My Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Need to Be Replaced - What's The Best Deal For Less Than $180.00?

Old August 7th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fitz

Default My Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Need to Be Replaced - What's The Best Deal For Less Than $180.00?

I really like these (with the six-inch rotors), but I bought them four
years ago. I'm sure the market has changed. Is there a better setup
than these out there? Thanks for your advice.

Fitz

Old August 7th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Aug 6, 11:47 pm, Fitz wrote:
I really like these (with the six-inch rotors), but I bought them four
years ago. I'm sure the market has changed. Is there a better setup
than these out there? Thanks for your advice.

Fitz

Do they work OK? What problem are you trying to solve or question you
are trying to answer with new disc brakes? Just 'something new', save
your $ or put it into a better front suspension or rear if it's full
sus..or into a ride trip or any of a number of things for $180.

Old August 7th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Fitz wrote:
I really like these (with the six-inch rotors), but I bought them four
years ago. I'm sure the market has changed. Is there a better setup
than these out there? Thanks for your advice.

Fitz

no, everything works just the same. you're welcome.
Old August 7th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris Nelson

On Aug 7, 1:47 am, Fitz wrote:
I really like these (with the six-inch rotors), but I bought them four
years ago. I'm sure the market has changed. Is there a better setup
than these out there? Thanks for your advice.

Fitz

XT hydros are excellent IMO, the newer ones even better. If yours
still work, change the fluid, replace the pads and keep the change.
Check the rotors for wear.

You don't need more than 6" unless you do long downhills and your
brakes start to fade before you get to the bottom.

Chris

Old August 8th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D T W .../\\...

Will the Shimano disk hubs work with other brake systems?
--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

"

Old August 8th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Gravrock

On 2007-08-07, D T W .../\... wrote:
Will the Shimano disk hubs work with other brake systems?

Not directly, but you can get an adapter to allow you to mount
non-Shimano discs on Shimano centerlock hubs:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ywo229, or
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14156-220_DTSCA5-3-Parts-158-Brakes/Disc/DT-Swiss-Center-Lock-(IST)-Adapter.htm

Shimano does make hubs that use the standard 6-bolt mount, but as you're
using a Shimano brake system it's a fairly safe bet that you have
centerlock hubs.