Interesting sights and sounds.

Old February 9th 05, 12:56 AM
b_baka

Default Interesting sights and sounds.

New topic.
Today I took a short ride into the country side, 12 miles out, then back
for 24 total. At one point I stopped and got off the bike just to focus
on a really strange looking 'cloud'. About 2 miles from me I saw what
appeared to be a large cloud of something near the ground, changing
colors and direction. Very interesting, but what was it? The 'cloud'
turned out to be a very large flock of Canadian geese (500?) that were
all following the random pattern of one leader. The color change was due
to the birds changing direction and thus the reflection of sunlight from
their tops of bottoms. After that I just stood there and listened, to
the ambient noises, which were very few. I found that I could hear a car
up to about 3/4 of a mile and once it had passed it was just birds with
their chirps and songs, with just a bit of wind rustle mixed in, and the
occasional sound of the distant geese.
Very peaceful and relaxing.

Side note;
The optical resolution of the human eyeball in bright light seems off
the charts. I wear glasses which give me about 20/15 correction, but
with the smaller pupil in sunlight I was somewhat amazed at how many
fine details I could resolve. I kind of zoned out just looking at things
in a 360 degree circle, like watching cars on a road 2+ miles away and
able to make out car or truck, and color at that distance.
Random observation for the day.
Bill Baka