Review: Solidlights 1203d (long)

Old September 10th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Luke

Default Review: Solidlights 1203d (long)

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:12:06 -0700, Crescentius Vespasianus
wrote:

Thank you very much for this review. I am planning to buy another
light to supplement my
1W LED in the next year...I've been looking at the DeNotte (sp?) line,
but like dynamos besides. (Dynamos, AA and D batteries are what I've
standardized on in my life and bicycling life, so the DeNotte use of
AA's is like a siren call to me.)

Pureheart
Aptos, CA

---------------
I have a Dinotte, and the AA
rechargeble's are the way to go. I
tried Lithium AA's and they went dark
way to quick. Sometimes the bumping
will knock an AA loose, and you lose the
light, but I solved it easily by putting
a rubber band around the holder and the
bats, so they can't shake loose. The
only thing about the DiNotte light, is
that it is a flood, and the spot doesn't
go out very far. So you still need a
spot way out front. I'm planning on
getting a fenix L2d-ce flashlight, with
a twofish cyclopblock to hold it, to put
a spot way out there. Presently I use a
cateye el-500 to get a spot, but that
light is barely adequate in my opinion.

Count me among those pleased with the Dinotte (Ultra 5).

A rubber band round the battery pack and connector is a workaround I
resort to as well. The only other modification to my Dinotte package
was replacing the less than waterproof battery case holder with a
neoprene (Topeak) multitool case that had been bouncing about my spare
parts bin. Although it also is not completely waterproof it affords
better protection during downpours than the stock item.

And the convenience of the AA batteries is a bonus. With NiMH AAs of
over 2500 milli-amp hours readily available the Dinotte Ultra 5 will
easily last 2+ hours on 'high' mode before automatically kicking into
energy saver mode.
Old September 10th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Andy M-S

On Sep 9, 7:55 am, dkahn400 wrote:

The unit gives a general wash of light with a very bright central
area. Best results seem to be obtained by angling the unit down far
more than you would with most lights so the bright spot is 4 - 5 yards
in front of the bike. The road beyond the bright spot will still be
lit well enough to travel confidently at 30 mph, both verges will be
plainly visible, and distant signposts will light up. With the unit
angled down like this oncoming vehicles will not be dazzled but you
will still get comments from people about how bright the lights seem.

Because of the lack of a defined beam pattern the unit is much more
impressive on very dark roads than well lit ones. Under good street
lighting, and in a car headlight beam, the effect of illuminating the
road almost disappears although of course you are still highly visible
to oncoming traffic. In good street lighting I think it makes sense to
switch to flashing mode, reverting to steady mode when ambient light
is low.

I suspect that the 'wash of light' effect is likely due to the use of
lenses rather than reflectors. My dual LED headlight (homemade with 2
Luxeon K2s, one 15-degree and one wide-angle lens, running off a
Shimano dynohub) has the same wash effect. It works very well...but
an inexpensive 1W LED I recently put on my son's bike has a nice sharp
beam--it's using a reflector.

OTOH, I really liked the wash effect the other night when I had to
ride home through near-total darkness!

Old September 11th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Zoot Katz

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:27:47 -0700, Dane Buson
wrote:

Thanks for the review. It sounds like the best light around for those
of us who prefer to grind our own lumens.

It is really nice. The only thing I'm concerned about is the
weatherproofing. I've toasted too many (battery) lights from moisture
to be less than leary. [1]

Silicone caulk holds together the parts of the globe not already
secured by duct tape.

It might cause warranty issues but it won't leak.
\
[1] Planet bike, I'm looking at you!

I usually end up sealing the joint of their red 7 LED blinkies with
clear surgical tape.* It keeps the unit from coming apart and blocks
the ingress of water. Their Beamer 3 and Dual Spot headlights never
had problems.

*After losing the last PB 7 LED rear lamp, for half its price, I
replaced it with a 5 LED MEC brand light that uses the cheaper AA
batteries instead of AAA. It also neatly bolts directly to the
reflector bracket of the rack. I've not yet had to tape it.
--
zk
Old September 11th 07, 10:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Crescentius Vespasianus

Count me among those pleased with the Dinotte (Ultra 5).

A rubber band round the battery pack and connector is a workaround I
resort to as well. The only other modification to my Dinotte package
was replacing the less than waterproof battery case holder with a
neoprene (Topeak) multitool case that had been bouncing about my spare
parts bin. Although it also is not completely waterproof it affords
better protection during downpours than the stock item.

And the convenience of the AA batteries is a bonus. With NiMH AAs of
over 2500 milli-amp hours readily available the Dinotte Ultra 5 will
easily last 2+ hours on 'high' mode before automatically kicking into
energy saver mode.

---------------
I've never had mine in the rain. Is the
light waterproof? For the bat pack, a
less elegant solution is simply to
double rap the pack with a plastic bag
and rubber bands. But I always wondered
about the light, it's waterproofness. I
have done some all night rides, so a
recharging is out of the question, so
the AA setup of the DiNotte works
perfect for me. If it goes dim, just
either put some more Nimh bats in, or
carry some alkaline's with you.
Old September 11th 07, 11:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Crescentius Vespasianus

Does the Fenix have an adjustable spot to flood lens like the Maglite?

Don't even mention a maglite in
comparison to a fenix. That's like
comparing a candle to the landing lights
of a 747.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...1dce-l2dce.htm
Old September 11th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting :
many years (at least during my 'lighting season'). Do they come in 40
and 48H versions and do you find the quality adequate?

The SON does come in 40/48 hole versions, but unless you're looking to use
only one rim drilling, 36 should be enough for a front. I've put a lot of
miles on a 36h SON wheel (albeit on a Sun Rhyno) on the tandem, and it's
fine.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Stilday, August - a weekend.
Old September 12th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

In article ,
[...]

Good grief, what a blessed nuisance to have to carry four sets of
batteries and swap them out every two hours. Why not just use a
generator system?
Old September 12th 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Luke

In article , Tim
McNamara wrote:

In article ,
[...]

I can't vouch that the Dinotte will survive complete submersion --
perhaps you can experiment in the kitchen sink and let us know ;-) But
it has performed perfectly in several *very heavy* deluges, and
numerous drizzly affairs.

Good grief, what a blessed nuisance to have to carry four sets of
batteries and swap them out every two hours. Why not just use a
generator system?

My regular nocturnal ramblings -- well, at least those that require
illumination -- are yet to commonly exceed the discharge span of the
Dinottes.

Until a generator system offers comparable convenience and power --
5W/200 lumens -- at the Dinotte's price I'll gladly bear the occasional
extra burden of 4 AAs. I mean it's a payload smaller than a chocolate
bar, how much of a nuisance can it be?

Consider: a significant benefit of the Dinotte is that it can be
switched between my several bikes in less than 2 minutes - no
exaggeration; it's also relatively cheap, (on sale the Dinotte Ultra
5, complete with 4 NiMH AAs and charger, cost IIRC $120 @
westernbikeworks.com), lightweight, durable and waterproof (so far!).

Arguably the light is not for randonneuring or touring but I consider
it supreme for my needs.
Old September 12th 07, 10:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Tim McNamara tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

Good grief, what a blessed nuisance to have to carry four sets of
batteries and swap them out every two hours. Why not just use a
generator system?

Tch! You're just being silly, Tim. Surely /everybody/ knows that neither
LED lights nor dynamo systems are suitable for actually seeing where one is
going at night.
/thudding_irony

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old September 12th 07, 12:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
CoyoteBoy

On 12 Sep, 05:12, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
[...]

I have no issues carrying extra batteries and swapping them. I'd like
a dynamo but they dont do 40w 12v ones for less than the price of my
lights and several sets of fairly lightweight batteries so it just
isnt sensible.