Speed cameras to be implemented and red light cameras to be removed

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 16th 13, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Speed cameras to be implemented and red light cameras to be removed

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:44:41 PM UTC-4, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

I happened to be browsing through some Ohio traffic laws. I found
that Ohio has a law that states that if a red light camera is
installed, the yellow light phase has to be exceed the normal
(standard) yellow time by one second. That seems fair to me.

That surely smells like a reaction to abuse, whether in Ohio or elsewhere.

Or alternately, purported abuse. Remember, we have one political
party enthusiastically working to require photo IDs and who knows what
else to reduce "voter fraud" - fraud which has been shown again and
again to be negligible, if not mythical.

See http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/316...ickets-for-you

Do you think that story was invented?

And I don't have a problem with a private firm makes some money by
enforcing traffic laws. We can't afford to station cops at every red
light, or have radar patrols on every road, so we now have near-zero
enforcement, with predictable results: people who think it's the
constitutional right to disobey the laws.

Private law enforcement is a *huge* conflict of interest.

Yet we have private security guards at banks.

Those guards are not allowed to confiscate stolen money from bank
patrons and add it to the bank coffers. And, really, I don't think that
private guards should have more privileges in protecting corporate
interests than private citizens do in protecting their own. But that's
one of those second amendment things.

If there have
to be speed cameras, they should be run by a government, and someone
should hold that government's feet to the fire to prevent
revenue-seeking rule changes.

OK, I'm fine with that.

I wonder how it's done in other countries? Perhaps part of our
problem is that this is the place where some in power feel that Free
Enterprise should solve every problem, and that government should be
small enough that one can "drown it in a bathtub."

Dude, try to stay on topic.