winged dome nut (photo) and "master wrench"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 29th 16, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default winged dome nut (photo) and "master wrench"

Today I saw an interesting dome nut:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photos/nut-thin.jpg

No sides for a hex spanner to grip!

Instead two wings, like a big wing nut only
taller and with a hole for the gear chain.

It was way too hard to remove by hand power (if
that is the thought). So I used the tool on the
photo, which I suppose is for bolts and hex
nuts, but as it grips like a pipe wrench when
you pull, I thought it would eat into the soft
metal, which it did. (Yeah, I'm not gonna use
the nut again.)

I have learned thru the web the tool is called
a "master wrench" - I don't know how common
that is in your countries, here it is virtually
unknown as everyone uses the adjustable wrench.

I prefer combination spanners which you don't
have to fiddle with. Especially outdoors or in
a sub-zero degree workshop, fiddling with tools
will kill you hands. Even everywhere else,
I don't enjoy it. But in the field if
I couldn't bring the entire collection of
priceless combination spanners I would prefer
the master wrench since it is at least
self-adjustable...

Yeah, why *are* people so fond of the
adjustable wrench?