Pinch bolts

Old May 27th 05, 01:47 PM
Dukester

Default Pinch bolts

Replacing the cable on my rear derailler (old Shimano - at work & can't
remember the exact #) and misplaced the "derailler pinch bolt & washer" that
holds the cable in. (This is what Park Tool calls them anyway.) I tried a
regular old nut & washer but the cable slips out of the washer when
tightened. From another bike I have it looks as if there is a ridge on the
washer that guides the cable and prevents it from slipping.

I can't find anything of the sort on sites like Supergo, Nashbar, etc.
Where can one purchase these at or is there a substitution I can make? My
LBS was no help except to offer selling me a new derailler.

Cheers!
Duke

Old May 27th 05, 03:50 PM

shimano developed elegant methods for holding the wires in place!
a USS flat washer, triangular file, and vise griops to hold washer will
produce a washer.
the complete rig may be found at the flea market.
cleaning and coating the wire with red locktite helps-binding wire to
screw and washer?
let setup

Old May 27th 05, 03:53 PM
Neil Brooks

Check he http://snipurl.com/f6uu

Old May 27th 05, 05:30 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Dukester" wrote: (clip) My LBS was no help except to offer selling me a
new derailler.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Any LBS that's been in business for more than a few weeks will have boxes of
loose parts like this. Trying to use this as an opportunity to sell a new
derailer is shameful. I would buy from them again only in a real emergency,
and treat everything they say with a grain of salt.

Old May 27th 05, 07:25 PM
Neil Brooks

"Dukester" wrote:

What am I looking for on this page?

I can't find anything of the sort on sites like Supergo, Nashbar, etc.
Where can one purchase these at or is there a substitution I can make?

My
LBS was no help except to offer selling me a new derailler.

Check he http://snipurl.com/f6uu\

I'd call loosescrews.com.

If you take a look at that, and the next page (items 11-19), you'll
see that they have a pretty good selection of small RD parts,
including 'cable fixing bolt units--' presumably what you need.

Call 'em up. Tell 'em, specifically, whatchoogot, and see if they
can't hook you up.

Good luck.
Old May 27th 05, 08:30 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Dukester wrote:

Replacing the cable on my rear derailler (old Shimano - at work & can't
remember the exact #) and misplaced the "derailler pinch bolt & washer" that
holds the cable in. (This is what Park Tool calls them anyway.) I tried a
regular old nut & washer but the cable slips out of the washer when
tightened. From another bike I have it looks as if there is a ridge on the
washer that guides the cable and prevents it from slipping.

Can't you just hacksaw a groove in a plain washer?
Old May 28th 05, 10:00 AM
A Muzi

Dukester wrote:

Replacing the cable on my rear derailler (old Shimano - at work & can't
remember the exact #) and misplaced the "derailler pinch bolt & washer" that
holds the cable in. (This is what Park Tool calls them anyway.) I tried a
regular old nut & washer but the cable slips out of the washer when
tightened. From another bike I have it looks as if there is a ridge on the
washer that guides the cable and prevents it from slipping.

I can't find anything of the sort on sites like Supergo, Nashbar, etc.
Where can one purchase these at or is there a substitution I can make? My
LBS was no help except to offer selling me a new derailler.

They are quite similar among Shimano changers and easy to
find on discarded units. That part seldom fails. A competent
LBS which commonly services bicycles will have a new one -
all models are very available and cheap.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old May 28th 05, 05:48 PM

zog has no file?

Old May 28th 05, 07:45 PM
Zog The Undeniable

zog has no file?

Not that thin, but I do have two hacksaws.

Easton EA70 stem AC Techniques 10 November 17th 04 07:00 AM
Ti Bolts for Ritchey Stem 8cht Racing 26 May 14th 04 03:50 AM
FS: New Titanium Bolts, axles, derailleur pulleys, more Kristan Roberge Marketplace 0 January 12th 04 12:02 AM
FS: New Titanium Bolts, Axles, Pulleys, Posts, BBs Kristan Roberge Marketplace 0 January 5th 04 01:18 PM
FS: New Ti bolts, axles, pulleys, and more Kristan Roberge Marketplace 1 November 13th 03 12:43 AM