A Bike Story That Sounds Farfetched

Old October 12th 03, 01:04 AM
Prometheus7

Default A Bike Story That Sounds Farfetched

I share this to show you just how stupid some people can be. Don't
underestimate what some people will do for fun.

I'm riding on a rural road, low traffic. It's flat and toward the end of my
ride, so I'm riding around 18 mph, on the far right line. I don't want
trouble from the car people, nor do I want a bad name for biking. Anyway, I
hear the car coming up behind me. Nothing abnormal, I figure he's going to
pass and go on. There is no oncoming traffic, and you can see for 1/2 or
better.

As the sound of the car is on me, I get the most incredible impact and
stinging sensation on my butt. My eyes must have bugged out of my head 3
inches, tears and all. For the next 5 seconds, that seemed like forever, my
mind says WOW, I haven't been spanked like that since I was a kid, if ever.
I'm thankful I'm still upright and not in the ditch. Anger erupts into my
brain as I see this Honda Civic pulling away from me with the outstretched
arm and hand of the passenger lazily dangling out window. I'm sure he
wanted me to see what he slapped me with. The mind doesn't work fast enough
in that surprised state to get the license plate.

I had always heard stories of people having close calls. I never thought it
would happen to me.

Old October 12th 03, 05:38 AM
Johann S.

Prometheus7 Said:

I share this to show you just how stupid some people can be. Don't
underestimate what some people will do for fun.

Not exactly bike related, but the following happened to my dad. He (my
Dad) had a car breakdown. So he called me to come and tow him, and
meanwhle he sat by the side of the road. He was sitting in his car,
with the door open. The stretch of road he was on, had very light
traffic, and the speed limit was 120km/h. While he was sitting, the
next minute an apple hit the door of his car, on the inside, right in
front of his face, with a tremendous impact. There was a car going
past at that exact moment, so you know where the apple came from.

You can imagine an apple going at 120km/h. Should hurt plenty when it
hits you.

--

QUIPd 1.02: (286 of 659)
- The more a man knows himself, the less he says about it.
Old October 12th 03, 03:28 PM
William Blum

"Johann S." wrote in message
While he was sitting, the
next minute an apple hit the door of his car, on the inside, right in
front of his face, with a tremendous impact. There was a car going
past at that exact moment, so you know where the apple came from.

You can imagine an apple going at 120km/h. Should hurt plenty when it
hits you.

I had something similar happen to me while parked near a highway, waiting
for an approaching train.

Just sitting there, door open, minding my own business--- *thud*. Various
bits of food related debris hit the inside of my open car door. (I'm parked
~30 feet off the road, in a gravel parking lot.)

By the time I realized what had happened, my passenger (an off duty state
trooper) was already speed-dialing the local state police dispatcher.

Old October 12th 03, 06:06 PM
David Reuteler

Kevan Smith wrote:
: Wow, cycling AND sex! How much do you have to pay?

depends on whether you want pig's fat or you'll settle for crisco.
--
david reuteler

Old October 12th 03, 09:49 PM

Prometheus7 wrote:

: As the sound of the car is on me, I get the most incredible impact and
: stinging sensation on my butt. My eyes must have bugged out of my head 3
: inches, tears and all. For the next 5 seconds, that seemed like forever, my
: mind says WOW, I haven't been spanked like that since I was a kid, if ever.
: I'm thankful I'm still upright and not in the ditch. Anger erupts into my
: brain as I see this Honda Civic pulling away from me with the outstretched
: arm and hand of the passenger lazily dangling out window. I'm sure he
: wanted me to see what he slapped me with. The mind doesn't work fast enough
: in that surprised state to get the license plate.

Guess one could treat that as sexual harrassment :-.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old October 13th 03, 03:06 AM
The Real Bev

Prometheus7 wrote:

[...]

That happened to my sister-in-law on a bike ride in the mountains. She
remembers the slap on the butt and then waking up in the hospital. As
long as she was going to be laid up with broken and bruised body parts
for a while she decided to have her boobs done, but that's another
story.

I had always heard stories of people having close calls. I never thought it
would happen to me.

I can see why people think about carrying guns while they ride. The
temptation to blow the jerk's head (or hand) off would be nearly
irresistible.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 13th 03, 07:25 PM
arlo

The Real Bev wrote in news:3F8A0890.AD9C6EB5
@myrealbox.com:

As long as she was going to be laid up with broken and bruised body parts
for a while she decided to have her boobs done, but that's another
story.

Wow, now *that* is taking advantage of down time!
Old October 14th 03, 06:41 AM
The Real Bev

arlo wrote:

The Real Bev wrote in news:3F8A0890.AD9C6EB5
@myrealbox.com:

As long as she was going to be laid up with broken and bruised body parts
for a while she decided to have her boobs done, but that's another
story.

Wow, now *that* is taking advantage of down time!

I thought so too. She had them taken out five years or so later -- they
got hard as rocks.

--
Ch rs,
B v
Old November 14th 03, 11:22 PM

Johann S. wrote:

next minute an apple hit the door of his car, on the inside, right in
front of his face, with a tremendous impact. There was a car going
past at that exact moment, so you know where the apple came from.

You can imagine an apple going at 120km/h. Should hurt plenty when it
hits you.

Many years ago I went on a hike with some friends, then to work for the
evening. Late that night I was riding home along a limited-access
highway, speed limit 55 mph, when a passing insert your favorite
disgusting body part here tossed a beer bottle at me. Incredibly
fortunate that for the one and only time ever, I was wearing a full frame
backpack while riding. I still have the dented cook pot that the bottle
hit.