Caught in Rain

Old August 19th 05, 08:17 PM
Bob Palermo

Default Caught in Rain

Hi,

Today while riding, I got caught in a rainstorm. It was a hard rain, though
not torrential, that lasted about 20 minutes. It wasn't real pleasant. It
leads me to some questions about riding in the rain and post ride bike care.
I was riding my Trek 2300, which has Bontrager Lite wheels and Bontrager
slick (700 x 23) tires. The rain was hard enough that I had pretty big
rooster tails of water coming off the tires. I was very concerned about
traction and was worried about sliding out. I took almost every curve and
turn gingerly, slowing considerably before reaching them and then coasting
through them. I tried to keep the bike as upright as possible, fearing a
slide if I leaned at all. Even on straight road, I slowed down by a few mph.
Before the rain hit, I had been riding the flat straight-aways at about 21
mph and I dropped down to about 17 mph during and after the rain, while the
roads were still wet.

So, how careful do I need to be when riding on the rain? How much can you
lean before sliding out? Any other tips for riding on wet roads?

When I was done, I and my bike were soaked. In fact, when I spin the back
wheel, I can hear water sloshing. Is the water in the rim or in the hub? How
do I get it out? It seems spinning the tire gets some out a little at a
time. There also seems to be a tiny bit of sloshing in the front wheel, but
much less than the back. Any suggestions?

Also, what else do I need to do? What do I need to dry? Should I lube the
chain? What about the brakes and derailleur? Anything else?

Thanks for any advice you can give me

Bob Palermo

Old August 19th 05, 08:20 PM
Neil Brooks

"Bob Palermo" wrote:

[snip]

So, how careful do I need to be when riding on the rain? How much can you
lean before sliding out? Any other tips for riding on wet roads?

If you live in an area where it rains frequently, I'd take your bike
out into a parking lot--wearing knee-pads, elbow pads, your gloves,
and your helmet--and start screwing around with turning.
Experimentation will lead you to a better understanding of your
traction limits. Sticking a foot out will nearly always prevent an
actual fall.

When I was done, I and my bike were soaked. In fact, when I spin the back
wheel, I can hear water sloshing. Is the water in the rim or in the hub? How
do I get it out? It seems spinning the tire gets some out a little at a
time. There also seems to be a tiny bit of sloshing in the front wheel, but
much less than the back. Any suggestions?

Also, what else do I need to do? What do I need to dry? Should I lube the
chain? What about the brakes and derailleur? Anything else?

I stole this, verbatim, from some other post in the late '70s. I
liked it, so . . . by popular demand . . . :

"POST-RAIN MAINTENANCE:

For my non-winter bikes, that still see some rainy days, I usually do
the above more of a wash with soap, and I'll pop the chain off and
clean it thoroughly in solvent and then lube/install (use a
Wipperman). I will at a minimum pop the bolt out of the cable guide
underneath the BB shell to let water drain, and possibly pull the
seatpost to drain the seat tube. However, I use aluminum posts and I
grease the seat tube liberally so I usually only do this after a few
rainy rides. If I used a carbon post or carbon frame and could not use
grease, I would pull the post every rainy ride. Trek OCLV frames are
notorious for having seat tubes full of water after riding in the
rain.

On your machine, the Bontrager wheels have sealed hubs. Not much to do
but wait until the bearings fail, I mean, they can't be serviced. If
you want to be thorough, clean the cassette by either "flossing it
with a rag" or take it off and scrub it. When washing, don't spray
water directly at the hubs or bottom bracket. Ditto with the King HS,
but that sucker will withstand a lot of wet riding with no
maintenance. I would definitely drain the BB shell as described above,
drain the water from the rims, and also clean off your brake pads when
you have the wheels out of the frame."
Old August 19th 05, 08:32 PM
Bob in CT

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:20:50 GMT, Neil Brooks wrote:

"Bob Palermo" wrote:

[snip]

So, how careful do I need to be when riding on the rain? How much can
you
lean before sliding out? Any other tips for riding on wet roads?

If you live in an area where it rains frequently, I'd take your bike
out into a parking lot--wearing knee-pads, elbow pads, your gloves,
and your helmet--and start screwing around with turning.
Experimentation will lead you to a better understanding of your
traction limits. Sticking a foot out will nearly always prevent an
actual fall.

You know in a 100k I rode early this year, it was drizzling, and I was
going down a hill. I took one foot out of my pedals and had it out in
case I feel. I guy passed me and said that it wasn't wise to take a foot
out, but I still don't understand why. I'd rather land on my foot than my
butt or worse yet put my arm out.

--
Bob in CT
Old August 19th 05, 09:39 PM
MSA

Hi,

Today while riding, I got caught in a rainstorm. It was a hard rain, though
not torrential, that lasted about 20 minutes. It wasn't real pleasant.

Me too. 24 mile ride home in floods and torrential rain! What a
bummer.

I was very concerned about
traction and was worried about sliding out.

And rightly so.

I took almost every curve and
turn gingerly, slowing considerably before reaching them and then coasting
through them. I tried to keep the bike as upright as possible,

Good move, pretty much text book stuff.

So, how careful do I need to be when riding on the rain?

Basically, VERY! Do you drive a car? IF so, bet you slow down more on
country lane corners when it's been, or has been raining.

How much can you
lean before sliding out?

About that much. Impossible to say. Depends on amount of rain, road
surface, road condition, mud, gravel, tyre condition, tyre pressure,
rider weight etc. The only real answer is "not as much as you can when
in the dry on a good surface. I stacked it last December on a wet road
and slid for many metres before coming to a stop when hitting the kerb.
I consider myself a good rider, obviously I lent too much!

Any other tips for riding on wet roads?

I tend to ride lower tyre pressures when it's wet, as I do when it's
icy. I run 700c x 23's at about 100, as opposed to 130 in good
conditions.

Get some mudguards? Won't stop you crashing, but will make the ride
more enjoyable...no wet ass!

--
Mark
______________________________________

Old August 19th 05, 09:50 PM
Andrew F Martin

There have been a number of threads about how to handle your bike
post-rain ride.

For your wheels - find the small hole on in the rim and put both of
them in direct contact with a towel on the ground. Lean the bike on a
low chair with the hole side down in contact with the towel and it will
drain as gravity and capilary action (wicking properties of the towel)
work for you. It will never get completely dry in there without
removing the tire, but this will get them mostly dry.

For the bike, I usually take out the seatpost and try to slosh out as
much as possible. With the post out, I put the bike back on it's
wheels with the rear wheel elevated so all water runs to the BB. Tape
the cable guide under the BB in place, and remove the small torx bolt
that holds it in place. Again, adding a dry towel will help, but leave
it overnight and you'll get your frame plenty dry.

Old August 19th 05, 09:57 PM
Jay Beattie

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
"Bob Palermo" wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Or, if you are like me and commute in the rain for about half the
year, you bounce the bike up and down to get the big drops off,
and then you lean it against the wall in the garage, go inside
and put your cleats on the shoe dryer and get into dry clothes.
Squirt the chain with 30 weight every so often and then throw it
away when it wears out. Blast the derailleur pivots and pulleys
with some light oil now and then to supress squeaking. As the
rainy season nears an end, clean the bike off so you can see what
color it is and check for cracks, etc. Put on new Salmon Kool
Stop brake pads (I change mine at least twice a year).
Thoroughly clean and lube everything in July while watching
coverage of the Tour de France.

As far as traction goes, get a good carbon black tire -- or one
of the newer Michelins with carbon and silica in a soft compound.
I have ridden on some colored silica based tires that were pretty
bad. The early clay based colored tires were suicide in the rain.
Resign yourself to the fact that you will have to slow down when
descending twisting roads. Crashing in the rain is usually not
too bad because you slide, but on the other hand, it usually
means you destroy an expensive rain jacket or jersey or both. --
Jay Beattie.

Old August 19th 05, 10:39 PM
Bob Palermo

Hi,

To get the water out of the rear wheel, I let out most of the air and hand
cranked the pedals. A lot of the water seemed to come out. I'll try your
idea of finding the wheel holes and leaning the bike

Also, In the course of moving the bike around, I lifted the front wheel
high, with the rear wheel on the ground. About 2 ounces of water drained out
of some holes at the end of the chain stays. I was surprised to see so much
water come out. Did it get in through the bottom bracket? I'm hoping that
the holes in the chain stays were for the purpose of draining the bottom
bracket and I don't need to take out the screw at the bottom of the bottom
bracket.

Bob Palermo

oups.com...

Old August 19th 05, 11:01 PM
Ron Ruff

Bob Palermo wrote:

So, how careful do I need to be when riding on the rain? How much can you
lean before sliding out? Any other tips for riding on wet roads?

It depends on the pavement, and whether or not oil is present. If it
hasn't rained in awhile, there may be a lot of oil coming up from the
pavement (dripped from cars) that can make it slick. Also, the paint
lines can be very smooth and therefore slick when they are wet.

But most pavement is rough enough that a bicycle wheel with it's
pointed contact patch will not lose much traction. I ride in the rain a
lot and don't slow down except for a little on turns, unless I'm
crossing a paint line or see an oily spot. So far, so good...

Also, what else do I need to do? What do I need to dry? Should I lube the
chain? What about the brakes and derailleur? Anything else?

I'll tell you what works for me. I take a bucket of soapy water and a
rag and clean off the bike, and rinse with an open hose (low pressure).
Then I take it in the house and put a fan on it to dry it off. This is
an important step (especially in a humid climate) because you really
can't lube it until it is dry. After the bike is dry (couple hours), I
lube everything external (brakes, levers, derailleurs, QRs, etc) with
Gunk Silicone spray with a rag handy to catch drips and wipe, and lube
the chain. Then if I'm feeling ambitious, I'll wipe all the external
parts with Pledge. The whole bit takes around 20 minutes of work.

BTW, I just drill a hole in the bottom of the bottom bracket shell on
the frame to let the water out... I don't want my bearings sitting in a
puddle even during the ride.

Old August 20th 05, 04:00 AM

Bob Palermo wrote:
Hi,

Today while riding, I got caught in a rainstorm. It was a hard rain, though
not torrential, that lasted about 20 minutes. It wasn't real pleasant.

But it's normal. If someone doesn't get caught in the rain once in a
while, they live in an unusual climate, or they don't bike enough!

So, how careful do I need to be when riding on the rain? How much can you
lean before sliding out? Any other tips for riding on wet roads?

Well, there are things to watch for. Your braking distance will be
greater, and you probably want to be more careful braking anyway.
Obvious, I suppose.

I'm very conservative on curves in the rain. As someone else said,
roads are especially slippery during the first, oh, fifteen minutes of
rain after a dry spell, because of accumulated oil that hasn't yet
washed off. But hard rains can also wash sand or gravel onto the
roadway.

Be wary of puddles. Some puddles are actually potholes in disguise.
Hitting one can ruin your day, if not your tire and rim.

I tend to ride further into the traffic lane in the rain. There are
several reasons: The potholes are usually more to the right. Same for
the sand and gravel. Same for the glass, and wet glass goes through
wet rubber in a flash - and patching tires in the rain is the pits.
Also, road spray from cars is the pits, and riding further out usually
means they'll pass you with a wider margin.

About the bike: I really like fenders. If there's a decent chance of
rain, I'll put mine on. It takes only a few minutes, and it makes
things much more tolerable. Not pleasant, usually, but tolerable.
Don't mess with little clip-on things. Get real, full-coverage
fenders.

- Frank Krygowski

Old August 20th 05, 05:07 AM
Dave Mayer

"Bob Palermo" wrote in message
Hi,

Today while riding, I got caught in a rainstorm. When I was done, I and
my bike were soaked. In fact, when I spin the back wheel, I can hear water
sloshing. Is the water in the rim or in the hub? How do I get it out? It
seems spinning the tire gets some out a little at a time. There also seems
to be a tiny bit of sloshing in the front wheel, but much less than the
back. Any suggestions?

Also, what else do I need to do? What do I need to dry? Should I lube the
chain? What about the brakes and derailleur? Anything else?

Thanks for any advice you can give me

Bob Palermo

I live on the wet coast, and get soaked several times a year. If you are
riding a lot in the rain, especially commuting, I recommend the following
bike components:

- Old-style road hubs with lubrication ports in the middle (such as Campy
Record)
- Suntour or WTB Grease Guard headsets and bottom bracket
- A frame that has drainage in the bottom bracket and all four stays.

After I get caught in a deluge, I put the bike on the stand and squirt out
the old grease on the BB, hubs and headset with a grease gun. Takes only a
minute. The old grease generally comes out milky grey, indicating that
water and grit has gotten in. I'd hate to think of the damage that this
foul mix would cause if left to sit for a few days. If you know there is
water in your hubs or BB, then you should overhaul them ASAP.

You should lube your chain - yes, obviously.

restless rain. lowkey General 0 July 18th 05 03:46 PM
Who's up for a rain ride? Mike Jacoubowsky Rides 11 January 2nd 05 05:07 AM
RR: got caught (photos too) MattB Mountain Biking 12 September 27th 04 04:32 AM
rain + uni + puddles = FUN! daino149 Unicycling 2 March 15th 04 03:02 PM
Stupid Behavior Caught on Tape Gary Smiley General 7 September 5th 03 02:11 AM