Senior Olympics

Old August 20th 04, 05:46 AM
Tom Sherman

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

The Norse were trapped in their own culture just as all people are
everywhere similarly trapped. I am really getting weary of talking to an
idiot like you. Here it is once again for your thick skull:

1) The Norse were indeed trapped in an inferior culture.
2) The Inuit were not trapped.
Today there are still Inuit on Greenland, but the Norse
colony
died out.
Pretty simple Ed. Now, is it true you aren't really a naked
ape, but
actually are descendent from the Norse?

The g.d. Eskimos were savages and lived and died like savages. The Norse
were a thousand times superior to the Eskimo in every way except in how to
survive in the extreme cold of the Arctic.

Superior in every way, except they died eh?...

Did they die, or did they pack up and leave after the climate
changed? Any group who could sail from Northern Europe to
Greenland would be capable of sailing back.

And anyone who can do a bit of research, *should* do it.

No trace was found of them. But at least some searchers found
evidence that they had been there only a very short time before
they arrived to search.

And don't you think that if they had sailed back to Europe
somebody in Europe would have taken notice?

The fact is, they "died out". The _colony_ expired. Where the
individuals went we don't know, nor is that pertinent to the
question of whether their culture was advanced enough to either
cope with the environment or adapt to it. Clearly it wasn't.

Or the Norse in Greenland decided that a different environment would
offer a better quality of life [1], so they left even though they were
able to survive in Greenland. This conjecture is just as valid as the
Mr. Davidson’s that they were unable to survive is.

Mr. Davidson has obviously fallen in love with the culture and land of
the North Slope, so he is hardly an objective observer.

[1] As Mr. Dolan would say, “The Norse wanted to farm and pasture
animals, not hunt the g.d. whale.” [2]
[2] This is one of the more humorous things Mr. Dolan has posted to
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent.

--
Tom Sherman – Curmudgeon

Old August 20th 04, 06:58 AM
Robert L. Bass

See

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:...r=&ie=UTF-8&c2
coff=1&safe=off&selm=87n00xzbvq.fld%40barrow.com.

That post doesn't seem to claim that the gentleman is not using his real
name. As I understood it he was saying that local people (not USENET
denizens) don't know his first name. When he said that they recognize him
by "another mechanism" I took that to mean some physical trait or perhaps
something unusual about his clothing.

Old August 20th 04, 08:35 AM
Floyd L. Davidson

Tom Sherman wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

You could easily conclude, as everyone else has, that you are
confused. Again.

I could look up the post where you stated that you weren't using your real
name, but that would take a few minutes to do and I have resolved from the

Liar. There is no such post. You are merely confused.

See
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl661155739d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&selm=87n00xzbvq.fld%40barrow.c om.
&
It would appear that Floyd L. Davidson is using his real name on
Usenet, but not in everyday life - the reverse of the usual
practice.

Are you really that shielded from real life?

Any way you want to try slicing it Tom, what you said merely
indicated you didn't choose to read the article in a reasonable
way and then you tried very hard to imply that it supported what
Ed Dolan said. Not too smart...

Most people use either their first or middle name in real
life. Maybe things are different in the North Slope, but this is
almost universal practice in the English speaking world. [1]

That isn't true, because it is not nearly a universal practice.
Many people even sign their name with a notation such as

Tom "Bubba" Sherman

To indicate that they virtually always go by something other
than their given name.

Moreover, I live in a world where English is often a second
language. Eskimo speakers (not to mention Korean, Spanish and
several other of the languages commonly spoken in Barrow) simply
can't pronounce my name. And it happens that we are *not* talking
about the small world that you know, but only about the town where
I live.

A cursory examination of any representative example of Usenet
posts will reveal that many people post under something other
than their legal name.

So? The point was what do people in Barrow do.

Lots of people have a variety of nicknames. In Eskimo
communities it is almost universal. When my children

You seem to have missed the fact pointed to above, that Barrow
is indeed an Eskimo community. That would be clearly out of
your range.

Regardless, you've more or less pegged yourself by now as being
about one step shy of as goofy as Ed Dolan!

Do not throw out accusations without being willing to defend them.

What's to defend? It is practically stipulated by the nonsense
you posted. I'm not accusing you, I'm merely describing
reality.

Understand that Mr. Dolan becomes unpleasant to get a reaction

Defending him gives you an excuse to post nonsense?

from people. If I am unpleasant, it is because I am saying
something that others do not want to hear. To quote Mr. Dolan,

Lets see, what you say is obnoxious because people don't want to
hear obnoxious statements... Damned man, I think you are on to
something significant there. I'm sure 40 or more Usenet fools
somewhere will want to put that quote in their sigs.

Tom Sherman, on the other hand, is a wolf in
sheep's clothing." - Skip

You realize that in the wild, most wolves are eaten by other
wolves...

--
FloydL. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 20th 04, 08:40 AM
Floyd L. Davidson

Tom Sherman wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Or the Norse in Greenland decided that a different environment
would offer a better quality of life [1], so they left even
though they were able to survive in Greenland. This conjecture
is just as valid as the Mr. Davidson's that they were unable to
survive is.

Mr. Davidson has obviously fallen in love with the culture and
land of the North Slope, so he is hardly an objective observer.

[1] As Mr. Dolan would say, "The Norse wanted to farm and
pasture animals, not hunt the g.d. whale." [2]
[2] This is one of the more humorous things Mr. Dolan has posted
to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent.

And clearly that is true.

Of course, it was a rather stupid move on their part, which
virtually all historians, archaeologists, and everyone else
interested in facts has decided was the cause for them to become
extinct.

And indeed Mr. Dolan's insistence that people whose culture
leads them to extinction are vastly superior to those who
survive, is indeed about as humorous as he gets.

You are funny in just the same way. So is my pet rock.

Old August 20th 04, 08:53 AM
Floyd L. Davidson

"Robert L. Bass" wrote:
See

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:...r=&ie=UTF-8&c2
coff=1&safe=off&selm=87n00xzbvq.fld%40barrow.com .

That post doesn't seem to claim that the gentleman is not using his real
name. As I understood it he was saying that local people (not USENET
denizens) don't know his first name. When he said that they recognize him
by "another mechanism" I took that to mean some physical trait or perhaps
something unusual about his clothing.

Good take! Actually, few people that are not native English
speakers can pronounce "Floyd" anywhere near close. Koreans
come the closest, and some of them use a word somewhat close
(which *I* can't pronounce!). Eskimos almost won't even try
to say my name.

You've got the right idea, just that it isn't my personal
physical traits or my clothing (both are fairly similar to
everyone else here, so nothing stands out much) that sets me
apart.

But indeed it is a "physical trait" in the eyes of some.
Others see it as a personal relationship, as they know my
business partner significantly better than they know me.

I guess the mechanism is okay to talk about, as long as I leave
out the specifics... Most people relate me with the company
logo on the door of my truck. It changed a few years ago,
and some folks still reference that name as opposed to the
current one. Kinda like being called the "Maytag Man"... :-)

Old August 20th 04, 03:42 PM
Edward Dolan

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message
"Robert L. Bass" wrote:
See

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:...lr=&ie=UTF-8&c

2
coff=1&safe=off&selm=87n00xzbvq.fld%40barrow.com .

That post doesn't seem to claim that the gentleman is not using his real
name. As I understood it he was saying that local people (not USENET
denizens) don't know his first name. When he said that they recognize

him
by "another mechanism" I took that to mean some physical trait or perhaps
something unusual about his clothing.

Good take! Actually, few people that are not native English
speakers can pronounce "Floyd" anywhere near close. Koreans
come the closest, and some of them use a word somewhat close
(which *I* can't pronounce!). Eskimos almost won't even try
to say my name.

Floyd the Eskimo is about as stupid as it is possible for a human being to
get. I assure him that everyone there in that miserable Eskimo town
otherwise known as Barrow knows full well his real name. But the main thing
they know about him is that he is a White Man jackass pretending to be an
Eskimo. They are laughing at him every inch of the way and hold him in
nothing but contempt - as I do. If he is not a Mongoloid he is not even
close to being an Eskimo. Those Koreans he dines with their in far off
Barrow have more in common with the Eskimo than he does. He is completely
deluded and a crackpot. Christ, why do I end up with all the idiots here on
ARBR?

You've got the right idea, just that it isn't my personal
physical traits or my clothing (both are fairly similar to
everyone else here, so nothing stands out much) that sets me
apart.

Eskimo Floyd now no doubt thinks like how the muddled Eskimo thinks and his
writing is as inscrutable as his way of living. I'll be damned if I am going
to spend any amount of time or effort trying to decipher this idiot's
thinking and writing. I leave him to his g.d. Eskimos.

But indeed it is a "physical trait" in the eyes of some.
Others see it as a personal relationship, as they know my
business partner significantly better than they know me.

Anyone know, besides Bass, what this idiot is talking about? Physical trait?
Mechanism? Screw this moron!

I guess the mechanism is okay to talk about, as long as I leave
out the specifics... Most people relate me with the company
logo on the door of my truck. It changed a few years ago,
and some folks still reference that name as opposed to the
current one. Kinda like being called the "Maytag Man"... :-)

They call you the Eskimo Man who is really a White Man and is known far and
wide there in miserable Barrow as a traitor to his own people and to Western
Civilization. They also think you are crazy as loon to be living with them
when you could be living with your own kind. Why the hell don't you post to
this group in the Eskimo language and see if you get any responses, you g.d.
idiot!

By the way, FYF!

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 20th 04, 04:03 PM
Edward Dolan

Tom Sherman wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

You could easily conclude, as everyone else has, that you are
confused. Again.

I could look up the post where you stated that you weren't using your

real
name, but that would take a few minutes to do and I have resolved from

the
Liar. There is no such post. You are merely confused.

See

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:...lr=&ie=UTF-8&c

2coff=1&safe=off&selm=87n00xzbvq.fld%40barrow.com .
&
It would appear that Floyd L. Davidson is using his real name on
Usenet, but not in everyday life - the reverse of the usual
practice.

Are you really that shielded from real life?

Lots of people have a variety of nicknames. In Eskimo
communities it is almost universal. When my children
were little virtually nobody called me by my name, but always
reference me as "....'s daddy", using the name of one of my
children. The number of nicknames in use increases with closer
associates, so within a family a person might have several, with
close friends using only some of them, and acquaintances using only
one or two, while strangers would usually hear only the first name
and not the last name. Last names are reserved for things like
government forms... ;-)

For everyone's entertainment, here is what the above referenced
message says in its entirety,

Most people in town wouldn't know who "Floyd" is. Virtually
everyone in town recognizes me by another mechanism that I'm not
going to describe on Usenet, and very few actually know my first
name.

"very few actually know my first name" would appear to the
average person who can read at the 5th grade level to be saying
that my first name is indeed "Floyd". It also clearly indicates
that a few people actually do know my first name (and in fact,
even fewer know my last name, because we really aren't very
formal here).

You nothing but a deluded fool. Everyone there knows your full name and who
and what you are. Just how stupid do you think the Eskimos are, anyway?

Actually, I'm known here by three different nicknames. As I
said, I'm not going to describe the exact mechanism for the
selection of these nicknames, but I'll tell you that people who
figured out who I was more than five years ago call me by one
name, people who've recognized who I am in the past 5 years or
so mostly use a different name, and most Koreans and children
call me by even another name (which they relate to something
with the Korean community here in Barrow, even though the actual
word used is Spanish).

Are you confused enough now Tom?

The only fool that is confused about things are you. I have never in my life
encountered such an idiot as you. You are in a class by yourself. I wonder,
were you born this stupid or did you acquire this amount of stupidity from
living with the Eskimo. I think the cold of the Arctic has most likely
frozen any brains you were ever born with.

I assure you that everyone there in Barrow knows your real name and who and
what you are. But you are a nut case pure and simple. Do they not have
asylums in Barrow for cases such as yourself?

Beth, if you are still following any of this, I warn you do not go anywhere
near this Floyd character. Trust me on this - you do not want to know him.
My best advice is do not even think about going to Barrow. Stay in Anchorage
where you are safe from nut cases like Floyd.

Regardless, you've more or less pegged yourself by now as being
about one step shy of as goofy as Ed Dolan!

The only goofball here is yourself. Anyone who wants to review our postings
can come to their own conclusion and do not need an insane person like you
for a guide.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 20th 04, 04:16 PM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
[...]

Floyd the Eskimo wrote:

Regardless, you've more or less pegged yourself by now as being
about one step shy of as goofy as Ed Dolan!

Do not throw out accusations without being willing to defend them.

Understand that Mr. Dolan becomes unpleasant to get a reaction from
people. If I am unpleasant, it is because I am saying something that
others do not want to hear. To quote Mr. Dolan, "As Skip [2] may have
told you once before, I am a lamb in wolf's clothing, whereas Mr.
Sherman is a wolf in sheep's clothing."

[1] And this is an English language Usenet news group.
[2] "Actually Ed is just a pussy cat kind of guy underneath all the
bluster. Tom Sherman, on the other hand, is a wolf in sheep's
clothing." - Skip

Floyd the Eskimo will not be able to figure any of this out if he lives to
be a thousand. But I do marvel at how well Mr. Sherman has got me figured
out. But Mr. Sherman can be as equally as unpleasant as I am because of his
confounded opinions. Even so, between the two of us, I think we add
something of interest and excitement to ARBR that would not otherwise be
here.

I do recall the time when Mr. Sherman left this group for some weeks and the
place went quickly to hell. If Floyd the Eskimo wants to leave us, he will
never be missed as everything he say borders on insanity.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 20th 04, 05:01 PM
Edward Dolan

Tom Sherman wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:...n&lr=&ie=UTF-8

&c2coff=1&safe=off&selm=87n00xzbvq.fld%40barrow.co m.
&
It would appear that Floyd L. Davidson is using his real name on
Usenet, but not in everyday life - the reverse of the usual
practice.
Are you really that shielded from real life?

Any way you want to try slicing it Tom, what you said merely
indicated you didn't choose to read the article in a reasonable
way and then you tried very hard to imply that it supported what
Ed Dolan said. Not too smart...

In order to read an article in a reasonable way, it has to be written in a
reasonable way. The fault is all yours for not being clear in what you are
saying. Only a complete nut case like you would use his real name on Usenet
and claim not to be using his real name in real life. Why the hell don't you
commit yourself to an asylum instead of bothering reasonable folks here on
ARBR?

Beth, stay the hell away from this nut case!

Most people use either their first or middle name in real
life. Maybe things are different in the North Slope, but this is
almost universal practice in the English speaking world. [1]

That isn't true, because it is not nearly a universal practice.
Many people even sign their name with a notation such as

Tom "Bubba" Sherman

To indicate that they virtually always go by something other
than their given name.

Like I said, a COMPLETE nut case!

Moreover, I live in a world where English is often a second
language. Eskimo speakers (not to mention Korean, Spanish and
several other of the languages commonly spoken in Barrow) simply
can't pronounce my name. And it happens that we are *not* talking
about the small world that you know, but only about the town where
I live.

They can come close enough and they know what your real name is - you nut
case! If I were you I would get the hell out of Barrow because those Eskimos
are most likely going to murder you sooner or later because you are one dumb
son of a bitch.

A cursory examination of any representative example of Usenet
posts will reveal that many people post under something other
than their legal name.

So? The point was what do people in Barrow do.

But you are posting to Usenet, not to the Eskimos there in Barrow. So why
not make yourself clear instead of constantly making everything a muddle. I
would not be calling anyone a liar because they can't figure out your
****ing mind.

Lots of people have a variety of nicknames. In Eskimo
communities it is almost universal. When my children

You seem to have missed the fact pointed to above, that Barrow
is indeed an Eskimo community. That would be clearly out of
your range.

How do you like it Tom when this g.d. moron breaks up your sentences? Mr.
Sherman is too much of a gentleman to tell it to you like you deserve, but I
am not, so here it is once again for your enlightenment:

FYF (Stands for **** You Floyd)

Regardless, you've more or less pegged yourself by now as being
about one step shy of as goofy as Ed Dolan!

Do not throw out accusations without being willing to defend them.

What's to defend? It is practically stipulated by the nonsense
you posted. I'm not accusing you, I'm merely describing
reality.

Here is Floyd once again defending the indefensible. I wonder if that is
maybe an Eskimo trait. It probably comes from several thousands of years
being history's greatest losers.

Understand that Mr. Dolan becomes unpleasant to get a reaction

Defending him gives you an excuse to post nonsense?

Another sentence interruption, so another ...

FYF (stands for **** You Floyd)

from people. If I am unpleasant, it is because I am saying
something that others do not want to hear. To quote Mr. Dolan,

Lets see, what you say is obnoxious because people don't want to
hear obnoxious statements... Damned man, I think you are on to
something significant there. I'm sure 40 or more Usenet fools
somewhere will want to put that quote in their sigs.

Yet another sentence interruption, so another ...

FYF

Floyd the Eskimo does not interrupt his own sentences for some reason.
Apparently he must think his sentences are of more import than anyone
else's. Well, that is the way of children and egomaniacs, they always think
the sun and rises and sets on them and nobody else. But I attribute his
stupidity to trying to live in the Far North. Basically he is only a wanna
be Eskimo and he cannot make the grade there. He belongs in the Lower 48
where there are lots of other White trash for him to associate with.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota