we know. It's stupid, and it won't happen. We'll have to waste time
opposing it, however. Yawn.

Could we do a deal where we get to keep newts instead?

--
Sue ]

Does anyone remember why they stopped licensing sound radios?

Why bicycles are better than womoen davidm Australia 3 April 28th 06 06:27 AM
Cycling number plates. Oscar Australia 9 February 10th 05 11:29 PM
Number Plates Scott Morrison Marketplace 0 November 19th 04 07:53 PM
Cities Turning to Bicycles Roger Zoul General 468 October 20th 04 02:53 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM