Wrong to confront?

Old September 4th 04, 04:44 PM
neil0502

"mark" wrote

"AustinMN" wrote:
Roger Zoul wrote:

I really think you might want to consider using a car instead of

riding
bicycle if you don't learn to control yourself. You might hurt

someone.

He apparently has the most basic qualifications for operating a motor
vehicle...getting angry in traffic.

Austin

The OP did not brandish the Kryptonite, nor did he use it to vandalize

the
SUV, nor did he assault or batter anyone with it. He merely kept it

visible
so that the motorist he was talking to (who was displaying a fair bit of
inappropriate anger herself) wouldn't be as likely to get nasty with him.

He
did take the risk that the motorist was carrying something more effective
than a rubber coated bicycle lock, but that was his choice.

The two paragons of Christian virtue in the Stupid Useless Vehicle

weren't
hurt, and they will probably think twice before they harass other road

users
in the future.

High risk, low reward.

Old September 4th 04, 04:56 PM
Badger_South

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 01:41:43 -0400, "Eric S. Sande"
wrote:

This definitely wasn't a battle I was going to win, so I made a
great show of reading off her license plate, pulling into the ATM
that was my original objective, and pretending to write down said
license number.

Of course I didn't have a pen.

Can't blame you for your reaction, but just remember, when you're out there
on the bike, you're pumped up and probably not thinking calmly. It's better
to devise a strategy so that your hyped up physical state doesn't get you
into trouble. Easier said than done. Glad you weren't hurt, etc.

-B

Old September 4th 04, 05:18 PM
Leo Lichtman

"mark" wrote: (clip) they will probably think twice before they harass
other road users in the future.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We wish. More likely, after they have had time to think about it, they will
"gerymander" the memories so that they will perceive themselves as
blameless, heroic victims, and the cyclist as the villain. In the
retelling, the story will have lines in it like, "He was blocking my way, so
I tapped politely on my horn, and he flew into a rage, and threatened me
with some kind of a heavy piece of metal. I was lucky to get my windows
closed in time."

By the time HER friends have repeated the story, it will include, perhaps,
"Something needs to be done about all those lawless bicycle riders. They
don't belong on OUR streets."

Old September 4th 04, 05:45 PM
Badger_South

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:18:48 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"mark" wrote: (clip) they will probably think twice before they harass
other road users in the future.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We wish. More likely, after they have had time to think about it, they will
"gerymander" the memories so that they will perceive themselves as
blameless, heroic victims, and the cyclist as the villain. In the
retelling, the story will have lines in it like, "He was blocking my way, so
I tapped politely on my horn, and he flew into a rage, and threatened me
with some kind of a heavy piece of metal. I was lucky to get my windows
closed in time."

By the time HER friends have repeated the story, it will include, perhaps,
"Something needs to be done about all those lawless bicycle riders. They
don't belong on OUR streets."

Exactly. Same kind of thing happens on my bike/MU trail. You be polite and
thank everyone for letting you pass, but there's still a few people who
think you don't belong, since that trail is -their- venue to use for their
dogs to poop everywhere and chase people, jump on peds, and run up from a
dunk in the river and shake on hapless hikers (OK, that part is funny).

They break the law constantly by letting dogs off the leash on 'leash days'
(Fri-Mon), but get very upset if you ask them "ma'am, why is your dog
charging and jumping on me? please control him" They reply "he's charging
and jumping on you b/c you're going too fast." Of course at the time, I'm
dead stopped or coasting at about 1mph trying to get by them. It's all
their little pea-brain can think of to say, since they'll never admit to
being a scoflaw and public nuisance.

Then they have the nerve to post a rant in the local paper about the crazy
bikers who ride by and don't stop when they see them with their precious
doggies. I mean c'mon, we're supposed to stop and pull the bike over when
encountering a dog? But that's their take on it.

Fortunately more and more bikers are using the trail and the doggie walkers
will just have to adjust and/or go elsewhere.

-B

Old September 4th 04, 06:00 PM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 10:33:15 -0400, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

Our local mormon proselytizers are the same way. Pity nobody taught them
about riding on the road, properly. They weave through the sidewalks and
driveways, counterflow.

DON'T mess with them.

They're the Mighty Mormon Power Rangers.

Old September 4th 04, 06:58 PM
Roger Zoul

mark wrote:
||| He apparently has the most basic qualifications for operating a
||| motor vehicle...getting angry in traffic.
||| Austin
|| The OP did not brandish the Kryptonite, nor did he use it to
|| vandalize the SUV, nor did he assault or batter anyone with it. He
|| merely kept it visible so that the motorist he was talking to (who
|| was displaying a fair bit of inappropriate anger herself) wouldn't
|| be as likely to get nasty with him. He did take the risk that the
|| motorist was carrying something more effective than a rubber coated
|| bicycle lock, but that was his choice.

If he approached me with a weapon, I would assume he intended to use it. It
is a threatening act that is likely to incite violence. There was no need
for that...he should have let them be. Hey did nothing more than blow a
horn and there is no law against being ignorant - but there are laws against
threatening people with violence.

|| The two paragons of Christian virtue in the Stupid Useless Vehicle
|| weren't hurt, and they will probably think twice before they harass
|| other road users in the future.

Them being Christian has little to do with it. They were just to ignorant
old biddies.