Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

Old August 21st 05, 06:41 PM
Lou Holtman

Default Speaking of Shimano chains amd pins...

Arthur Harris wrote:
I bought an HG-73 9-speed chain from Nashbar. It came with a regular pin
installed on one side of the last link (not a special pin with the guide).
Are you supposed to use this pin after shortening the chain to the correct
size?

Yes. You shorten the chain on the other side. The reason why you should
not reuse a pushed out pin is because the hole in the outer sideplate of
the link became too large for that pin. If you started with a 'fresh'
hole in the outer sideplate this is not the case and so it will be OK to
use the regular pin.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old August 21st 05, 07:21 PM
jim beam

Default Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

Martin wrote:
The other day the mechanic at my local bike shop rejoined my Shimano 10
speed Ultegra chain reusing two rivets. Looking at the link under a
jeweler's magnifying glass I can clearly see that the peening on the
rivets is missing and I can see the countersinking in the plates around
the rivets.

The mechanic is very experienced, very well respected and services many
bikes in a busy shop. It looks like the rivets have been inserted to the
correct depth. Nevertheless the contact area between rivets and plate is
substantially less than it should be and the peeening that would prevent
the rivet moving is absent.

I am interested in readers' opinions and experience regarding the safety
and durability of this repair job. Do many people reuse rivets? Any
experiences of reused rivets working well? or failing?

Many thanks

Martin

on shimano chain, never re-use rivets. as you say, the peened shoulder
sheers off leaving the link side plate free to disengage. always use
the replacement rivet supplied with the chain.

on older chain, particularly sram, it's not a problem as rivets do not
sheer their peening shoulders, but again, this is NOT the case with
shimano, so a new rivet is mandatory.

regarding your mechanic being "well respected", that's much more a
function of their self-promotion abilities than their actual skill or
knowledge - as you seem to suspect. near where i live, there's a guy
that promotes himself as the hottest wheelbuilder around - massive "word
of mouth" following, but having examined several pieces of his work, i
can say that it's distinctly average - more than 1mm lateral play after
100 miles, uneven spoke tensions... very average indeed. otoh, another
builder i know is quite exceptional, but he's very quiet & modest &
"road only" so he's known to a much smaller following of aficionadoes.

Old August 21st 05, 09:48 PM
Monty

He is asking for a broken chain, on a chain
that is known for breaking even when connected properly.

Really?
I have 23,332 miles on my DA10 and have not had a broken chain.
I do have it changed every 1,000-1,500 miles and that may help...

Old August 21st 05, 10:22 PM
Martin

RonSonic wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:46:29 GMT, Martin wrote:

The other day the mechanic at my local bike shop rejoined my Shimano 10
speed Ultegra chain reusing two rivets. Looking at the link under a
jeweler's magnifying glass I can clearly see that the peening on the
rivets is missing and I can see the countersinking in the plates around
the rivets.

I guess I'm slow - why would he need to use two rivets to rejoin a chain? If he
opened the chain for service, that's one rivet - OTOH if he's repairing a broken
chain that's also one rivet.

The special pin that was originally used to join the chain had partially
come out leaving the chain joined by one plate of the link. This plate
was bent so the mechanic replaced one link and reused original rivets at
both ends. The first symptom I noticed was the chain coming off the
small ring (at low speed and moderate effort) on a hill. The mechanic
said he sees that kind of failure quite often in the special pins (which
are installed by the bike manufacturer, not by him).

Martin

Ron

The mechanic is very experienced, very well respected and services many
bikes in a busy shop. It looks like the rivets have been inserted to the
correct depth. Nevertheless the contact area between rivets and plate is
substantially less than it should be and the peeening that would prevent
the rivet moving is absent.

I am interested in readers' opinions and experience regarding the safety
and durability of this repair job. Do many people reuse rivets? Any
experiences of reused rivets working well? or failing?

Many thanks

Martin

--
Removed z before replying by email.
Old August 21st 05, 11:14 PM
Robert Lorenzini

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:48:41 GMT, Monty wrote:

He is asking for a broken chain, on a chain
that is known for breaking even when connected properly.

Really?
I have 23,332 miles on my DA10 and have not had a broken chain.
I do have it changed every 1,000-1,500 miles and that may help...

I decided to save the pin when I replaced my DA10 chain. Left me
by the side of the road within 200 mi. Been using the pin since
and no problems between chain replacement.

Old August 22nd 05, 01:54 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Monty wrote:
He is asking for a broken chain, on a chain
that is known for breaking even when connected properly.

Really?
I have 23,332 miles on my DA10 and have not had a broken chain.
I do have it changed every 1,000-1,500 miles and that may help...

Really. Glad you, as a single rider, with changing your chain
regularly,haven't had an issue. GOOD for you. But as a wrench, I have
seen many 10s systems and have seen about 4 chains DA 10s chains break.
Most were installed improperly, one was installed correctly.

Old August 22nd 05, 02:26 PM
Paul Kopit

On 22 Aug 2005 05:54:25 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

Really. Glad you, as a single rider, with changing your chain
regularly,haven't had an issue. GOOD for you. But as a wrench, I have
seen many 10s systems and have seen about 4 chains DA 10s chains break.
Most were installed improperly, one was installed correctly.

I happen to like Shimano 10 chain. I never use the Shimano links.
Somehow, I've never been skilled enough to get the break off link to
work perfectly, even with the 9sp chain.

I do us the Sram 9 link on Shimano 9 and 10 chain and other 10sp
chain.

So far, my favorite 10sp link is the Connex 10 because it's easy to
install and comes off easy too. The downside is the cost of an
individual link. I do use the same link over several chains and have
done so for several years now w/o bad results.
Old August 22nd 05, 04:40 PM
John Everett

wrote:

He is asking for a broken chain, on a chain
that is known for breaking even when connected properly.

Really?
I have 23,332 miles on my DA10 and have not had a broken chain.
I do have it changed every 1,000-1,500 miles and that may help...

As the service rep at my Mercedes-Benz dealer said to me when I told
him I change my oil every 3,000 miles, "Well, it's your money."

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3