Off season snow shovel

Old February 2nd 04, 12:36 PM
Dennis Johnston

Default Off season snow shovel

Is there any frame builders that do Snow shovels in the off season,
something light responsive, with just the right angles, and comfortable for
about 3 ft or so. HA! Dennis in Omaha

Old February 2nd 04, 06:23 PM
Per Elmsäter

Dennis Johnston wrote:
Is there any frame builders that do Snow shovels in the off season,
something light responsive, with just the right angles, and
comfortable for about 3 ft or so. HA! Dennis in Omaha

How many feet of snow is your Lactate Treshhold at?

--
Perre

Old February 3rd 04, 01:52 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 06:36:53 -0600, "Dennis Johnston"
wrote:
Is there any frame builders that do Snow shovels in the off season,
something light responsive, with just the right angles, and comfortable for
about 3 ft or so. HA! Dennis in Omaha

Do you want a racing shovel, a touring shovel, a comfort shovel, or
a mountain shovel? What type of shoveling will you do? Fit is very
important. Make sure to get the proper leverage for the terrain
you'll ride, too; close ratios are nice, but a wide range is
necessary for steep terrain.

When is Shimano coming out with SPD-Shovel anyway? I need a good
retention system for my snowshovels...
--
Rick Onanian
Old February 3rd 04, 02:36 PM
AustinMN

wrote:
Is there any frame builders that do Snow shovels in the off season,
something light responsive, with just the right angles, and comfortable

for
about 3 ft or so. HA! Dennis in Omaha

Do you want a racing shovel, a touring shovel, a comfort shovel, or
a mountain shovel? What type of shoveling will you do? Fit is very
important. Make sure to get the proper leverage for the terrain
you'll ride, too; close ratios are nice, but a wide range is
necessary for steep terrain.

When is Shimano coming out with SPD-Shovel anyway? I need a good
retention system for my snowshovels...
--
Rick Onanian

What gears are best for a downhill shovel? My driveway is flat near the
house, but becomes fairly steep near the street. Any other stuff I should
know (what types of brakes, and what's a good shoveling ratio) before I
start?

Austin

Old February 3rd 04, 05:11 PM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:36:29 GMT, "AustinMN"
wrote:
What gears are best for a downhill shovel? My driveway is flat near the
house, but becomes fairly steep near the street. Any other stuff I should
know (what types of brakes, and what's a good shoveling ratio) before I
start?

Well, I find that I can use a 53x11 gear going down steep hills with
my shovel, but that I would probably do better with a really low
30x27 (or even lower) going up. Luckily, I'm in the middle of
converting my shovel to a triple. Keep in mind, however, that there
are many people here who will insist that no shovel should need a
bigger gear than 48x14, nor a lower gear than 42x23, no matter what
terrain or who is involved.

The brake issue depends on what type of handle you'll have on your
shovel. If it's got a straight handle, you can easily use V brakes;
these will give you a LOT of stopping power. For a curved handle
with a drop, your brake lever options may limit which types of
brakes will work well for you; cantilevers are a popular choice to
give you lots of clearance.

You should use a light, quick shoveling ratio; heavier, slower
ratios tend to result in back trouble, even if you feel better that
way in the beginning.
--
Rick Onanian
Old February 3rd 04, 11:39 PM
Claire Petersky

wrote:
Is there any frame builders that do Snow shovels in the off season,
something light responsive, with just the right angles, and comfortable

for
about 3 ft or so. HA! Dennis in Omaha

Do you want a racing shovel, a touring shovel, a comfort shovel, or
a mountain shovel? What type of shoveling will you do? Fit is very
important. Make sure to get the proper leverage for the terrain
you'll ride, too; close ratios are nice, but a wide range is
necessary for steep terrain.

Don't forget: a high-watt headlight and battery of rear red blinkies is
mandatory if you plan to shovel when it's dark.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
My bookshelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Cpetersky

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

Old February 5th 04, 01:12 PM
Eric Babula

wrote:
Is there any frame builders that do Snow shovels in the off
season, something light responsive, with just the right angles,
and comfortable for about 3 ft or so. HA! Dennis in Omaha

Do you want a racing shovel, a touring shovel, a comfort shovel,
or a mountain shovel? What type of shoveling will you do? Fit is
very important. Make sure to get the proper leverage for the
terrain you'll ride, too; close ratios are nice, but a wide range
is necessary for steep terrain.

Don't forget: a high-watt headlight and battery of rear red
blinkies is mandatory if you plan to shovel when it's dark.

Are you picking on me, Claire?
(referring to my "Adding more blinkies to my bike - help!" thread)

--
Smile!!

__O
_-\ ,_ Eric Babula
(_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Old February 6th 04, 01:47 AM
Mike Schwab

Build your own plow!

http://www-bdnew.fnal.gov/pbar/organ...Bike_Plow.html

Old February 6th 04, 05:12 AM
Tom Sherman

Rick Onanian wrote:

Do you want a racing shovel, a touring shovel, a comfort shovel, or
a mountain shovel?...

A recumbent shovel, of course.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Old February 6th 04, 07:26 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 23:12:01 -0600, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Rick Onanian wrote:
Do you want a racing shovel, a touring shovel, a comfort shovel, or
a mountain shovel?...

A recumbent shovel, of course.

With a fairing?
--
Rick Onanian

Riding in Snow Badger South General 23 December 15th 03 06:23 PM
Riding in the snow, another way MP General 4 December 15th 03 05:10 PM
Metric Century through snow.. should I try? :) Mike Beauchamp General 9 November 24th 03 12:10 AM