Double Tubing Update

Old December 27th 11, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_2_]

Default Double Tubing Update

It had turned into a great day. After about 55 miles into my 95 mi.
trip I had a slight wind pushing me along and I was going to make some
time. The asphalt had buckled against the expansion joints but no
need to slow down or swerve. I was double tubed.

The first bad bump was about 5" above the bridge deck. The front
wheel came down not quiet properly aligned with the direction of
motion and the water bottle flew out. I recovered the water bottle
and quickly resumed riding in the same fashion. A mile later the same
happened again except with a softer bounce. The water bottle stayed
put. The front tire was definitely softer than when I started out. I
thought, finally an opportunity to ride on one tube but it quickly
became clear that _both_ tubes had pinch flat punctures.

This brought up one advantage of double tubing. If the innertube
rubber is pretty thick and if you shift as much weight as possible to
the back wheel, you can more or less ride on the flat tire for short
distances.

I'll check to see if the punctures on each tube are side by side
indicating that both pinch flats happened on the same bump.

If not then the usage other cyclists have been recommending may hold.
Once one tube goes down then inflate the other tube, at least on
longer trips.

Bret Cahill

Old December 30th 11, 05:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_2_]

[...]

Two punctures lined up, side by side, but a shard of glass still in
the tire indicated it wasn't a pinch flat over one bad bump. It
wouldn't have been a likely scenario for me to get the glass out
before the 2nd tube went down.

What's really curious is the 2 tubes only leak in two places each
after 33 miles of rim riding.

Bret Cahill

Old December 30th 11, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Dec 30, 4:54*am, Bret Cahill wrote:
[...]

Bret Cahill- Hide quoted text -

Get some Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres.
Pump up to 120 psi.
The end.

--
Simon Mason
Old December 30th 11, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

[...]

The perceived risk of further punctures has been a concern of mine
when getting a flat on tubular tyres, which is why I'll pump the tyres
back up as soon as the rims are knocking and see how long they hold.
With your report here, I may continue to ride on the rim for longer
than I have previously, just as one should to finish a bicycle race.
Old December 30th 11, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_2_]

[...]

You'd have to have quite a lead or be near the finish for that to
work. Also two flattened tubes will holdup better than just one, 2
thick wall tubes a lot better. Also the tire casing/belts will
probably be damaged. If it's damaged the tire will be lumpy when it's
reinflated to full pressure. I'll pump this one up in increments with
a single tube to save time but it's all but certain to rip apart above
45 psi.

Bret Cahill

Old December 30th 11, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_2_]

[...]

I'll continue my testing. This will require a lot of riding for a
good cost benefit risk analysis.

Bret Cahill

Old December 30th 11, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith[_8_]

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 22:26:07 -0800, Simon Mason couldnae haud thur wheesht
ony mair an' gied us this:

On Dec 30, 4:54Â*am, Bret Cahill wrote:
It had turned into a great day. Â*After about 55 miles into my 95 mi.
trip I had a slight wind pushing me along and I was going to make
some time. Â*The asphalt had buckled against the expansion joints but
no need to slow down or swerve. Â*I was double tubed.

The first bad bump was about 5" above the bridge deck. Â*The front
wheel came down not quiet properly aligned with the direction of
motion and the water bottle flew out. Â*I recovered the water bottle
and quickly resumed riding in the same fashion. Â*A mile later the
same happened again except with a softer bounce. Â*The water bottle
stayed put. Â*The front tire was definitely softer than when I started
out. Â*I thought, finally an opportunity to ride on one tube but it
quickly became clear that _both_ tubes had pinch flat punctures.

This brought up one advantage of double tubing. Â*If the innertube
rubber is pretty thick and if you shift as much weight as possible to
the back wheel, you can more or less ride on the flat tire for short
distances.

I'll check to see if the punctures on each tube are side by side
indicating that both pinch flats happened on the same bump.

If not then the usage other cyclists have been recommending may hold.
Once one tube goes down then inflate the other tube, at least on
longer trips.

Two punctures lined up, side by side, but a shard of glass still in the
tire indicated it wasn't a pinch flat over one bad bump. Â*It wouldn't
have been a likely scenario for me to get the glass out before the 2nd
tube went down.

What's really curious is the 2 tubes only leak in two places each after
33 miles of rim riding.

Bret Cahill- Hide quoted text -

Get some Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres.
Pump up to 120 psi.
The end.

On 2 separate occasions, I recently cycled home about 8 miles each time
on a flat Marathon Plus tyre. It felt ok (back wheel) as long as I didn't
sit down passing over rough sections. Decided it would be quicker to ride
slowly, than stop to fix the puncture, as the tyres are such a tight fit
on my rims, this would be a c.half-hour job (in miserably cold rain).

As it turned out, the punctures were caused by bad rim tape, rather than
the tyre itself, so M+'s are still wonderful, even when deliberately run
flat. :-)

--
Perpetual Calendar - http://www.1r5.net
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/1r5.net
Old December 31st 11, 03:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_2_]

[...]

The tire held up at 50 psi.

My doctor just told me to start eating steak, whatever it takes to get
my weight up to 200 lbs.

That's not gonna happen but I will eat a steak tonight.

Bret Cahill

Old December 31st 11, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

Bret Cahill wrote:

[...]

it's not really likely that any sharp will not puncture both in a very
short space of time.

which kind of begs the question whats the point?

What's really curious is the 2 tubes only leak in two places each
after 33 miles of rim riding.

Bret Cahill

Sorry but I really can't see this being anything but a solution looking
for a problem.

tubeless tyres seem to be catching on slowly or simply robust tyres.

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old December 31st 11, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_2_]

[...]

Tire pressure needs to be monitored more closely. This is very easy.

it's not really likely that any sharp will not puncture both in a very
short space of time.

It depends on several factors, the locations of most punctures on the
tire, the size of the tires and the location of the "seam" between the
two tubes, the puncturing object, pinch flats, riding style.

Obviously a larger tire presents a larger target so a typical
puncturing object will tend to be further away from the seam.

which kind of begs the question whats the point?

R & D. It'll take a at least 10,000 miles to get an idea and that's
deliberately swerving for glass, thorns, etc.

The Titantic was a good idea. The owners just didn't do enough
research before they declared, at least in their minds, that it was
unsinkable. My mistake wasn't nearly as bad because, after all, I
never really stopped. I just dropped my speed to 12 mph.

What's really curious is the 2 tubes only leak in two places each
after 33 miles of rim riding.

Sorry but I really can't see this being anything but a solution looking
for a problem.

There's no such thing as one solution.

tubeless tyres seem to be catching on slowly or simply robust tyres.

I like to ride tires down to the fabric. Personal transportation
should cost less than 0.03 cents/mile.

The biggest advantage of double tubing may be the ability to ride on
two flattened tubes without damaging the tire casing. Usually when an
under inflated tire hits a pot hole or is ridden on the rim and then
is re inflated to full pressure the belts rip diagonally and the tire
becomes too lumpy for a smooth ride. Yesterday I pumped the tire --
single tubed -- up to 50 psi yesterday with no problems after riding a
few miles. I just pumped it up to 65 psi and will try that for a 30
mile in a few minutes. I'll then try 80 then 90 psi, the rated
pressure, to see if double tubing saved the tire.

Part of the protection is due to the extra rubber from 2 tubes but
most of it is the tubes don't bunch up. The tubes are glued together
and pegged in two places instead of one by the valve stems. Both 700
c / 27" tubes are thin wall ~ 125 gms.

Roger
--www.rogermerriman.com- Hide quoted text -

Double talk about double cross? DirtRoadie Racing 31 July 11th 09 04:57 PM
Frame tubing? Wilfred Kazoks Australia 2 June 25th 06 04:01 PM
Steerer Tubing John Techniques 11 February 1st 06 07:53 AM
Double-double (Or abort, abort, long story, short ride) G.T. Mountain Biking 2 September 19th 05 11:40 PM
Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it? emma UK 17 May 13th 05 01:04 AM