Bike paths in the news.

Old October 23rd 05, 07:01 PM

Default Bike paths in the news.

wrote:

You're talking out your ass about paths you've
never seen. These particular MUPs
function very well for transportational cyclists.

I'm trying to talk about MUPs in general, as they are usually promoted
and usually implemented.

I don't doubt that there are _some_ MUPs - a small percentage of MUP
miles - that are useful for transportation, and worth constructing on
that basis.

By the same token, you should not pretend that _most_ of them are not,
and function mostly as parks.

Likewise, you should not pretend that the complaints in the article
referenced by the OP are imaginary.

- Frank Krygowski

Old October 23rd 05, 08:44 PM

You're talking out your ass about paths you've
never seen. These particular MUPs
function very well for transportational cyclists.

I'm trying to talk about MUPs in general, as they are usually promoted
and usually implemented.

Yes, and then you make blanket statements that happen
to be false. You should stick to speaking about the
MUPs that you actually have first-hand knowledge of,
and stop trying to draw generalizations from them.
It's obvious that many of your generalizations are
directly contradicted by the first-hand experience
of others.

I don't doubt that there are _some_ MUPs - a small percentage of MUP
miles - that are useful for transportation, and worth constructing on
that basis.

Not a small percentage around here.

By the same token, you should not pretend that _most_ of them are not,
and function mostly as parks.

That may be true. I don't know. But around here, it's
not true. That much I know. Even the MUPs that are
constructed as 'linear parks' turn out to be useful
transportation facilities, by virtue of the fact that
they are smooth, fast, well-maintained, and require
little if any stopping.

Likewise, you should not pretend that the complaints in the article
referenced by the OP are imaginary.

With respect to the WSJ, which seems to have
sharp reporting overall, the article is a little
misleading. They use Denver as a centerpiece,
likely because we had one of the few MUP
fatalities a while back, and it makes for a
dramatic lead. This is misleading for two
reasons. First, it misrepresents the danger of
riding MUPs by starting with the fatality and
failing to mention that fatalities on fully-
separated paths are, how you say? 'vanishingly
rare'. Exceedingly rare even compared to fatalities
on the road, which you have always said are
'vanishingly rare.' I know you really hate it
when anybody misrepresents the danger of cycling,
so this must have really made you steam, correct?
Second, it makes it sound like the south metro
Denver MUPs are congested. They are not. They
tend to be, as I said, wide open and fast, at
least compared to some other MUPs I have been
on (Boulder, or even C. Creek downtown at lunch
hour). That wide-open quality is actually what
led to the fatality. You've got guys out there
training for time trials and such, because they
can. The real problem there is not congestion or
excessive speed but people not watching where
they're going. Also, the article mentions a
proposed speed limit. As far as I knew, there
already was a posted speed limit of 15 mph.
It is widely ignored.

Yes, some MUPs are so popular that congestion can be
a problem. The fact that they are attractive to all
different kinds of users--commuters, fitness riders,
toodlers, joggers, walkers, hobos--presents its own
'problem.' Really this is just a case of the path
working too well for its own good. Population
density is the actual 'problem'--it's called
lots of people living together in the same area.
In almost all cases the solution to these congestion
problems is just a little compromise and common
sense, so the fact that they are not always solved
should not surprise anyone either. In the future,
we can expect any and all congestion-related problems
to continue and worsen, whether it be on the street,
the path, the highways, or the hallways. Until the
forecasted 'Peak Oil'-related die-off, anyway. What
I am trying to say is that the fact that a path may
become congested is not a very good argument against
its usefulness as a transportation facility.

If you're looking for bad paths and problems
on good paths, you'll find them. If you're looking
for good stuff, you'll find a lot of that too.
What we have here is a situation that demands we
set our dearly-held biases aside and soberly pick
the good stuff out from the bad stuff. It's
all about the specifics.

Robert

Old October 23rd 05, 08:57 PM
The Wogster

Matt O'Toole wrote:
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 09:01:13 -0400, The Wogster wrote:

If you look at areas that are pre-car, density is higher, lots of 3
story townhomes, and 3-4 storey apartment buildings, roads are narrow,
and areas are fairly small, often it's designed like an independant
village, in that it's common to have a everything mixed together, and
there are people in some of these areas, that live, work, shop, attend
church all within a 10 block area. Of course walking or cycling within
such a neighbourhood is quite easy. A neighbourhood could have a subway
station in it's core, to connect neighbourhoods together. So if you
need to live in one, and work in another, it's easy to do.

But that's like living in a city, and everyone knows cities are full of
problems, especially crime. People living so close together just doesn't
work. Neighbors don't get along when you squeeze them all together like
that. And where do you expect kids to play -- in the street? With all
the cars and strangers coming by? Kids need yards. Besides, why would
anyone ride a subway when they could afford a car?

Crime happens, often is a result, when you combine very high density,
with very low incomes, the density level I have mentioned is common in
older sections of North American cities, and is common in cities in
Europe. Often areas where there is little crime.

Actually often a block designed with say 3 story town-homes ends up with
a central courtyard, which gives children a place to play together, and
socialize, without needing to be in the street, this is even better when
the only access to the court yard is to go through one of the houses.
Who needs a car when it's a 10 minute walk to the market, 7 minutes to
church, and a 10 minute subway ride to work. A subway offered free of
charge, with less then 3 minutes between trains would mean that it would
be faster and more economical to take the subway then to own, insure,
fuel and maintain a car.

I would make the assumption, that to convert an existing city to car
free, it would be done in sections, and that those sections would draw
people to car free areas, who don't really want a car, even if they can
afford it.

As for being a liberal, yeah to some degree I guess, would make me an
oxymoron in the US though, a liberal Christian....

Old October 23rd 05, 09:11 PM
Roger Zoul

The Wogster wrote:
: As for being a liberal, yeah to some degree I guess, would make me an
: oxymoron in the US though, a liberal Christian....

Not really. There are plenty of liberal Christians....you just have to pick
the right topics.

Old October 23rd 05, 10:49 PM
tcmedara

"The Wogster" wrote in message

A subway offered free of charge, with less then 3 minutes between trains
would mean that it would be faster and more economical to take the subway
then to own, insure, fuel and maintain a car.

Great image, and one many of us would love to embrace. The problem is
reality. Making a subway "fee of charge" doesn't mean it doesn't cost
anything, it just means someone other than the user pays for it. Most
public transportation is heaviliy subsidized already, I assume you see a
100% subsidy as preferable. Granted auto transportation is subsidized as
well, but much if the subsidy comes from gas taxes themselves. We all pay
for roads, but drivers bear the brunt of the cost.

I don't have the figures in front of me, but I do recall reading extensively
in a few economics courses about the auto based economy vs one that moves
people on public transportation. The bottom line was that the "best" system
depends on what the community valued most. In a non-centrally controlled
economy, individuals make their own choices. Seems to me that most have
opted for the independence and freedom of the car.

I personally am trying to minimize use of my car and maximize time on the
bike, both commuting, shopping, or whatever. But that's a personal choice,
not a financial one.

Tom

Old October 24th 05, 01:04 AM
The Wogster

tcmedara wrote:
"The Wogster" wrote in message

A subway offered free of charge, with less then 3 minutes between trains
would mean that it would be faster and more economical to take the subway
then to own, insure, fuel and maintain a car.

Great image, and one many of us would love to embrace. The problem is
reality. Making a subway "fee of charge" doesn't mean it doesn't cost
anything, it just means someone other than the user pays for it. Most
public transportation is heaviliy subsidized already, I assume you see a
100% subsidy as preferable. Granted auto transportation is subsidized as
well, but much if the subsidy comes from gas taxes themselves. We all pay
for roads, but drivers bear the brunt of the cost.

No, it means that the city pays for it out of taxes, just as they pay
most road expansion and maintenance, as well. Here, the Feds and
Province collect the gasoline taxes, the cities pay most road
maintenance. The cities gets some money through transfer payments, but
road maintenance including plowing is still a significant cost. The
Province here is putting some gas tax money into transit, and Toronto's
share allows the city to replace some old noisy polluting buses, with
new, quieter and less polluting models. There are other costs
associated with large car based cities, for example medical costs from
pollution and sedentary life styles some of which is paid for by
drivers, but most through government or employer insurance. There is
the time cost of lost productivity while people who drive for work, sit
in traffic on the clock. Then there is lost land productivity when farm
land is used up with urban sprawl, and for large roads and highways.

A subway is often a good way to do it, because rail is more efficient,
and less polluting, and takes up less land, in that you can build right
over it.

Old October 24th 05, 01:31 AM
tcmedara

tcmedara wrote:
[...]

Again, what's economical is based on what is valued, and everything has
costs. The current relative wealth of both the US and Canada compared to
the rest of the world is an large part do to the mobility and infrastructure
surrounding the privately owned automobile. You rightly point out that
there are many other indirect and non-financial costs associated with this
system. However, you cannot rule out the tremendous economic activity that
is enable by the privately owned automobile. Perhaps someone can provide
some statistics or studies, but I would hypothosize that the automobile has
generated more economic wealth in both the US and Canada then it has cost in
medical costs and lost productivity due to traffic jams or alternate land
use. It strikes me that robust metro systems tend to supplement auto based
transportation networks in high-density urban areas. People make an
economic decision that the expense and inconvience of public tranportation
outweigh the expense and stress of driving. That normally doesn't happen
unless the traffic system is maxed out. Outside of a major urban area,
that's gonna be hard to come by.

Cities, provinces, and governments don't pay for anything. It is taxpayers
that pay for things. Government is the collection agent and executor of the
funds, but that's all topic for another day. My original point, which I'm
sure you'll agree with, is that "free" metro fare doesn't mean "no cost."
It just means that someone else picks up the direct cost. How or if that
happens is a political decision. Many people can rightly maintain many
different views on what's valuable and what should be subsidized.

Personally I'm of the opinion that, to the maximum extent possible, those
those who benefit from something should bear the brunt of the direct costs.
I bike because I like it and it saves on gas money. I don't pretend it's
good for everyone, though I'll recommend it to all.

Tom

Old October 24th 05, 01:53 AM
Matt O'Toole

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 15:57:59 -0400, The Wogster wrote:

Matt O'Toole wrote:
[...]

Actually, smaller towns generally have more crime per capita than large
cities. Rural areas can be pretty bad too. It's hard to run a meth lab
with neighbors around!

Actually often a block designed with say 3 story town-homes ends up with
a central courtyard, which gives children a place to play together, and
socialize, without needing to be in the street, this is even better when
the only access to the court yard is to go through one of the houses.
Who needs a car when it's a 10 minute walk to the market, 7 minutes to
church, and a 10 minute subway ride to work. A subway offered free of
charge, with less then 3 minutes between trains would mean that it would
be faster and more economical to take the subway then to own, insure,
fuel and maintain a car.

I would make the assumption, that to convert an existing city to car
free, it would be done in sections, and that those sections would draw
people to car free areas, who don't really want a car, even if they can
afford it.

Like Santa Monica, arguably the nicest part of Los Angeles? (Which vies
for the absolute lowest crime rate in the US, despite being as urban as it
gets.)

I hope you didn't think my post was serious! Anyone who reads my stuff
here or listens to me anywhere else would have gotten a clue!

BTW, I have not owned a car for almost 4 years.

As for being a liberal, yeah to

some degree I guess, would make me an
oxymoron in the US though, a liberal Christian....

According to my Catholic school upbringing, Christ was the ultimate liberal.

Matt O.
Old October 24th 05, 02:29 AM
The Wogster

tcmedara wrote:

[...]

Canada and the US benefitted, in the 20th century by having relatively
cheap labour, high protectionist tariffs and expensive international
shipping costs. Two major wars, which required high manufacturing
capacity, at little domestic cost, also helped to build capacity.
Shipping costs dropped, high tariffs were challenged, and labour costs
skyrocketed. However people wanted to consume more and more, which is
why Americans have the highest debt to GDP in the civilized world.
They also consume the most resources, and create the most pollution and
waste of any nation on earth.

Cities, provinces, and governments don't pay for anything. It is taxpayers
that pay for things. Government is the collection agent and executor of the
funds, but that's all topic for another day. My original point, which I'm
sure you'll agree with, is that "free" metro fare doesn't mean "no cost."
It just means that someone else picks up the direct cost. How or if that
happens is a political decision. Many people can rightly maintain many
different views on what's valuable and what should be subsidized.

You need to remember something, government is a company that is
contracted to run the city, province, state or nation, citizens are the
shareholders, and they are charged taxes in order to pay for the
services that the government is contracted to provide. The metro has a
cost no dispute there, however if everyone uses it, then it can be
cheaper if you don't need to print and sell tickets, sort tokens and
change, and print and distribute and account for transfers. You can
also save the costs of having fare collectors and automated fare
machines..... The cost of the metro becomes a line item on the cities
expense sheet, if it costs $900 million a year to provide it, for a city
of 2.5 million, that's $360 a person. Figuring the total cost of the
car, is considerably harder to calculate, because it's cut into so many
different pieces. Some borne by drivers, some borne by employers, some
by store and mall owners, some by the city, some by the province or
state and some by the Feds, although that is very little in Canada.

Personally I'm of the opinion that, to the maximum extent possible, those
those who benefit from something should bear the brunt of the direct costs.
I bike because I like it and it saves on gas money. I don't pretend it's
good for everyone, though I'll recommend it to all.

There is a point, where the majority of the population benefits, and
then it becomes cheaper to provide a service on a group level, then it
does to provide the same service on an individual basis.

I bike for exersize, and because I want to get into better shape, as I
get older. It also saves money on gas, and car repairs. Personally I
would rather live car free, and either walk, bike or take transit
everywhere, but the city isn't designed to work that way.....

Old October 24th 05, 02:39 AM
The Wogster

Matt O'Toole wrote:

[...]

What happens often, with crime stats is that say you have a village of
30 people, and a trailer gets stolen, your crime rate is now 3.3%. If a
trailer gets stolen in a city of 3 million it doesn't even register.
However in that same village, everyone knows everyone else, and what
they are doing at any given moment. If farmer John ran a meth lab in
his barn, old Mrs McFart at the other end of the village would probably
know about it......

[...]

My car is an old piece of junk, and I will likely be car free by the end
of the winter, it's actually getting cheaper to switch to transit then
to fix the car.....

As for being a liberal, yeah to

some degree I guess, would make me an

oxymoron in the US though, a liberal Christian....

According to my Catholic school upbringing, Christ was the ultimate liberal.

I would agree with you there......