London cyclist mows down an MP

Old June 19th 14, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default London cyclist mows down an MP

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046
Old June 19th 14, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 19/06/2014 17:51, Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

Its not clear from this report why the MP was indignant.

Old June 19th 14, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 19/06/2014 17:51, Mrcheerful wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

To the extent that people are run down by cyclists every day, I'm sort
of glad that it was an MP on this occasion.

Perhaps now...
Old June 19th 14, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

I've made a comment in the articles comment section.

Old June 19th 14, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 19/06/2014 18:03, Nick wrote:
On 19/06/2014 17:51, Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

Its not clear from this report why the MP was indignant.

Because vehicles, including bicycles need to take care to avoid running
down people or crashing into things. It is a basic tenet of road use.
Old June 19th 14, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:51:41 +0100, Mrcheerful
wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

In an nutshell, as he said: "but so many I see will do anything to prevent
having to stop."

Yep - red traffic lights - pedestrians on crossings - how dare they impede the
progress of a cyclist.

Old June 19th 14, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 19/06/2014 18:53, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 19/06/2014 18:03, Nick wrote:
On 19/06/2014 17:51, Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

Its not clear from this report why the MP was indignant.

Because vehicles, including bicycles need to take care to avoid running
down people or crashing into things. It is a basic tenet of road use.

Yes this is true and that duty of care should be scaled on the speed and
amount of damage the vehicle will cause if it does crash into something.

However it sounds very much like our MP stepped out into traffic from
behind a car without looking. So whilst our cyclist may bear some
culpability. I suspect our MP was crossing the road, close to but not at
a traffic light, very much in the spirit of "doing anything to prevent
having to stop". So one wonders if we are dealing with a hypocrite.
Old June 19th 14, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 19/06/2014 18:03, Nick wrote:
On 19/06/2014 17:51, Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

Its not clear from this report why the MP was indignant.

Because vehicles, including bicycles need to take care to avoid running
down people or crashing into things. It is a basic tenet of road use.

Yes this is true and that duty of care should be scaled on the speed and
amount of damage the vehicle will cause if it does crash into something.

However it sounds very much like our MP stepped out into traffic from
behind a car without looking. So whilst our cyclist may bear some
culpability. I suspect our MP was crossing the road, close to but not at
a traffic light, very much in the spirit of "doing anything to prevent
having to stop". So one wonders if we are dealing with a hypocrite.

Have you tried to walk around in London recently? It is completely
ridiculous, there is a very high likelihood that on any normal bit of
pedestrian action you will encounter an out of control cyclist, no
matter whether you are on a pavement, a one way street or a pedestrian
crossing or a light controlled junction.
Old June 19th 14, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 19/06/2014 18:03, Nick wrote:
On 19/06/2014 17:51, Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

Its not clear from this report why the MP was indignant.

Because vehicles, including bicycles need to take care to avoid running
down people or crashing into things. It is a basic tenet of road use.

Yes this is true and that duty of care should be scaled on the speed and
amount of damage the vehicle will cause if it does crash into something.

Bicycles can and do kill and maim people, they should operate under the
same set of laws as all other road vehicles.

Old June 19th 14, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 19/06/2014 19:34, Mrcheerful wrote:

Yes this is true and that duty of care should be scaled on the speed and
amount of damage the vehicle will cause if it does crash into something.

However it sounds very much like our MP stepped out into traffic from
behind a car without looking. So whilst our cyclist may bear some
culpability. I suspect our MP was crossing the road, close to but not at
a traffic light, very much in the spirit of "doing anything to prevent
having to stop". So one wonders if we are dealing with a hypocrite.

Have you tried to walk around in London recently? It is completely
ridiculous, there is a very high likelihood that on any normal bit of
pedestrian action you will encounter an out of control cyclist, no
matter whether you are on a pavement, a one way street or a pedestrian
crossing or a light controlled junction.

I do work in London. I don't recognize your description. There is some
mingling but it doesn't seem to be that problematic.

I can't see any indication that the cyclist was breaking any rules in
this instance.