wrong-way sidewalk rider gets comeuppance

Old October 5th 05, 01:25 AM
Ben Pfaff

Default wrong-way sidewalk rider gets comeuppance

I got off the train today on my way home, carried my bike down
the steps, and started riding, with a guy on a low-end mountain
bike close behind me. As I stopped at the first stop sign and
prepared to turn left, the other guy swerved across the traffic
lane and hopped onto the narrow sidewalk going the wrong way. At
this point I was paying attention to my left hand turn, not to
him, but as I completed the turn I heard a loud metal *clang!* I
looked across the street and there was wrong-way bike guy, having
clearly run his pedals and his foot or knee straight into a metal
pole. I paused and asked him whether he was okay. He had to
wince with pain for a few seconds before he was finally able to
say that he was fine. I enjoyed finally seeing someone get what
he deserved (in a way that didn't involve permanent injury or
death).
--
Ben Pfaff
email:
Old October 5th 05, 01:51 AM
Paul Hobson

Ben Pfaff wrote:
I got off the train today on my way home, carried my bike down
the steps, and started riding, with a guy on a low-end mountain
bike close behind me. As I stopped at the first stop sign and
prepared to turn left, the other guy swerved across the traffic
lane and hopped onto the narrow sidewalk going the wrong way. At
this point I was paying attention to my left hand turn, not to
him, but as I completed the turn I heard a loud metal *clang!* I
looked across the street and there was wrong-way bike guy, having
clearly run his pedals and his foot or knee straight into a metal
pole. I paused and asked him whether he was okay. He had to
wince with pain for a few seconds before he was finally able to
say that he was fine. I enjoyed finally seeing someone get what
he deserved (in a way that didn't involve permanent injury or
death).

Riding frequently on campus, I often inform people that it is just as
illegal to ride on sidewalks and the wrong way on the street as it is to
speed or ride without a seatbelt in a car (in GA, at least). Every
single one has been slack-jawed surprised (well, one Asian grad student
with little knowledge of English was worried that I was going to arrest
him, but we'll through that case out). And almost equally universally,
they did not understand why.

This would have been a great chance to explain the rules and why they
are set up in such a way.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old October 5th 05, 03:17 AM

Ben Pfaff wrote:

I enjoyed finally seeing someone get what
he deserved (in a way that didn't involve permanent injury or
death).

Jesus, what a self-righteous douche.

Old October 5th 05, 04:41 AM
Bill Henry

Ben Pfaff wrote:
I got off the train today on my way home, carried my bike down
the steps, and started riding, with a guy on a low-end mountain
bike close behind me. As I stopped at the first stop sign and
prepared to turn left, the other guy swerved across the traffic
lane and hopped onto the narrow sidewalk going the wrong way. At
this point I was paying attention to my left hand turn, not to
him, but as I completed the turn I heard a loud metal *clang!* I
looked across the street and there was wrong-way bike guy, having
clearly run his pedals and his foot or knee straight into a metal
pole. I paused and asked him whether he was okay. He had to
wince with pain for a few seconds before he was finally able to
say that he was fine. I enjoyed finally seeing someone get what
he deserved (in a way that didn't involve permanent injury or
death).

Though it bugs me to see people riding illegally, I don't go out of my
way to inform someone that what they're doing is wrong. I've never
found a polite way to correct somebody without sounding like a jerk.

I also don't take pleasure in seeing people get hurt on a bike, whether
they're in the wrong or not. When I see someone riding illegally, I
assume that he/she simply doesn't know the rule. While ignorance of the
law is not an "excuse", I'm more willing to cut somebody some slack and
be lenient in my judgment. After all, I rode a bike before I knew all
the bike laws and I know a lot of others do, too.
Old October 5th 05, 05:20 AM
Marlene Blanshay

Paul Hobson wrote:
Ben Pfaff wrote:

[...]

I agree it's good to see someone get their just desserts, as long as it
doesn't involve serious injury. I'm always having to get out of the way
of those morons, and they just ignore it when I yell at them. I'm sick
of them playing chicken- but i know one day they'll get in trouble. I
see a lot of them without helmets too- hey, it's their f*cking skull.
Old October 5th 05, 05:20 AM
Fritz M

Rich wrote:

All most all your posts are critical. You're kind of a jerk.

Which is kind of weird, since in his book Robert preaches that we
should all just relax, take it easy, live and let live and not get
uptight about the jerks around us.

But yeah, it's slightly lame to get happy about a dude running into a
pole, IMHO.

RFM

Old October 5th 05, 06:09 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Ben Pfaff writes:

But I get tired of
seeing idiots on bikes doing stupid things that make the rest of
us look bad.

But they don't. If they make anybody look bad,
it's only themselves. Same goes for idiots in
cars doing stupid things. If all drivers were
rated by their actions, nobody would be allowed
to drive.

cheers,
Tom

--