N36 dismount help

Old May 22nd 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ahollow

Default N36 dismount help

Well, my N36 showed up Friday, and it's great! Freemounting is pretty
simple, since the wheel doesn't really want to spin too easily until
you get rolling, then watch out!

Anyway, I dismount my KH24 and KH29 by just slowing down and going off
the front. Well, I tried this on the N36, and it's a disaster. Too
far to fall down and still hold the T7 to keep the uni from crashing.

I watched Jess in the Tuxedo Junction video, and I'm trying to copy his
dismount, but was wondering if anyone has any detailed suggestions on
dismounting from the rear?

Thanks!

--
ahollow
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 22nd 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

ahollow wrote:

I watched Jess in the Tuxedo Junction video, and I'm trying to copy his
dismount, but was wondering if anyone has any detailed suggestions on
dismounting from the rear?

Practice on a smaller wheel first.

Ride at a normal pace or slightly slower. When your target foot (for
me, my non-dominant foot, but you get to choose) is starting its
upswing, lift it off the pedal and step backwards. When your target
foot is on the ground, take the other foot off. It shouldn't take more
than a few tries to get it on a small wheel.

On the big wheel, it's the same thing, but feels like a lot further
down, and you may wind up taking your second foot off before you get
the first foot all the way down.

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 22nd 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chexjc

tholub wrote:
Practice on a smaller wheel first.

Ride at a normal pace or slightly slower. When your target foot (for
me, my non-dominant foot, but you get to choose) is starting its
upswing, lift it off the pedal and step backwards. When your target
foot is on the ground, take the other foot off. It shouldn't take more
than a few tries to get it on a small wheel.

On the big wheel, it's the same thing, but feels like a lot further
down, and you may wind up taking your second foot off before you get
the first foot all the way down.

That sounds like what I do on my coker. You shouldn't be dismounting
forwards. As your non-dominant foot comes around the back step off with
your dominant foot and then take the other foot off...the uni should
only roll out in front of you a bit.

--
Chexjc

www.myspace.com/thelostguitarist
AIM: Guitardude88
Check out my videos!
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JasonCheckla
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 22nd 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

Dismounting to the rear is a useful skill, and it looks pretty neat
compared to hopping off the front. I think it's also a little easier
on your knees, since hopping off the front always encouraged me to leap
off whilst still moving.

Basically, when you dismount to the rear, you're slowing (potentially
to nearly a stop) and then when your feet reach the right position you
step backwards off the uni as if it were a ladder. Hold onto the
saddle or T7 and you've just dismounted cleanly.

I used to find with the 36" that jumping off the front even without the
T7 fitted could be a bit difficult - if I only had one hand free,
getting the wheel round in front of me was a real pain. Dismounting
off the back is much better in this respect. Also, my friends cringe
less when I stall the wheel and step off backwards vs when I used to
zoom at them and suddenly leap off the front. Wimps

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 22nd 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ahollow

Thanks for all the feedback! When I was learning on my 24, I had two
horrendous backwards crashes, so I think subconciously I'm afraid to go
off the back. All your suggestions should really help me overcome
that.

Thanks again!

--
ahollow
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 22nd 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

When riding N36 i come roll to a dead stop with my dominant foot
forward, balance there for a second and then step backwards with my
dominant foot. If i need to dismount quickly I don't bother to bring it
to a complete stop, I do pretty much as the other guys in this forum
have suggested, step off with my back foot as it rises.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 22nd 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
habbywall

Personally, I never ever dismount with the uni in front of me, unless
there is a group of ladies that I want to impress.
Usually what I do is take my hand of the front handles, and just jump
off the front, at the same time I will subconsciously bring my left
hand around back and grab the back of the saddle, it will come off the
ground just the right amount to swing it in front againand it doesn't
look unplanned at all.
Although when doing this I do slow down a bit.

--
habbywall

'The Best Juggling Ballz in the World!!' (http://www.gballz.com)
'This is your invite.' (http://www.lost.eu/20fab)
'A PM a day keeps the doctor away. ' (http://tinyurl.com/2yxu3o)
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 22nd 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tobbogonist

whenever i see this thread title i think of N64's and for some reason
get a mental picture of someone trying to work out how to use those
three handed controllers, then Zaphod beeblbrox(sp?) comes in (the one
from the series not the movie) and beats everyone.

this is quite an inconveniece to have to stop and think such a thing
everytime i skim over the forums.
Damn minds eye. maybe people with a lack of imagination can have lazer
eye surgery on there minds eye.

sorry for thread jacking.

--
tobbogonist

Nutcracker wrote:

-- And I want him... to ride the SECOND wheel...-

http://www.usenet.com