The problem with Swansea prom and the cyclists and pedestrians wholove it but don't always get along

Old June 15th 21, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default The problem with Swansea prom and the cyclists and pedestrians wholove it but don't always get along

On a sunny day it feels like pretty much everyone in Swansea has gone for a walk or cycle along the scenic Swansea Promenade.

The glorious path which stretches from one end of Swansea Bay to the other is packed with people enjoying the views, cafes and restaurants.

But not all is calm on the seafront. Often, you'll hear the shout of a cyclist to a pedestrian who has strayed into their path, or the mutter of a pedestrian about how 'cyclists go far too fast along here'.

The path along the promenade is split into two lanes, which are half pedestrian and half cycleway. Signs are painted along the path reminding walkers and cyclists of the rules, but are the signs enough?

Recently, Swansea Council put up a Facebook post asking cyclists to look out for others and share with care when cycling along the promenade. Some cyclists were not happy with this, however, and a number of comments on the post brought up the issue of pedestrians, small children and dogs crossing over into the cycle path.

One man said: ”Good advice - but why is this just aimed at cyclists? I do see some cyclists going too fast - but as a cyclist I see far more people strolling about between the paths without looking.
The path is marked up - half for pedestrians and half for cyclists (Image: Mark Lewis)
But not everyone stays on the correct side (Image: Mark Lewis)
Everyone is asked to 'share with care' (Image: Mark Lewis)

Another added “The biggest problem here is walkers straddling all over the path and not looking, along with the extra long dog leads. Nuisance and dangerous.”

Many walkers would disagree and say that cyclists go too fast and don’t use bells to warn of their approach, which they claim can be very dangerous. The path along the promenade is clearly very narrow in some areas and some would argue that it can’t be helped that people need to stray into the cycling lane, especially when walking in large groups and with family, and with the current rules on social distancing which mean people must keep a two metre distance.

Swansea Council has asked those using the path to ‘share with care’, asking all users to keep to the left when there are no markings to say otherwise, and if there are markings, to stay on the appropriate side, and to use shared paths safely and be considerate to other users.

Swansea Council Cabinet member, Mark Thomas, said: “Many thousands of people use our growing network of excellent, accessible shared paths sensibly, courteously and safely every week. All users of these paths should be considerate towards others. We ask that all who use them share with care – keep an eye out for one another.

“The paths should be used in line with the Highway Code ; this instructs cyclists to keep to the side intended for cyclists, to take care when passing pedestrians and to be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. We issue regular reminders to those who use our shared paths - including cyclists, pedestrians, dog walkers, families and others – to be considerate and vigilant. There are ‘share with care’ signs painted prominently on the paths and we have a web page that fully explains the approach – www.swansea.gov.uk/sharewithcare .”

We headed to the prom to listen to what some of the people - cyclists and pedestrians - using the promenade one sunny day had to say about the situation.
Marianne Williams (Image: Media Wales)

Marianne Williams, 47, from Corntown, Wales, enjoys cycling along the promenade with her family. She said that, as a cyclist, you had to be alert when cycling along the path.

Marianne said: “I think it’s a really good idea having both lanes for walking and cycling but you can see that people do cross over. I think the council could put more painted signs on the floor more frequently and closer together along the promenade. I do feel safe cycling but you do have to be alert. There are a lot of families here which is completely understandable but you just have to be alert, especially when there's dogs and little children.

“We are aware and we just slow down accordingly. We don't go speeding along here. It’s meant to be just a nice, leisurely ride.”
Denzil Davies (Image: Media Wales)

Denzil Davies, 70, who lives in Swansea Marina, enjoys both cycling and walking along the promenade. He said professional cyclists were the main issue and could be dangerous.

Denzil said: ''Speaking as a cyclist and a walker living locally it can be a problem particularly when it’s busy like a bank holiday or nice weather there are more people out walking and cycling. You do get a lot of criticism of cyclists which I don't think is fair because your real culprits aren’t your ordinary people out on a bike or even people on an electric bike. They seem to be the professional cyclists on racing bikes which should really be on the road.

“If someone is cycling fifteen miles per hour next to pedestrians it’s not going to be a good result. I think the council could introduce a speed limit of 12mph for cyclists which could help. I’m not trying to shift blame but it is the racing bikes that are going hell for leather down here. It’s not a velodrome down here. It’s a leisure cycling path with a lot of pedestrians with dogs, prams and toddlers.”
Bob and Silvia Tidy (Image: Media Wales)

Bob and Silvia Tidy from Portugal have been living in Mumbles for a year and enjoy taking a stroll along the seafront. They said it was people's own common sense to be careful when cycling or walking along the path.

Bob said: "We feel safe when walking down here because we know the bikes are there. It’s simple, there's a white line that is clearly marked. If you step on the wrong side of it then it’s your own fault. You will get groups of very serious cyclists that seem to think that it is their own private racing track. I personally think a few more signs wouldn't really achieve anything. It would be spending money that wouldn't be very effective.”

Silvia added: "Most of the time people are civilised. I’ve never seen anyone having problems or arguing. I think people are using common sense..”
Professor Rhys Williams (Image: Media Wales)

Professor Rhys Williams, 72, from Swansea, regularly cycles along the promenade and doesn't think enough people use bells to warn of their approach.

He said: ”I think it’s quite rare for cyclists to have a bell on their bikes these days. I’m 72 and when cyclists come whizzing up behind me and give me no warning it can be very disconcerting and throw me off balance a little bit. I think everyone needs to look out for everyone else. I tend to go quite slowly down here because I know that children might run out and elderly people might be a bit disconcerted if I whiz past them.

“I think it’s safe if people take care. There's not much of an alternative really. It’s nice to see everyone walking and cycling and it would be a shame if it was just one or the other.”

Gill Mason, from Oxfordshire, England, enjoys both walking and cycling around Swansea with her family.

Gill said: “People do wander out, especially during Covid because if you're walking and you have people coming in the opposite direction you do need to walk around to try and keep a safe distance. People do need to be a bit more mindful if they are walking into the cycle lane.

“We cycled on Sunday and it was beautiful weather and everybody was out and it was a bit of a nightmare in terms of trying to avoid people. We cycled to SA1 and there were some real clutch points avoiding small children and dogs on leads that stray over. As a walker I am aware that you get a bit distracted and you forget to check. In those circumstances I don't mind if cyclists are pinging to watch out. “

Georgia Evans and Brooke Lowe from Swansea leisurely cycle along the promenade. They didn't think adding more signs would change anything.

Georgia said: ”Usually there are a lot of people on the cycling path. I think it does need to be a bit bigger on the walking path more than the cycling path as the cycling path is much bigger. We love cycling down here and enjoying ourselves. It’s lovely.”

Brooke added: ”It is the Mumbles at the end of the day. There are going to be a lot of people. If you do want to go somewhere for a proper cycle then go somewhere where there's a road. I don’t think people really care about the signs to be honest. They don't really do much.”

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...rians-20795096