Bike crash insurance questions

Old September 15th 04, 02:44 PM
SuperSlinky

The Real Bev said...

NONONONONONONO! You owe them nothing! Would you buy the bike in its
present condition for $200? Of course not! You might give $20 just in
case SOME part of it might be reusable (maybe one of the cables?), but
even that's a stretch.

Sure, I'd buy it for $200. I already know somebody who wants to buy it
from me for twice what I paid for salvage.
Old September 20th 04, 08:49 PM
The Real Bev

SuperSlinky wrote:

The Real Bev said...

NONONONONONONO! You owe them nothing! Would you buy the bike in its
present condition for $200? Of course not! You might give $20 just in
case SOME part of it might be reusable (maybe one of the cables?), but
even that's a stretch.

Sure, I'd buy it for $200. I already know somebody who wants to buy it
from me for twice what I paid for salvage.

sigh Have you ever thought of getting a T-shirt with a big red
"VICTIM" and a bullseye on the back?

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but the idea of spending $200 on a parts bike
just seems WRONG. Comes from doing all my bike shopping at yard sales,
I guess. We turned down a near-virgin Schwinn Paramount with its 197x
sales slip for $250...

--
Cheers, Bev
"I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the
Old September 24th 04, 03:42 AM
Bill Baka

On 23 Sep 2004 16:56:45 GMT, Hunrobe wrote:

Bill Baka

wrote:

I don't insure my bike, just my cars. If the bike gets stolen I am not
out
that much and if I get hit the drivers insurance will pay for it or that
driver will not be out on the road again anytime soon. What could you
possibly insure a bike for, liability? Would it be worth the premium?
Maybe if you could convince your insurance company that since you ride
your
bike everywhere you only use you car on weekends to go to church and
get groveries. Just maybe.
Bill Baka

I specified *theft* coverage, Bill. Bikes are partially covered against
theft
under many homeowner's/renter's insurance policies. Additional coverage
is
often available simply by adding a bike specific rider. Perhaps your
bikes are
inexpensive enough that they would fall below a deductible but not every
bike
is. It would cost about $4000.00 US to replace my road bike if it were
stolen.
The theft rider on my homeowner's policy costs me less than $100.00 US
per
year. Mine is a standard rider that covers tools, jewelry, and furs up to
$1000.00 US and bikes up to actual replacement cost so for me the
insurance
makes sense. YMMV.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

I never leave my bike in a position to be stolen, even taking it in stores
with me.
Not that it is an expensive bike, but I have a lot of work and special
parts on it.
I would be happy just to get a reduction in my auto insurance since I only
drive
maybe 15 miles in 2 weeks. $4000.00 on a bike? For that difference I would
buy a
boat and take it with my car to someplace I could row it while my wife
fished.
She would be happy and I would get my upper body workout like I used to
when I
had a lake for a back yard. I used to be all muscle on top,
now I am just the opposite, fit but way different proportions.
I really need to dig out my weights and start using them.
Bill Baka

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/