Dame Sarah Storey urges government to clarify "ambiguity" on ridingtwo abreast

Old October 23rd 20, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Dame Sarah Storey urges government to clarify "ambiguity" on ridingtwo abreast

QUOTE:
The record-breaking paralympian and British Cycling Policy Advocate has asked for further clarity, claiming that the wording of proposed new Highway Code rules don't make it clear enough that riding two abreast is allowed.

She said in a statement: “The intention of the proposal is to make it clear that riding two abreast is not just legal but it’s also safer and more convenient for all road users – and that includes drivers as well. However, our concern is that the proposed wording doesn’t achieve that goal and the existing ambiguity around this issue remains..

“If you think about a situation where you might be riding with your child, as I do on a regular basis, you want to make sure that you have your child on the left of you so that if somebody is passing too quickly or closely you are offering them some protection. In this situation we don’t believe that a parent should ever feel compelled to ‘single out’.

“Similarly, if you’re out on the road in a group, if you’re in single file there’s a much longer line of cyclists for a driver to pass. On the road it might not be possible to do this safely while maintaining a safe distance from the group, particularly if there’s a bend ahead or a traffic island. If you’re riding two abreast, it makes it much easier for the driver to overtake safely and they’ll also have better visibility of what is coming towards them.

“We know that this issue is a longstanding subject of debate between motorists and people on bikes, with unnecessary hostility often directed to those out cycling, usually in the form of dangerous overtaking. Through the consultation we have the opportunity to clear up the confusion once and for all, and it’s absolutely vital that the Government hears the experiences of thousands of people who would benefit from this change.”

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling...log-item-19937