Training for Century?

Old August 31st 04, 06:13 PM
DRS

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

[...]

Of course, Martin W. Smith is telling me over in the LC newsgroup
that if you don't drink enough water while LCing than performance may
be hindered -- but that discussion is in the context of needing to
drink ****loads of water BECAUSE of LCing -- I'm not convinced of
that.

LC diets tend to be higher in protein and you need to keep yourself well
hydrated to avoid hitting your kidneys too hard.

The recommendation of drinking enough to get 4 or 5 clear pees
a day seems good,

It's unnecessarily high. How can you live spending so much time going to
and from the toilet? People in Western societies are already very well
hydrated. You don't have to go stupid.

but doing that on a ride seems problematic. How
does one find time to get that much water and doesn't it make one
uncomfortable on the bike?

It would vary a lot depending on conditions. If you're sweating a lot, for
example, you wouldn't retain as much fluid. On a cooler day you don't have
to drink so much.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old August 31st 04, 08:52 PM
Pat

::: That's an interesting idea, Pat. However, where do you put the
::: cup?
::
:: I don't follow your question, exactly. I pull down my shorts, pee in
:: the cup, and then throw the cup in the porta potty.

No, no...I was thinking they'd have those plastic cups at the reststop.

So,
to carry one with you, you've got to stash it somewhere....I know how to

pee
in a cup, man! (I don't like peeing in a cup, mind you, cause you might
miss or it might get full.....)

Oh, where you went wrong is the cup! I was talking about getting a cup of
Gatorade from the volunteers at the rest stop on the Century ride. They use
paper cups--full sized paper cups.

I always drink -- it is more a question of how much. I'll tell you that I
don't ride around felling like I need to drink -- that's no fun.

I have something that happens occasionally and that is I will NOT have the
urge to pee and so I will jump on my bike and ride. Three miles down the
road it hits me that I need to pee desperately--but the next rest stop is
still about 7 miles away. And that's not a fun feeling, either. One guy
said to me, "Wow, you're moving right out!" and I just gritted my teeth and
said, "You would too, if you had to pee as bad as I do!"

::
:: On the HHH, I stopped at rest stops 3, 6, and 9 just to pee. I
:: wanted to make sure I still could!

Wow. I never pee on my I ride....on my weekend rides I could stop at a
firestation to pee, though. But frankly, I don't want to have to pee out

in
the middle of nowhere. God forbide if I had to take a dump.

Oh, I bet you will need to pee if you attempt a Century ride.

Of course, Martin W. Smith is telling me over in the LC newsgroup that if
you don't drink enough water while LCing than performance may be

hindered --
but that discussion is in the context of needing to drink ****loads of

water
BECAUSE of LCing -- I'm not convinced of that. The recommendation of
drinking enough to get 4 or 5 clear pees a day seems good, but doing that

on
a ride seems problematic. How does one find time to get that much water

and
doesn't it make one uncomfortable on the bike?

As to that (water needs), I only worry about how I feel during the ride. I
didn't "carb load" or anything for this HHH ride, but I did drink Gatorade
at each rest stop that I visited. I ate two half bananas, 2 little cookies
and a smoked sausage with sauerkraut wrapped in a flour tortilla. I have now
done 3 Century rides without carb loading, and I did just fine all three
times. In fact, I did a personal best of 6 hours on this ride (and with no
weakness, etc. after it).

Pat in TX

Old August 31st 04, 08:55 PM
Pat

:: Hmmm...I've definitely been eating and drinking a lot on my rides.
:: Last week, for instance, my ride was 69 miles. I drank three large
:: water bottles (one was water I purchased at a store) and about 80-90
:: ounces of water from my Camelback.

I got a hydration pack but have not used to due to my preconceived notion
that it would be uncomfortable to have on while riding 69 miles!

At first, it does seem heavy, but remember---it gets lighter as you go on.
By the end of the ride, it is so light and empty that it is barely
noticeable. Having said that, though, I have noticed people with 2 water
bottles on the Charity rides and they do just fine. For me, though, I find I
don't drink as much water if I carry the bottles. It's just less convenient,
especially in the wind.

I took in about 20 grams of
:: carbs per hour, one time with 20 grams protein. I also ate one
:: powerbar type thing. (I count the bar as 20 grams of carbs.)
:

So that's about 100 g's of carbs and 20 grams of protein, right? 480

kcals
doesn't seem unreasonable to me, at all. I guess the powerbar has protein
in there too, so that adds some more calories.

I don't worry about counting any of that. I don't even carry the protein
bars.I have tried them in the past and they just taste like sludge. If I
carry anything, I carry those individually wrapped cheese sticks.

Pat in TX

Old August 31st 04, 09:05 PM
Bill Baka

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 03:13:26 +1000, DRS wrote:

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

So how do you drink enough to keep your kidneys going? I have done about
80 to 90 miles in one 9 hour day while drinking over a gallon and not
had to pee until about 2 hours after I got home. My stomach was sloshing
the whole ride but I was sweating a lot too, being a 90+ degree day.
Is there some drink that gets absorbed faster, besides beer which always
makes me want to pee right away?? On some of my 1 hour max burn cardio
rides on hot days I have weighed in before and after and come in about 4
pounds lighter. That is about 1/2 gallon per hour and I don't think the
stomach absorbs water that fast, and I can't ride after drinking a 1/2
gallon of beer, no way.
FWIW I live in the hot central California valley where 90s and 100s
are common in the summer, still nothing to compare with someplace like
Arkansas where it gets to be 98 degrees and 98% humidity. State sport
should be sweating in place. My dad lived there so I know about that.
Bill Baka

Old August 31st 04, 09:10 PM
Bob in CT

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:55:30 -0500, Pat wrote:

[...]

I don't ride with my camelback, except for very long rides. They are
heavy, but when you're riding for 5-6 hours and there's nothing around,
you need water.

I took in about 20 grams of
:: carbs per hour, one time with 20 grams protein. I also ate one
:: powerbar type thing. (I count the bar as 20 grams of carbs.)
:

So that's about 100 g's of carbs and 20 grams of protein, right? 480

kcals
doesn't seem unreasonable to me, at all. I guess the powerbar has
protein
in there too, so that adds some more calories.

I don't worry about counting any of that. I don't even carry the protein
bars.I have tried them in the past and they just taste like sludge. If I
carry anything, I carry those individually wrapped cheese sticks.

Pat in TX

I like the carbs and whey protein (I carry dextrose and whey protein). I
carry some bars, too, as I don't eat breakfast and my stomach likes solid
food after about 4 hours (although the protein does help). Also, some
studies indicate that taking protein during a ride spares muscle. I'm not
sure if this is true, but I feel better when taking protein during a long
ride as opposed to just carbs. I'm estimating my carb intake, and it's
probably lower than that. However, I do take in about 60-80 grams of
protein before, during, and immediately after my ride and about 100 grams
of carbs during the same time. For short rides (less than 2 hours), I
take only water.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Old August 31st 04, 09:17 PM
Bob in CT

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:52:25 -0500, Pat wrote:

[...]

During my 70 mile bike rides, I typically pee at least 4 times.
Personally, I like drinking water and have always drank a ton of water,
unless the ride is short or it's very cold out. I'm different than Pat --
I do some carbo loading before the ride (typically fruit the day before),
some during, and some after. However, I lift weights twice a week and
ride three days a week.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

ReL lactate testing / training Andy Coggan Racing 0 July 15th 04 10:18 PM
Tips on top 5 mistakes that trainers make in races Badger_South General 0 May 23rd 04 08:50 PM
Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
3/27 Training Ride Notice: National Multiple Sclerosis Society MS150 The Roadkill Rides 0 March 25th 04 10:24 PM
effect of days off training? Eric Lambi Racing 6 December 23rd 03 03:59 PM