Near Miss of the Day 488: Driver turns across cyclist on shared-use path

Old October 26th 20, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 488: Driver turns across cyclist on shared-use path

What a knobhead this driver is!
QUOTE:
Today's video in our Near Miss of the Day series shows the moment a motorist turned across a cyclist on a shared-use path, with the rider only just managing to avoid crashing into the Peugeot car.

It happened on Dunyeats Road in Poole, Dorset, on Saturday afternoon and was filmed by road.cc reader Graham, who said it's not the first time he's had an incident on that path.

"I'm barely going 12 mph too," he added. " thought shared paths were meant to make cycling safer ... ?"

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...cyclist-278235

Bishop0151 replied to HoarseMann | 25 posts | 1 hour ago
2 likes

I would have thought that liability is quite straight forward in this instance.

Traffic turning right should be yielding to traffic proceeding straight ahead.

They should also be using good observations and looking through the turn they are making, rather than acquiring a target destination and making themselves blind to anything happening on the periphery. Especially when crossing a footpath, even if they were ignorant of it being a cycle path, they had to know it was a footpath.
Old October 26th 20, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 26/10/2020 11:26, Simon Mason wrote:
What a knobhead this driver is! QUOTE: Today's video in our Near Miss
of the Day series shows the moment a motorist turned across a cyclist
on a shared-use path, with the rider only just managing to avoid
crashing into the Peugeot car.

It happened on Dunyeats Road in Poole, Dorset, on Saturday afternoon
and was filmed by road.cc reader Graham, who said it's not the first
time he's had an incident on that path.

"I'm barely going 12 mph too," he added. " thought shared paths were
meant to make cycling safer ... ?"

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...cyclist-278235

According to Nugent the cyclist could see that the way was going to
blocked ahead so should have stopped to avoid stopping.

An awkward one when cycling on the "wrong" side of the road. Drivers
expect pedestrians to wait in such circumstances. And they wait because
they prefer to remain pain free rather than exercise their rights.

Bishop0151 replied to HoarseMann | 25 posts | 1 hour ago 2 likes

I would have thought that liability is quite straight forward in this
instance.

I expect the driver has had a fit of the vapours though.
Old October 26th 20, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

[...]

What about when it's a cyclist turning right across the path of an
oncoming car (eg, a BMW)?

Is that different?

They should also be using good observations and looking through the turn they are making, rather than acquiring a target destination and making themselves blind to anything happening on the periphery. Especially when crossing a footpath, even if they were ignorant of it being a cycle path, they had to know it was a footpath.

Subject to the bits about psychopaths and footpaths not necessarily
being of relevance in typical cases of failing to give way to oncoming
traffic, I couldn't agree more.
Old October 26th 20, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 26/10/2020 13:38, TMS320 wrote:
On 26/10/2020 11:26, Simon Mason wrote:
What a knobhead this driver is! QUOTE: Today's video in our Near Miss
of the Day series shows the moment a motorist turned across a cyclist
on a shared-use path, with the rider only just managing to avoid
crashing into the Peugeot car.

It happened on Dunyeats Road in Poole, Dorset, on Saturday afternoon
and was filmed by road.cc reader Graham, who said it's not the first
time he's had an incident on that path.

"I'm barely going 12 mph too," he added. " thought shared paths were
meant to make cycling safer ... ?"

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...cyclist-278235

According to Nugent the cyclist could see that the way was going to
blocked ahead so should have stopped to avoid stopping.

Au contraire. All road users should cede priority to those who have it
according to law.

That means not turning right across the path of oncoming traffic with
priority (subject to all C%U requirements being met, of course - for
instance, it can be difficult to see an an oncoming vehicle in the dark
if it hasn't got any lights).

Old October 26th 20, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 1:38:47 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

My commute had these layouts, so I kept on the main road.
Old October 26th 20, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 11:26:13 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
What a knobhead this driver is!
QUOTE:

Bungle_52 replied to Darkhairedlord | 56 posts | 20 min ago
1 like
QUOTE:

Cycle lanes are put there for people who are too nervous to ride on the roads. Once you are more confident in your cycling skills and your ability to anticipate dangerous situations use the roads as you have every right to do.. Get a camera and report every incident of motorists not respecting that right.

Having said that I'm not sure that having a cycle lane where you are cycling against the traffic with only a double yellow line to protect you would be very reassuring to a nervous cyclist.

ENDS

SPOT ON, BUNGLE.
Old October 27th 20, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Monday, 26 October 2020 at 14:12:10 UTC, JNugent wrote:
[...]

And yet you still maintain trains should have to stop at level crossings until the driver operates a 'manual device'.