Bicyclist killed by woman driver who was downloading cell phone ring tones

Old December 2nd 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
me

Default Bicyclist killed by woman driver who was downloading cell phonering tones

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:58:23 -0500, Robert Coe wrote:

Driving *is* a god given right,

!!!
Old December 2nd 06, 12:29 AM posted to misc.legal,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.cellular.verizon
nash

Driving *is* a god given right, but those who do it so dangerously should
be
dealt with harshly. So I both agree with you and think you're full of
sh*t.

No, You are wrong, it is a privilege. Ask any auto insurance agent or
police person. Rules are there to protect the innocent and everyones
safety. They were not made for hotshot drivers who think they know better.
They are for everyone with generally accepted driving skill.

Old December 2nd 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal
nash

I sincerely doubt a BC cyclist would get any more justice
post-humously.

And that is why we have to speak for those that cannot.

Old December 2nd 06, 12:38 AM posted to misc.legal,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.cellular.verizon
Zoot Katz

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:58:23 -0500, Robert Coe wrote:

:
: BTW, shove your attempt at a political troll. Every DA's hands are
: tied by the systemic bias that continues to perceive driving as a god
: given right and victims as expendable.

Driving *is* a god given right, but those who do it so dangerously should be
dealt with harshly. So I both agree with you and think you're full of sh*t.

Driving is a "privilege". Were it a "right" a driver's license
couldn't be suspended or revoked.

Unfortunately, that option isn't exercised nearly enough when dealing
with repeat offenders who's cars should be shredded with them in it.
--
zk
Old December 2nd 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,misc.legal,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.cellular.verizon
Tim McNamara

In article . com,
"Yarper" wrote:

Clear and obvious guilt. Result? A slap on the wrist, due directly to
Democratic State Attorney Julia Reitz, who ironically is listed as
working for a personal-injury law firm.

Is her political affiliation somehow relevant?

What we need in the USA is separate bicycle lanes, like they have
throughout Denmark and parts of Holland.

What Denmark and Holland have is a population that uses bikes in large
numbers. That's what makes the difference. Separate bikes lanes are
frequently more dangerous than riding on the roads.
Old December 2nd 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,misc.legal,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.cellular.verizon
Dave

richard wrote:

But I do not feel that an improper lane usage charge is not adequate as
there was a human life involved, which is a test for reckless operation,
and that test was met with flying colors.
I have a sneaking hunch this will not be the last time we will hear
about Ms. Stark and her cell phone.

Actually Ms. Stark should be prohibited from owning/using a cell phone
for the rest of her life!
Old December 2nd 06, 01:14 AM posted to misc.legal,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.cellular.verizon
Robert Coe

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 00:29:30 GMT, "nash" wrote:
: Driving *is* a god given right, but those who do it so dangerously should
: be
: dealt with harshly. So I both agree with you and think you're full of
: sh*t.
:
: No, You are wrong, it is a privilege. Ask any auto insurance agent or
: police person. Rules are there to protect the innocent and everyones
: safety. They were not made for hotshot drivers who think they know better.
: They are for everyone with generally accepted driving skill.

The US constitution and the laws implementing it were not written by auto
insurance agents and police persons.

Governments restrict rights. (One hopes they do it only when, and to the
degree, necessary.) They have no "privileges" to grant.
Old December 2nd 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,misc.legal,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.cellular.verizon
val189

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...cyclists_death

What we need in the USA is separate bicycle lanes, like
they have throughout Denmark and parts of Holland.

What we REALLY need are some heavy duty sentences for this type of
happening. I can't wait for the day they outlaw cell phone usage of
any kind while driving and some stiff penalties for noncompliance.
Almost got creamed today in a parking lot by two drivers screwin around
with their cellphones. Two hands on the wheel is becoming a rarity.

Old December 2nd 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,misc.legal,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.cellular.verizon
bdbafh

val189 wrote:
Yarper wrote:
Clear and obvious guilt. Result? A slap on the wrist, due directly
to Democratic State Attorney Julia Reitz, who ironically is listed as
working for a personal-injury law firm.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...cyclists_death

What we need in the USA is separate bicycle lanes, like
they have throughout Denmark and parts of Holland.

What we REALLY need are some heavy duty sentences for this type of
happening. I can't wait for the day they outlaw cell phone usage of
any kind while driving and some stiff penalties for noncompliance.
Almost got creamed today in a parking lot by two drivers screwin around
with their cellphones. Two hands on the wheel is becoming a rarity.

"Two hands on the wheel is becoming a rarity."

ever hear of driving a car with a standard (non-automatic)
transmission?

-bdbafh

Old December 2nd 06, 01:35 AM posted to misc.legal,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.cellular.verizon
nash

The US constitution and the laws implementing it were not written by auto
insurance agents and police persons.

The US constitution does not say you have a right to drive either.

Driver, text messaging on cell phone, kills cyclist Joe S. General 3 November 27th 05 11:31 PM
Cell Phone [email protected] General 2 April 29th 05 12:56 PM
GPS CELL PHONE Equiped g.daniels Techniques 0 July 18th 03 03:43 PM