Which is harder to learn--Unicycling or Slacklining???

Old November 18th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
davidehlers

Default Which is harder to learn--Unicycling or Slacklining???

I am 49 years old and learned how to ride the unicycle about 3 years
ago. Now I am also thinking of learning how to "Slackline". Both
unicycling and "slacklining" seem to have a couple of things in common
in that they both require concentration and balance.

For those of you that ride a unicycle and also slackline which would
you say is harder to learn??? Also which activity would you say has a
higher incidence of injuries???

For those of you that don't know what slacklining is click on the link
below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnU9Sa0530Y

--
davidehlers
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 18th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Wow, looks like fun. Also looks like a good way to break an ankle or
two. Actually unicycling is good like that too.

I guess the basics can't be much harder than learning to unicycle, but
the difficulty must surely depend on the level of tricks you're trying
to do.

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

Email me for details.
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 18th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniTyler

I've recently learned to slackline, and I can say that, in my
circumstances, unicycling was much harder to learn.

It took me about three hour-long sessions to be able to walk an entire
45 foot line proficiently.

As for unicycling (which I learned at around age 9), it took me weeks
to learn.

One explanation for this is, of course, my unicycling skill and balance
contributed to learning to slack. So, take it with a grain of salt.

I still think that, in general, unicycling is more difficult, for
various reasons.

--
UniTyler

johnfoss wrote:
Butthole.

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 18th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
James_Potter

Slacklining is definitely way easier...you can learn to balance and
maybe walk after a coupe hours of practice.

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john
lennon
'*mikael atkinson*' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
*♥ Unicycle For Peace ♥*
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 18th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jordan

slacklining is easier to learn but both totally kick ass. enjoy!

--
Jordan
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 18th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Triball

Damn, we were about ten years too late to plant trees in our backyard

--
Triball

Pay for you gas or loose your ID
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 18th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

Triball wrote:
Damn, we were about ten years too late to plant trees in our backyard

(sorry about the threadjack)

|Filename: tree1 small.jpg |

thejdw

I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!
kington99 wrote:
A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage

don't follow Jesus, follow me!

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 18th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
seriousslacker

Slacklining is easy to learn, although a lot depends on the length and
height of the line. I would say unicycling is easy to learn, also. I
guess it depends on how you qualify easy. To get past the basics of
just staying on the line it requires more time. As you get better you
can try it with your eyes closed, hands behind your back, jump turns,
surfing, etc. It is as easy or difficult as you want to make it, just
like uni. The biggest difference I noticed was that slacklining is more
about side to side balance as you walk forwards or backwards on the
line, while uni is more about front to back balance. For a variation
try to put your feet perpendicular to the slackline. Uni and slacking
both require perseverance like any activity that you want to get better
at. They are both a lot of fun.

You can get hurt slacking, but it would be rare if you are on grass and
your line is less than 50 feet long. Uni is definitely more dangerous
than slacklining. When you start walking lines over 100+ feet they can
be a little trickier, and require good dismounting skills. I do not
wear a helmet or pads when slacking, unless I'm highlining and could
slam my head into the side of the canyon wall. I always wear a helmet
and pads when I go Muni'ing.

I'm only 44, and have to decide what new sports to take up after this!
Kite surfing, kayak polo...hmmm???

--
seriousslacker
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 18th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniDudeDX

i dont know how to slack line. ive tried it but never gave much effort.
i thinkit would be relatively easy to leard. but again, its about what
you do on it. as for unicycling, it took me about a weekend of all day
practicing to be able to ride a few feet. weeks to get really good at
it. im not sure what im trying to say but thats my input.

--
UniDudeDX

Jerrick wrote:
I think we should get off the topic off kinky/horny girls and unicycles,
and back to creepy horny men.

thejdw wrote:
Cocain has very good commpression propities, great for side hops and
large drops.

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 18th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

It looks like a lot of fun but you need too much equipment and set up
time. Throw the Uni in the car, take it out, and you're in business. I
think if you have the trees in your yard and you can leave one up for a
prolonged period of time then do both.

--
rem48
http://www.usenet.com