another shimergo combination

Old April 7th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default another shimergo combination

hello,

I read from the archive that Campagnolo 10 shifters work fine with
Campagnolo rear derailleur and shimano 9 cassette.

Does anybody use 10s Ergo with campy derailleur and shimano 10 cassette?
Will this combination work?

thanks,
geos
Old April 7th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

geos wrote:
hello,

I read from the archive that Campagnolo 10 shifters work fine with
Campagnolo rear derailleur and shimano 9 cassette.

Does anybody use 10s Ergo with campy derailleur and shimano 10 cassette?
Will this combination work?

thanks,
geos

Yep, use a 5.9mm chain-new Campag or shimano 10s.

Old April 9th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 7 Apr 2006 05:58:41 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:
geos wrote:

I read from the archive that Campagnolo 10 shifters work fine with
Campagnolo rear derailleur and shimano 9 cassette.

Does anybody use 10s Ergo with campy derailleur and shimano 10 cassette?
Will this combination work?

Yep, use a 5.9mm chain-new Campag or shimano 10s.

I'm confused now. I thought I remembered reading around here that:
(1) a Campy 9 shifter pulled a different amount than a Campy 10
shifter
(2) Campy derailers don't count (9 or 10, no difference)
(3) Campy 9 shifter with Campy derailer was a good match for Shimano 9
cassette.

But now you're saying Campy 10 shifter + Campy derailer + Shimano 9
works. Is it equal to, worse than, or better than C9+C+S9?

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old April 9th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
geos wrote:

I read from the archive that Campagnolo 10 shifters work fine with
Campagnolo rear derailleur and shimano 9 cassette.

Does anybody use 10s Ergo with campy derailleur and shimano 10 cassette?
Will this combination work?

Yep, use a 5.9mm chain-new Campag or shimano 10s.

I'm confused now. I thought I remembered reading around here that:
(1) a Campy 9 shifter pulled a different amount than a Campy 10
shifter
(2) Campy derailers don't count (9 or 10, no difference)
(3) Campy 9 shifter with Campy derailer was a good match for Shimano 9
cassette.

But now you're saying Campy 10 shifter + Campy derailer + Shimano 9
works. Is it equal to, worse than, or better than C9+C+S9?

These guys explain all this about as well as can be. At least I finally
understand. http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

I think the OP mistyped.

Ron
Old April 9th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

(3) Campy 9 shifter with Campy derailer was a good match for Shimano 9
cassette.

But now you're saying Campy 10 shifter + Campy derailer + Shimano 9
works. Is it equal to, worse than, or better than C9+C+S9?

All true. The Campy 10 is a closer match to Shimano 9 than Campy 9
was. Both work.
Old April 9th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
geos wrote:

I read from the archive that Campagnolo 10 shifters work fine with
Campagnolo rear derailleur and shimano 9 cassette.

Does anybody use 10s Ergo with campy derailleur and shimano 10 cassette?
Will this combination work?

Yep, use a 5.9mm chain-new Campag or shimano 10s.

I'm confused now. I thought I remembered reading around here that:
(1) a Campy 9 shifter pulled a different amount than a Campy 10
shifter
(2) Campy derailers don't count (9 or 10, no difference)
(3) Campy 9 shifter with Campy derailer was a good match for Shimano 9
cassette.

But now you're saying Campy 10 shifter + Campy derailer + Shimano 9
works. Is it equal to, worse than, or better than C9+C+S9?

Pat

Email address works as is.

Cogs spacing goes like this-widest-Campag 9s, next, shimano 9s, next
Campag 10s next shimano 10s. The difference between Campag 10s and
Campag 9s and shimano 9s is about the same(actually the differences in
cogs spacing is less with campag 10s and shimano 9s)...close enough to
work.

Old April 9th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

geos wrote:
hello,

I read from the archive that Campagnolo 10 shifters work fine with
Campagnolo rear derailleur and shimano 9 cassette.

Does anybody use 10s Ergo with campy derailleur and shimano 10 cassette?
Will this combination work?

thanks,
geos

Yep, use a 5.9mm chain-new Campag or shimano 10s.

thanks for prompt response,

cheers,
geos
Old April 10th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
geos wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who responded. Next question: is the 10 so much better
that it's worth changing the shift disk when I get the shifter springs
replaced?

Pat
Old April 11th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Cogs spacing goes like this-widest-Campag 9s, next, shimano 9s, next
Campag 10s next shimano 10s. The difference between Campag 10s and
Campag 9s and shimano 9s is about the same(actually the differences in
cogs spacing is less with campag 10s and shimano 9s)...close enough to
work.

thanks Qui si parla Campagnolo. do you know by a chance if the following
combinations of

1) older Campagnolo Record 8sp shifters
2a) Campagnolo 8sp rear derailleur
2b) Shimano Sora 8sp rear derailleur
3) Shimano 8sp cassette

will work fine? I would appreciate your opinion about these particular
combinations.

thanks,
geos
Old April 11th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:12:33 -0500, Pat Lamb
wrote:

Thanks to all who responded. Next question: is the 10 so much better
that it's worth changing the shift disk when I get the shifter springs
replaced?

If someone else is doing the work, they shouldn't charge anything
extra for labor of replacing the shift disk. They will and should
charge extra if they also replace the 10 sp shift cam that is under
the through bolt on the front of the shifter. That is trickier than
spring replacement. Most people that do conversions neglect that
part.

Having someone else replace springs and disk will cost ~$75. You can
sell your 9sp shifters and get new 10 sp ones.