Alarm lock

Old July 11th 19, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Alarm lock

Bought this today at a "mom and pop" hardware store. At $13, I thought the price was quite reasonable.

Searches for it lead me to believe the company is no longer in business though.

https://imgur.com/a/mHSoIA5

It has an alarm built in that detects movement a certain number of times and then sounds a 110 decimal alarm. Resets itself etc.

It uses 9 LR44 batteries which last around 2 years.

I think it is closer to 90 - 100 decibels.

What do you think?

Andy
Old July 11th 19, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 21:05:35 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

Bought this today at a "mom and pop" hardware store. At $13, I thought the price was quite reasonable.
Searches for it lead me to believe the company is no longer in business though.
https://imgur.com/a/mHSoIA5
It has an alarm built in that detects movement a certain number of times and then sounds a 110 decimal alarm. Resets itself etc.
It uses 9 LR44 batteries which last around 2 years.
I think it is closer to 90 - 100 decibels.
What do you think?
Andy

Adding an alarm to a bad lock does not magically make it a good and
secure lock.

"[505] Chinese "AlarmLock" Picked Without Triggering Siren
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj9kh5Guz6M

"[507] AlarmLock Revisited... With a Hammer!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzb74kzFAIs

The "lock picking lawyer" is quite good at picking, bypassing, and
destructive entry.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 11th 19, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

Duh. I just noticed another problem. The pot metal lock case does a
fairly good job of blocking the high frequency beeper sounds. So,
holes in the lock case are needed to make the beeper heard. All that
is necessary to silence the beeping is plug up the holes with putty or
wrap the holes with a towel. It could be beeping away merrily and
nobody would hear it while I pick the lock.

Old July 11th 19, 12:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

In case you did not notice, but it took minutes.

If you tamper or move the lock, it goes off at around 110 decibels.

1. I now know that someone is trying to steal my bike

2. I then decide if I club that person over the head before calling police

3. If I have my swiss army knife with me, I could engage the long blade and practice my knife throwing skills if he has realized his folly and flees the scene.

I think I can make 60 mph.

Try to think before posting.

Andy
Old July 11th 19, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

And in the 2nd video, he disengages the alarm feature by reversing the shackle.

The author gets low points in the I.Q. department.

I give him a 20.

Andy
Old July 11th 19, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

So Jeff.

Do you want to know how I rate your I.Q.?

Andy
Old July 11th 19, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/10/2019 11:05 PM, AK wrote:
Bought this today at a "mom and pop" hardware store. At $13, I thought the price was quite reasonable.

Searches for it lead me to believe the company is no longer in business though.

https://imgur.com/a/mHSoIA5

It has an alarm built in that detects movement a certain number of times and then sounds a 110 decimal alarm. Resets itself etc.

It uses 9 LR44 batteries which last around 2 years.

I think it is closer to 90 - 100 decibels.

What do you think?

Andy

Do you run outside every time you hear a car alarm? No one
else does either.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 11th 19, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 5:05:38 AM UTC+1, AK wrote:
Bought this today at a "mom and pop" hardware store. At $13, I thought the price was quite reasonable.

Searches for it lead me to believe the company is no longer in business though.

https://imgur.com/a/mHSoIA5

It has an alarm built in that detects movement a certain number of times and then sounds a 110 decimal alarm. Resets itself etc.

It uses 9 LR44 batteries which last around 2 years.

I think it is closer to 90 - 100 decibels.

What do you think?

Andy

Better to save up your money for one of the Abus Granit-X D-lock types, which will succumb only to an angle grinder wielded for an unconscioable time. If you clip the Abus to the seat tube with the quick release clip that Abus also sells (maine came with it) you can use it like a 3-pound hammer to defend yourself against rogue SUVs that come too close.

All the same, I don't carry mine any more. Instead I have a steering lock, called an n'lock, all lower case, a Swiss engineering marvel which makes the bike unrideable by unlocking the handlebars from the steering tube, and is much more convenient than bending over the bike to fit a D-lock.

In between the two proven security devices above in convenience is the ring lock, which is immovably fixed to the frame in the rear triangle and curves around between the spokes when its lever is operated to stop the wheel turning.

You can look up the references for yourself. I'd lay off the snide remarks about Jeff Liebermann, if I were you. Jeff is a very helpful guy, and I can't remember when he was last proved wrong. Certainly, that Jeff thinks you have the wrong end of the stick inclines me to believe the chances are north of eighty per cent that you don't know what you're talking about.

Andre Jute
The First Rule of Component Club is...Don't argue with Jeff!
Old July 11th 19, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 8:10:33 AM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

You are entitled to your opinion.

But I feel opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one.

Andy
Old July 11th 19, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I apologize for much of what I said.

You were trying to help with limited knowledge of the actual lock.

You have given me ideas on how to improve the lock.

Like positioning it so it is much harder to break open using a hammer.

Andy

Am NOT alone in my alarm [email protected] Australia 40 December 22nd 08 03:28 PM
alarm lock trino General 1 July 20th 06 02:05 AM
FS Master Lock Street Cuff 9-Link Bike Lock [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 21st 05 08:06 AM
A new lock cable idea, was Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen John Thompson Techniques 2 October 10th 04 02:15 PM
A new lock cable idea, was Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen Matt O'Toole Techniques 30 October 10th 04 02:10 PM