How should I attach this front rack

Old July 21st 19, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default How should I attach this front rack

When I try to braze the **** just runs away
That was on mild steel tho not bicycle tubing, I haven't tried on bicycle tubing, I guess I could and practice til I can, but that said:

how should I attach this rack to the head tube, to locate the rear of the top edge of the rack a few inches in front of the headtube?

https://tinyurl.com/y5dgsg56

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...yABEgI1xfD_BwE

I do think I could drill a hole without spidercracking it, but what then, other than brazing? Drill it for M4 or M5?
Is there stress on the headtube?
Does water already run thru there when it rains?

Forget this sillyness and just put one of those ubiquitous L-shaped silvery slotted soft steel strips under the brake mount nut?

Old July 21st 19, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 8:21:35 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
When I try to braze the **** just runs away
That was on mild steel tho not bicycle tubing, I haven't tried on bicycle tubing, I guess I could and practice til I can, but that said:

how should I attach this rack to the head tube, to locate the rear of the top edge of the rack a few inches in front of the headtube?

https://tinyurl.com/y5dgsg56

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...yABEgI1xfD_BwE

I do think I could drill a hole without spidercracking it, but what then, other than brazing? Drill it for M4 or M5?
Is there stress on the headtube?
Does water already run thru there when it rains?

Forget this sillyness and just put one of those ubiquitous L-shaped silvery slotted soft steel strips under the brake mount nut?

forgot to say, this is an old fuji
Old July 21st 19, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/21/2019 10:21 AM, Doug Landau wrote:
When I try to braze the **** just runs away
That was on mild steel tho not bicycle tubing, I haven't tried on bicycle tubing, I guess I could and practice til I can, but that said:

how should I attach this rack to the head tube, to locate the rear of the top edge of the rack a few inches in front of the headtube?

https://tinyurl.com/y5dgsg56

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...yABEgI1xfD_BwE

I do think I could drill a hole without spidercracking it, but what then, other than brazing? Drill it for M4 or M5?
Is there stress on the headtube?
Does water already run thru there when it rains?

Forget this sillyness and just put one of those ubiquitous L-shaped silvery slotted soft steel strips under the brake mount nut?

For brazing, any intro welding/brazing/soldering textbook is
worth a half hour of your time.

Clean both pieces, use appropriate temperature flux (powder
flux which clings to a hot stick or sprinkled across the
area or a paste flux). Come in directly with your flame
where you want to start the tack, that is, not obliquely to
preheat as you would a gas weld. Once material flows on your
tack, pull your torch away. If piece is correctly positioned
and brazed, flow your joint starting somewhere else.
Practice iterations on scrap cannot be emphasized enough.

That said, leave the head tube alone. Your rack secures to
the fork. Connecting the rack to fork _and_ head tube means
you can't steer!

Typical mount is with a 6mm bolt through the hole in the
crown. If no hole, make one. Alternates are on the brake
boss or on the blade:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/kfbj2.jpg

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/guntrch.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 21st 19, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 08:21:33 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

When I try to braze the **** just runs away
That was on mild steel tho not bicycle tubing,

Flux isn't going to help you brazing aluminum to steel. It is
possible to solder aluminum to steel, but the joint is usually weak,
brittle, and porous. It's cheap enough to try:
https://www.alumiweld.com
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html
Forget about using a propane torch which takes forever. Use MAPP gas
or an oxy-acetylene torch instead. Since this is soldering and the
base metals are NOT being melted, cleaning the surfaces is very
important. Spend the time to do it right.

I do think I could drill a hole without spidercracking it, but what then, other than brazing? Drill it for M4 or M5?
Is there stress on the headtube?
Does water already run thru there when it rains?

Forget this sillyness and just put one of those ubiquitous L-shaped silvery slotted soft steel strips under the brake mount nut?

Welding (not brazing or soldering) two different metals can be tricky.
The common method is to use a bi-metallic insert between the two
pieces. Basically, it's a sandwich with steel on one side, and
aluminum on the other. You weld the aluminum side first, then the
steel. Some clues he
https://www.esabna.com/us/en/education/blog/can-i-weld-aluminum-to-steel.cfm
https://triclad.com/aluminium-steel-welding/

If you're worried about corrosion, using a bi-metal strip eliminates
contact between dissimilar metals and does not create situation where
water gets between the metals and promotes electrolysis.

On the other hand, for a bicycle front rack, welding is overkill. I
suggest using metal straps to hold the rack. If you're not carrying
much weight, think about using ty-wraps or perhaps epoxy glue.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 21st 19, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 11:21:35 AM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:

Forget this sillyness and just put one of those ubiquitous L-shaped silvery slotted soft steel strips under the brake mount nut?

Yes, absolutely.

As Andrew said, you don't want to braze or weld to the head tube unless you want
to give up steering.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 22nd 19, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

If you want a head tube mounted rack, check out a supplier of Dutch bikes and accessories. You might need a longer head tube than your bike has, though. But you won't need to braze anything.

The rack you linked to is definitely fork mounted.
Old July 22nd 19, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 7:25:06 PM UTC-4, Chalo wrote:
If you want a head tube mounted rack, check out a supplier of Dutch bikes and accessories. You might need a longer head tube than your bike has, though. But you won't need to braze anything.

The rack you linked to is definitely fork mounted.

We have a pair of Bikes Friday, folding bikes with 20" wheels. We've toured with
them towing their suitcase trailers, and with large backpacks sitting vertically
on low rear racks.

I preferred the backpack method because of more convenience doing off-bike
transportation - loading them into trains, getting them up stairs in B&Bs, etc.
But while the bikes handled OK while riding, they were tippy when stopped at
a stop sign, especially because the bikes have no classic top tubes.

I've wondered about carrying a backpack vertically above the front wheel. The
bike would be less tippy, because the weight would be in line with the
handlebars.

Moultons have front racks fixed to the head tubes. I thought about building
something like that for the Fridays, although a more conventional front rack,
mounted low over the small front wheel might do as well, I suppose.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 22nd 19, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/21/2019 8:21 AM, Doug Landau wrote:
When I try to braze the **** just runs away
That was on mild steel tho not bicycle tubing, I haven't tried on bicycle tubing, I guess I could and practice til I can, but that said:

how should I attach this rack to the head tube, to locate the rear of the top edge of the rack a few inches in front of the headtube?

https://tinyurl.com/y5dgsg56

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...yABEgI1xfD_BwE

I do think I could drill a hole without spidercracking it, but what then, other than brazing? Drill it for M4 or M5?
Is there stress on the headtube?
Does water already run thru there when it rains?

Forget this sillyness and just put one of those ubiquitous L-shaped silvery slotted soft steel strips under the brake mount nut?

If you really want to mount a fork-mount rack to the head tube, there
are some devices that you could probably hack to achieve that purpose.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/racks/products/vo-decaleur-kits
Threadless headsets.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3NALZ8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DUC1MMO

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-Wave-Alloy-Headset-Bicycle-Bell-420175/205151367

Old July 22nd 19, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 10:43:47 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
[...]

You don't want to be hacking something for a front rack like that. If the rack comes loose or the fitting breaks (having NOT been designed for the rack) there could be a rather nasty accident.

Cheers
Old July 22nd 19, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Those are for mounting to the steer tube, not the head tube.

Mounting luggage to the head tube confers the advantage of not affecting the bike's steering qualities very much. I often carry more than 100 pounds on the front rack of my cycle truck, with no ill handling effects other than the increase in weight.

Anyone put a bike with a FRONT rack onto a bus? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 4 September 26th 18 12:51 AM
Diy Front Rack Mounts? fenderbender Techniques 9 May 5th 09 10:00 AM
bromton front rack cas UK 5 April 24th 07 09:21 PM
Showa Front Bag Rack [email protected] Techniques 6 August 17th 06 11:30 AM
Stratus Front Rack M. Chandler Recumbent Biking 0 November 15th 04 05:46 PM