just wondering????

Old August 6th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

Default just wondering????

I have a 26" torker and was wondering what kind of speed some of you are
getting. I only go about 6.5 mph and am riding with standard cranks.
Would shortening them speed me up much? How about some of you, what are
you riding and how fast and how far are you going? Hope to hear from
you guys.

--
rem48
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The UniSLAB

rem48 wrote:
I have a 26" torker and was wondering what kind of speed some of you are
getting. I only go about 6.5 mph and am riding with standard cranks.
Would shortening them speed me up much? How about some of you, what are
you riding and how fast and how far are you going? Hope to hear from
you guys.

Uh wouldn't longer cranks make it easier to go fast. i.e. less
revolutions and less work for you.

--
The UniSLAB
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ohcrazyone

The UniSLAB wrote:
Uh wouldn't longer cranks make it easier to go fast. i.e. less
revolutions and less work for you.

No, you're pedals don't have to travel as far with shorter cranks. You
go slower with longer cranks.

--
Ohcrazyone

'Unicore' (www.unicoreok.com)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ranger111133

definetly get shorter cranks. my friend got some on his 20 inch and we
raced and he was riding his usual speed and i was pedaling as fast as i
could. but shorter cranks do mean u can't make quick movments because
there's more tork.

--
ranger111133
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joseppi

I rode with 89 mm cranks on my 26" for a while and just flew (fast for a
26" anyway). I probably topped it out at about 10 or 11 mph. But then
I got my Nimbus 36er and I don't ride the 26 much anymore.

--
Joseppi
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

ranger111133 wrote:
definetly get shorter cranks. my friend got some on his 20 inch and we
raced and he was riding his usual speed and i was pedaling as fast as i
could. but shorter cranks do mean u can't make quick movments because
there's more tork.

its less torque I think

--
thejdw

kington99 wrote:
A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joseppi

Less indeed

--
Joseppi
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

Joseppi wrote:
I rode with 89 mm cranks on my 26" for a while and just flew (fast for a
26" anyway). I probably topped it out at about 10 or 11 mph. But then
I got my Nimbus 36er and I don't ride the 26 much anymore.

I put 90mm cranks on my 29er and did some speed runs with a bike
alongside measuring my speed. I got up to about 16mph top, but it did
feel *very* scary. There's not much leverage against the big wheel,
and also the cranks required annoyingly small movements of your foot
in order to control, which didn't really suit my riding style.

Right now I'm back to 127mm cranks, with which I can get a decent speed
on the flat whilst still having enough leverage for some lumpier
terrain. I'm probably cruising at a similar speed to the 90mm crank
setup, since I feel more in control.

What is the default crank length on the Torker 26? 127mm cranks should
feel comfortable and give a reasonable cruising speed. Shorter cranks
will boost this up a bit more once you get the feel for them but you'll
lose some control. I'd say you don't want to step straight to 90mm
cranks on a 26", try some of the "in between" lengths first to see what
feels right.

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joseppi

Yeah, default is 125 mm or 127 mm; I don't remember if it's metric or
standard, but it doesn't really matter, I guess. I'd say short cranks
are good if you're going somewhere close by and you just want to speed
there; but I've done a lot of distance riding lately, and I've
developed a new appreciation for (comparatively) longer cranks--they
just don't tear up your muscles as fast.

--
Joseppi
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

Joseppi wrote:
Yeah, default is 125 mm or 127 mm; I don't remember if it's metric or
standard, but it doesn't really matter, I guess. I'd say short cranks
are good if you're going somewhere close by and you just want to speed
there; but I've done a lot of distance riding lately, and I've
developed a new appreciation for (comparatively) longer cranks--they
just don't tear up your muscles as fast.

Ah OK. Well I guess for the original poster, trying 114mm cranks and
then maybe 100mm would be a good way to try to increase his speed a
bit.

That said, with practise I'd expect he could learn to spin faster on
his current crank length. That would imply getting more used to the
uni and spinning the pedals smoothly. It can require more aerobic
fitness, but that's good for you, right I find it helps to put as
much weight as possible on the saddle so that your feet can spin round
smoothly, rather than putting lots of weight on the pedals and
"stamping" on each downstroke.

I find it feels almost like floating when you get spinning working well
(albeit with your legs working frantically!). Just be careful to
maintain contact with the pedals - sometimes I rest my feet so lightly
on the pedals that they come off, which doesn't always end well for me!

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
http://www.usenet.com

Been Wondering Where Tam Is?? Gags Australia 13 June 25th 07 10:10 PM
Just wondering Terri Rides 1 June 23rd 06 06:38 PM
I was wondering.... dragondelano Unicycling 2 October 18th 05 01:17 AM
Wondering which 24" MUni is better ColDawG Unicycling 8 March 19th 05 11:23 PM
just wondering supertones Unicycling 6 December 23rd 03 11:33 AM