Sanity check: Looking for info on building a 'bent trike

Old April 12th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Sanity check: Looking for info on building a 'bent trike

A friend has set me a challenge that has no schedule; she would like
to get back into cycling, but for a variety of reasons, is only
interested in doing so via a recumbent trike, and isn't thrilled with
the prices of the meager selection she has seen. She's also lbs-shy
for reasons that I won't go into. Ergo, I have decided to *consider*
the concept of building one from scratch or from bits and pieces. I
suspect that this would be a construction project that is a bit out of
my league, but before I get into grand plots and half-baked plans, I
thought it might be prudent to see what's out there in the way of
intelligence about the topic.

Pointers to resources and information appreciated.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old April 12th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Werehatrack wrote:
A friend has set me a challenge that has no schedule; she would like
to get back into cycling, but for a variety of reasons, is only
interested in doing so via a recumbent trike, and isn't thrilled with
the prices of the meager selection she has seen. She's also lbs-shy
for reasons that I won't go into. Ergo, I have decided to *consider*
the concept of building one from scratch or from bits and pieces. I
suspect that this would be a construction project that is a bit out of
my league, but before I get into grand plots and half-baked plans, I
thought it might be prudent to see what's out there in the way of
intelligence about the topic.

Pointers to resources and information appreciated.

Well there are certainly reason why you might want to build a bike from
recycled bike parts. And there are certainly resources out there to help
you.

First I might recommend http://www.bentrideronline.com they have a
message board and forum. They run a good website and lots of people
there have knowledge about recumbent bikes and trikes.

Second you might want to take a look at http://www.hpva.org they have a
good homebuilders area. With links to builders resources.

I have a page that has a lot of other resources listed on it:
http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/re...tbicycles.html

Hope some of that helps.

Ken
--
A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin
edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/
Old April 13th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Werehatrack wrote:
A friend has set me a challenge that has no schedule; she would like
to get back into cycling, but for a variety of reasons, is only
interested in doing so via a recumbent trike, and isn't thrilled with
the prices of the meager selection she has seen. She's also lbs-shy
for reasons that I won't go into. Ergo, I have decided to *consider*
the concept of building one from scratch or from bits and pieces. I
suspect that this would be a construction project that is a bit out of
my league, but before I get into grand plots and half-baked plans, I
thought it might be prudent to see what's out there in the way of
intelligence about the topic.

Pointers to resources and information appreciated.

Please take pictures! eg

Old April 13th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Werehatrack wrote:
A friend has set me a challenge that has no schedule; she would like
to get back into cycling, but for a variety of reasons, is only
interested in doing so via a recumbent trike, and isn't thrilled with
the prices of the meager selection she has seen. She's also lbs-shy
for reasons that I won't go into. Ergo, I have decided to *consider*
the concept of building one from scratch or from bits and pieces. I
suspect that this would be a construction project that is a bit out of
my league, but before I get into grand plots and half-baked plans, I
thought it might be prudent to see what's out there in the way of
intelligence about the topic.

Pointers to resources and information appreciated.
--

Greenspeed, the leaders of the recumbent trike world, sells plans:
http://www.greenspeed.com.au/plans.htm and the tough parts, such as

If Greenspeed had been around 25 years ago, I wouldn't have gone off on
my own half-baked plot:
http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/Gallery/index.html
and I wouldn't have to answer questions about those socks...

Jeff

Old April 13th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:51:14 -0400, "Ken C. M."
wrote:

Second you might want to take a look at http://www.hpva.org they have a
good homebuilders area. With links to builders resources.

ITYM www.ihpva.org instead of the hardwood plywood site... (Once you
gave me the hint, Google was prompt with the fix.)

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old April 13th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Werehatrack" schreef in bericht
A friend has set me a challenge that has no schedule; she would like
to get back into cycling, but for a variety of reasons, is only
interested in doing so via a recumbent trike, and isn't thrilled with
the prices of the meager selection she has seen. She's also lbs-shy
for reasons that I won't go into. Ergo, I have decided to *consider*
the concept of building one from scratch or from bits and pieces. I
suspect that this would be a construction project that is a bit out of
my league, but before I get into grand plots and half-baked plans, I
thought it might be prudent to see what's out there in the way of
intelligence about the topic.

Pointers to resources and information appreciated.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

A good advice. Use Supremeblack www.supremeblack.nl. You can order it via
the internet.
It is a wax, which is put on wed but after a few hours gives a dry film. It
is lubricating very well. Doesn't get dirty because the dirt doesn't stick
on it. Stays well for about 200 km. Gives your chain a long live.

I use it for five years now and should never want something else anymore.

Succes,

Hans