The dream is back

Old October 12th 04, 08:47 PM
Edward Dolan

"MasterBlaster" wrote in message
news:ZqPad.32260$663.22778@edtnps84...

"Edward Dolan" wrote

I come from a long line of name calling gentry and I am to the manor
born.

Was that the manor on 4th Ave, just south of Park Lane?

Sort of in the middle of this view (old pic)...?
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...24164&z=15&w=1

Yes, I am at the house that is the only remaining house in the downtown
core. It is the oldest house in town still standing at 125 years. However,
when I go (die) the house will go with me as it has not been kept up over
the years. Fourth Avenue a hundred years ago was the premier street in town
where all the doctors and lawyers lived. See the movie "The Magnificent
Ambersons" for a clue as to how things were, but no longer are.

There is another very old house in town which is presently being restored at
a cost of a million dollars and will be the showplace for pioneer houses
(Worthington was established as a railroad town and so never had a poverty
stricken pioneer past with sod houses). It is known as the Dayton House and
was the former home of the founder of the Dayton department stores which is
a very big deal here in the Upper Midwest. The Dayton stores are probably
best known these days as Target, although they still retain the Dayton name
for some of their stores.

Worthington, for those who are interested, is about as fine a small town as
there is in the world. It is a full service town and there is never any
reason to go anywhere else for anything. If you walk down the streets, you
will not get very far because others will smile at you and want to talk to
you.

I have often thought that Worthington is not grand, but it is progressive.
As an instance of this, we recently had three all night super grocery stores
operating (until Wal-Mart put one of them out of business) and we have two
Internet service providers who also give us cable TV and telephone services.
Those of us who occasionally feel the need to go to the big city access the
interstate highway outside of town and we can be in Sioux Falls in about an
hour.

However, the very best thing about Worthington is that I can be out in the
relatively unspoiled countryside in three minutes on my bike where I can
have hundreds of miles of blacktop all to myself except for the occasional
local farmer coming into town for some shopping. You couldn't pay me to live
in a large city or metro. I am smart enough to know when I am well off.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old October 13th 04, 03:05 AM
Mark Leuck

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"MasterBlaster" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote

I come from a long line of name calling gentry and I am to the manor
born.

Was that the manor on 4th Ave, just south of Park Lane?

Sort of in the middle of this view (old pic)...?
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...24164&z=15&w=1

Yes, I am at the house that is the only remaining house in the downtown
core. It is the oldest house in town still standing at 125 years. However,
when I go (die) the house will go with me as it has not been kept up over
the years.

perhaps if u didn't post so much you'd have more time to keep up the house

However, the very best thing about Worthington is that I can be out in the
relatively unspoiled countryside in three minutes on my bike where I can
have hundreds of miles of blacktop all to myself except for the occasional
local farmer coming into town for some shopping. You couldn't pay me to

live
in a large city or metro. I am smart enough to know when I am well off.

big whoop, I can do the same thing where live in Dallas Ft/Worth

Old October 13th 04, 03:37 AM
G. Morgan

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:05:30 GMT "Mark Leuck"
used 34 lines of text to write in newsgroup:
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

big whoop, I can do the same thing where live in Dallas Ft/Worth

Let me know when you plan on riding down Stemmons freeway on your
tricycle, I gotta see that.

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Old October 13th 04, 03:55 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"MasterBlaster" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote

I come from a long line of name calling gentry and I am to the manor
born.

Was that the manor on 4th Ave, just south of Park Lane?

Sort of in the middle of this view (old pic)...?
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...24164&z=15&w=1

Yes, I am at the house that is the only remaining house in the downtown
core. It is the oldest house in town still standing at 125 years.
However,
when I go (die) the house will go with me as it has not been kept up over
the years.

perhaps if u didn't post so much you'd have more time to keep up the house

It is strictly a cost thing. My parents let the house go and it is now a
hopeless situation. The only thing I am doing is trying to prevent the city
inspector from condemning the place as uninhabitable. I am in a race with
the house as to who is going to go first, me or it.

However, the very best thing about Worthington is that I can be out in
the
relatively unspoiled countryside in three minutes on my bike where I can
have hundreds of miles of blacktop all to myself except for the
occasional
local farmer coming into town for some shopping. You couldn't pay me to

live
in a large city or metro. I am smart enough to know when I am well off.

big whoop, I can do the same thing where live in Dallas Ft/Worth

I mean I can be out of town and in the countryside in three minutes on my
bike. But the town itself is a very pleasant place to ride your bike. I do
not go out of town as much anymore as I used to.

I have relatives who live in the Chicago metro and frankly it is a horror to
cycle there. Normally, if you want to access the countryside, you will have
to put your bike in the car and drive for a couple of hours though heavy
traffic to even get to the country. What possible fun can that be? I think
all metros are pretty much like Chicago. You are trapped like a rat in a
cage.

Small towns here in the Upper Midwest are a paradise on this earth and
sooner or later the whole world will want to live here. The only thing that
keeps folks in the cities is their jobs. Otherwise, it is no contest.

I have the police scanner on all night when I am up and do you know what all
the calls are about. Yup, you guessed it - barking dogs and playing music
too loud. And these very minor problems are taken care of with dispatch by
the police. Sometimes I just can't believe how civilized my home town is.
You should all be so lucky as to live in a small town in the Upper Midwest.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old October 17th 04, 01:36 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

When I was in college I was taught by world famous professors and I was also
taught by graduate assistants. The graduate assistants were all worthless as
teachers and some few of the world famous professors weren't half bad. That
is the difference, you nut case!...

And some world famous professors are excellent researchers but awful
teachers, and some teaching assistants do a very good job.

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

Old October 17th 04, 01:46 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

[...]

This confirms my suspicion that Mr. Dolan could get away without working
much (as he likes to mention) because he inherited property.

[...]

I happen to know several "Monkeys" who ride lowracers in the Chicago
area. However, they are finding traffic worse and worse, and keep on
having to add more roads to the "avoid" list.

Small towns here in the Upper Midwest are a paradise on this earth and
sooner or later the whole world will want to live here. The only thing that
keeps folks in the cities is their jobs. Otherwise, it is no contest.

I have the police scanner on all night when I am up and do you know what all
the calls are about. Yup, you guessed it - barking dogs and playing music
too loud. And these very minor problems are taken care of with dispatch by
the police. Sometimes I just can't believe how civilized my home town is.
You should all be so lucky as to live in a small town in the Upper Midwest.

On the other hand, small Midwestern towns can be socially and
intellectually stifling. (For the record, I lived in or near a small
Wisconsin town for about 10 years) and near a small Illinois town for
about 3 years.)

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

Old October 17th 04, 08:12 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
It is strictly a cost thing. My parents let the house go and it is now a
hopeless situation. The only thing I am doing is trying to prevent the
city inspector from condemning the place as uninhabitable. I am in a race
with the house as to who is going to go first, me or it.

This confirms my suspicion that Mr. Dolan could get away without working
much (as he likes to mention) because he inherited property.

The secret to my success is never having married and never spending much
money. I am a saver that would put the rest of you to shame. The only things
I have ever splurged on are some of my recumbents and my stereo gear. You
also must never spend money on houses and cars and other such extravaganzas.
Think poor, live poor and be poor. That is how you avoid work.
[...]

Small towns here in the Upper Midwest are a paradise on this earth and
sooner or later the whole world will want to live here. The only thing
that keeps folks in the cities is their jobs. Otherwise, it is no
contest.

I have the police scanner on all night when I am up and do you know what
all the calls are about. Yup, you guessed it - barking dogs and playing
music too loud. And these very minor problems are taken care of with
dispatch by the police. Sometimes I just can't believe how civilized my
home town is. You should all be so lucky as to live in a small town in
the Upper Midwest.

On the other hand, small Midwestern towns can be socially and
intellectually stifling. (For the record, I lived in or near a small
Wisconsin town for about 10 years) and near a small Illinois town for
about 3 years.)

That is somewhat important when you are young. As you get older it becomes
less and less important. I live mostly in my own mind as is suitable for a
hermit. But even when I lived in New York, I only knew a handful of people.
A social butterfly I never was.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old October 17th 04, 08:30 AM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

When I was in college I was taught by world famous professors and I was
also taught by graduate assistants. The graduate assistants were all
worthless as teachers whereas some few of the world famous professors
weren't half bad. That is the difference, you nut case!...

And some world famous professors are excellent researchers but awful
teachers, and some teaching assistants do a very good job.

MOST world famous professors were not good as teachers at all. The trouble
with graduate assistants is that they were earnest enough, but there was
never any entertainment or inspiration from them.

Good teachers are like good entertainers and artists. They not only need to
impart information and styles of how to think, but they need to entertain
and inspire their students too. In all my years of going to college and
graduate school, I can truthfully say I only had a handful of really good
teachers.

A good teacher is worth his weight in gold and it has absolutely nothing to
do with research. I have often thought that faculties could be split and you
would completely separate the researchers from the teachers. In graduate
school you would bring it all back together as students there are mostly
leaning how to perform research.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

switching back from a touring derailleur to road... Sheldon Brown Techniques 3 July 21st 04 02:52 PM
RR: There and Back. Shaun Rimmer Mountain Biking 32 February 21st 04 08:38 PM
exercises for back Matthew General 6 December 15th 03 09:55 PM
Lower back exercises for out of the saddle road climbing Doug Racing 12 October 12th 03 05:09 PM
Lower back pains Jiyang Chen General 7 July 28th 03 01:10 PM