Seat Cover

Old June 25th 05, 10:15 PM
UniFanatic03

Default Seat Cover

I cant seem to come up with a strong material to make a seat cover out
of like the fussion. Denim is the only material that I could come up
with but I have heard many times that it isnt as strong as it looks for
saddle covers. Any help?

Mike

--
UniFanatic03 - Level 3/4

'My Unicycling Website' (http://www.freewebs.com/unifanatic03/)
UniFanatic03's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10107

Old June 25th 05, 11:53 PM
UNIquelyCanadian

Have you found this thread: http://tinyurl.com/ao6wc

I found denim to work quite niceless but I never tested it for
durability. Leather works very well however and is very long lasting
from my experience.

--
UNIquelyCanadian - 8~)[==)--O

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive
idiots.
UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

Old June 26th 05, 12:11 AM
James_Potter

I've been planning on making a duct tape seat cover for a while....but
more just for novelty for real use. I know it'd hold up, but one thing
that I think of that could go wrong is when it's hot out, and you're
sitting on it, the glue on the tape could melt and make the seat sticky,
which would definitely be a bad thing. so yeah, I'm sure you're not
going to try duct tape and my post was no help to you, just thought I'd
share anyway (:

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old June 26th 05, 12:38 AM
UNIquelyCanadian

UNIquelyCanadian wrote:
*Have you found this thread: http://tinyurl.com/ao6wc

I found denim to work quite niceless but I never tested it for
durability. Leather works very well however and is very long lasting
from my experience. *

...Sorry for a rather unintelligible post, I was in a hurry when I was
composing it.

Anyway have you decided on a material for your seat cover yet?

Old June 26th 05, 04:03 AM
maestro8

I've put together a seat cover out of some densely woven nylon, found at
the local fabric store. It hasn't had major wear on it, but it still
looks just like new. We double-stitched all the seams (w/ a moderately
coarse stitch length) and it shows no evidence of seam rippage.

"Ripstop," "Cordura," and "Ballistic Nylon" are other types of nylon
that are even better than the generic stuff I bought; check for them at
your local hobby / craft / fabric store. I believe the Roach covers are
made of Ballistic Nylon, and those things are nearly bullet-proof!

--
maestro8 - Mad Scientists for World Domination

Groucho Marx

Old June 26th 05, 04:19 AM
UniFanatic03

thanks for all your help, that other thread helped a lot! im pretty sure
that ill be using leather, but im not sure if I should try other
materials before the leather, due to the price. Between me about to buy
another uni and trying to afford leather that i have a good chance of
screwing up my pattern... well, you get the picture and what was the
woven nylon material maestro8, if you remember the name of it?

Old June 26th 05, 07:49 AM
Ken Cline

"maestro8" writes:

"Ripstop," "Cordura," and "Ballistic Nylon" are other types of nylon
that are even better than the generic stuff I bought; check for them at
your local hobby / craft / fabric store. I believe the Roach covers are
made of Ballistic Nylon, and those things are nearly bullet-proof!

Nylon is strong and stretches, making it well suited for making
durable fabrics. Even so, you'll want to use appropriate fabric for a
seat cover. Ripstop is great for making kites, but is too thin to be
a good choice for saddles. Ballistic nylon is about 8 times as heavy
as ripstop and, though you'll be hard pressed to wear it out, I wonder
if the texture might be too rough. Not to worry, though - there are
many nylon fabrics to choose from.

Ken
Old June 26th 05, 02:51 PM
UniFanatic03

i got into making kites a few months ago and used ripstop. i never want
to work with it again cause it is so thin and slippery its impossible to
sew im sure ill find a nylon that will work and will be nice and
strong, jst a trip to the store and ill be fine now